Sail away time Lapse, Miami?

Extra Kim

We are doing our first cruise from Miami (have done cruises from other ports before). I want to make a time lapse with my GoPro and my Sony HDR AS-100. on which side of the ship do you recommend that I put my cameras? It takes a while to put them up good, in other words, I do not have the time to go between the port and starboard after we leave the dock.

We are leaving on Majesty Of The Seas if that matters.

My first time doing time lapse, I didn't used enough frames per minute and the sail away from port Everglades didn't turn out that well.

What settings should I use on a moving ship one pic every 1, 2, 5

seconds ?

We are doing our first cruise from Miami (have done cruises from other ports before). I want to make a time lapse with my GoPro and my Sony HDR AS-100. on which side of the ship do you recommend that I put my cameras? It takes a while to put them up good, in other words, I do not have the time to go between the port and starboard after we leave the dock.

We are leaving on Majesty Of The Seas if that matters.

My first time doing time lapse, I didn't used enough frames per minute and the sail away from port Everglades didn't turn out that well.

What settings should I use on a moving ship one pic every 1, 2, 5

seconds ?

Is there a ferry boat anywhere near where you live? Although it wouldn't be the same as being on a cruise ship, you could set up on it to experiment and see what camera positions and which time lapse settings would work best to give you the results you'd like to have.

There are several things to consider. As you sail out, the prettier view will be on the port side. However, if there are other ships still in port, they will be docked on your starboard side... And if Majesty did not turn around when she came in, she will have to sail down to the turning basin, and then sail out, so views would change with your direction...

I see there will be three other ships in Miami, but two will be leaving before you do (if the schedule is followed). And I think Majesty docks at the west end of the pier.

You might also enjoy catching the sail-in at Nassau.

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx?sailID=RCIMJ1/29/2016

You might watch a few sail aways on the Miami webcam to see what happens...

http://www.portmiamiwebcam.com/

No ships in port today, but weekends are busy...EM

If you want an impressive view of Miami Beach and the beach itself, you need to be on the port side (left side facing forward).

I was going to say the same thing! i would do port side, you'll capture Miami Beach!

Is there a ferry boat anywhere near where you live? Although it wouldn't be the same as being on a cruise ship, you could set up on it to experiment and see what camera positions and which time lapse settings would work best to give you the results you'd like to have.

No there's no ferry nearby, but I guess that I always can use 1fps and take out pictures when I make the editing if there's too many pictures. Better to do it that way, I have big memorycards so it doesn't matter if I get a lot of pictures that I won't need.

There are several things to consider. As you sail out, the prettier view will be on the port side. However, if there are other ships still in port, they will be docked on your starboard side... And if Majesty did not turn around when she came in, she will have to sail down to the turning basin, and then sail out, so views would change with your direction...

I see there will be three other ships in Miami, but two will be leaving before you do (if the schedule is followed). And I think Majesty docks at the west end of the pier.

You might also enjoy catching the sail-in at Nassau.

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx?sailID=RCIMJ1/29/2016

You might watch a few sail aways on the Miami webcam to see what happens...

http://www.portmiamiwebcam.com/

No ships in port today, but weekends are busy...EM

Thanks, I will take a look this weekend.

I hope you will post this when complete.

Keith

I will post a youtube-link when we are back in Sweden.

To all others that have replyed, thanks!

Edited by Extra Kim

Theres more activity on the starboard side. Theres the traffic on MacArthur causeway, the waterfront homes, a chance to catch a ferry departing, and South Beach, If the ship has to go into the basin to turn around you will get a view of downtown Miami.

• 1 month later...