Total Solar Eclipse - 9 March 2016. Cruise Ships?

By The Bay

I have discovered that Sea Princess will be in position on the Java Sea to observe a total eclipse on the 9 March 2016, weather permitting. She is departing and returning to Sydney on a 42 night tour, which includes Japan. Does anyone know of any other cruises observing the eclipse?

There are at least two others: Holland America's Volendam will sail r.t. Singapore, from March 1-17, 2016. And Silversea's 120 passenger expedition ship, the Silver Discoverer sails Feb. 27 to March 14, 2016, with keynote speaker Jerry Ross (former American astronaut).

There are at least two others: Holland America's Volendam will sail r.t. Singapore, from March 1-17, 2016. And Silversea's 120 passenger expedition ship, the Silver Discoverer sails Feb. 27 to March 14, 2016, with keynote speaker Jerry Ross (former American astronaut).

Thanks jmf123.:)

This would be SO COOL to witness on a cruise. I'd love to get on that Silversea ship but I bet it's $$$! I can dream...

I was lucky to witness a total eclipse in November 2012 on the Dawn Princess off Port Douglass in Northern Australia. I so want to see another one.

For you Americans, there is a total eclipse in US of A in 2017.;)

I got to see a total lunor eclipse this year while on the Queen Victoria's world cruise. We were in the Carribean at the time.

On the same cruise, we crossed the equator the same day the sun did for the first day of spring. It was noon and the sun was directly overhead, no shadows.

Don

Here's another option (we have travelled with this line before - they are great) we received from Coral Princess Cruises in Australia for their cruise to see the eclipse. We've been up through PNG on this ship before, so wont do it again this time, but imagine it will be a fantastic trip.

Coral Princess Cruises Solar Eclipse Expedition 2016

Happy NYE to all...

• 6 months later...

I decided to go on the 17 day Holland America's Volendam, the starting price of $2k pp for an inside cabin makes it economical. We will get a 2 min 45 sec of totality at 8:30 am vs. 4 min at it's max (which I assume is at noon time).

I witnessed the total eclipse in July 1972 in Nova Scotia, the one Carly Simon sang about in "You're so Vain."

I was a very special experience. One thing you may not get so much at sea is the silence that happened. The birds and other wildlife went silent which added to the awe of the experience.

• 7 months later...

I was on the same ship with my family. We sat near the two hot tubs just above the pool deck to watch the eclipse. Now I want to find a ship that will be sailing off the coast of the US for the 2017 solar eclipse...