Princess Amsterdam On Your Own Excursion

Trying to find out the drop off point for the Princess OYO tour in Amsterdam. Just says city centre. Thanks!

Does you ship actually dock in Amsterdam?

If so, I am wondering why you need to book anything through your ship if you intend to DIY. Amsterdam is a very walkable city and so very easy to navigate. From the cruise terminal, you can catch tram #26 to centraal station (takes about 3 minutes to reach the station). It is a very short walk from centraal station to Dam Square (maybe that is the 'city center' referenced by Princess). You can also catch trams from central station to Dam Square, Museumplein (for Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh), Westerkerk (Anne Frank House)or just about anywhere you wish to go. Amsterdam has a wonderful tram system.

I see you are docking in Rotterdam

You could easily take the train to Amsterdam probably cheaper than the Princess transfer

Have you asked on the Princess forum maybe others have done this stop before

Edited by LHT28

In the past (maybe also now) buses used to load and unload at Museumplein, which is almost next to Rijksmuseum and van Goghmuseum.

Indeed train is a good option, you need to get a tram or metro at the white bridge near the terminal to Rotterdam Centraal.

More about trains here: http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

We took this "on your own" tour with Princess a number of years ago and it dropped us off very close to the Van Gogh Museum, sounds like exactly where Ine said.

Excellent, thanks! We normally DIY completely but our travel companions are nervous about the 1.5 hour trip each way from Rotterdam to Amsterdam so we are going along!

Our ship will overnight in Rotterdam in September and I was thinking about doing a ship's tour to Amsterdam, but after looking at the train schedules it looks much more convenient and cheaper to arrange our own transportation. I presume we would buy roundtrip/return tickets from Rotterdam Central station to Amsterdam Central. Are there easy public transportation connections from the Port to the Train station in Rotterdam? Do we need to buy tickets in advance? Since we are staying overnight, we could take a fairly late train from Amsterdam back to Rotterdam, but just wondering if it's safe for two women traveling alone, particularly getting back to the ship from the Rotterdam train station after 2100. Any advice would be appreciated. We have already booked advance tickets to the Rikjsmuseum and Ann Frank House,,so we just need to arrange transportation. I like the flexibility of doing it on our own rather than taking the ship's tour.

Our ship will overnight in Rotterdam in September and I was thinking about doing a ship's tour to Amsterdam, but after looking at the train schedules it looks much more convenient and cheaper to arrange our own transportation. I presume we would buy roundtrip/return tickets from Rotterdam Central station to Amsterdam Central. Are there easy public transportation connections from the Port to the Train station in Rotterdam? Do we need to buy tickets in advance? Since we are staying overnight, we could take a fairly late train from Amsterdam back to Rotterdam, but just wondering if it's safe for two women traveling alone, particularly getting back to the ship from the Rotterdam train station after 2100. Any advice would be appreciated. We have already booked advance tickets to the Rikjsmuseum and Ann Frank House,,so we just need to arrange transportation. I like the flexibility of doing it on our own rather than taking the ship's tour.

Traintravel is very safe and easy to do. Frequent trains between Rotterdam Centraal and Amsterdam Centraal. More info here: http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

Just buy tickets at the window (small surcharge) or machines. Be aware not all machines take creditcards and you need a PIN. Day return tickets are valid the whole day, not 24 hrs.

From the cruise terminal you can either take a metro or tram to Rtm Centraal. Tram takes a little longer but then you get an idea about Rotterdam. Also that is very safe. You need to walk a short distance to/from the train/metro, but it is not so busy at night there. Since your ship will dock there I am sure you will see more people walking around.

Using the IntercityDirect fast train (small fee) will get you from Rotterdam CS to Amsterdam CS in about an half hour.

From Erasmus Bridge/Rotterdam cruise terminal to Rotterdam CS is an easy metro ride, just a few minutes.

Use regular caution when riding the metro, Rotterdam downtown isn't less safe or safer than Amsterdam downtown, no worries.