B2B Transatlantics & Storing Luggage

DarCrav

My husband and I are thinking about doing two crossings with ten days between to travel England. We'd love to be able to store our formal clothes for those ten days while we're traveling. Has anyone done this before? Is there storage somewhere at the Southampton dock or can Cunard help us make arrangements with this? :confused:

When you board the Ship talk to the pursers office and they will arrange for your luggage to be stored. It is not on the ship but at the dock facility. My Sister did this in October.

Thanks so much for this information!

Thanks so much for this information!

Yes, just speak with the purser on the trip over. They will give you a special luggage tag and put the luggage outside your door the night before you arrive. It will magically be back in your stateroom when you return to the ship. The cost was $65 per bag for up to a month of storage.

We've used this service and it is wonderfully convenient. But it's not quite as reasonable as it once was. A few months ago my travel agent sent me this message:

I just spoke to Cunard. They are still doing the luggage storage, but have changed the pricing a bit. It is 25 British Pounds for the storage fee, plus 25 pounds per week and a small charge to transport the luggage. Only clothing and shoes can be stored, no electronics, jewelry, etc.

If this is indeed the case—perhaps someone who has used the service can give us a report—you would end up paying £75 or about $113 at the current exchange rate for ten days of storage, and you'd need to take any jewelry you had with you. This still might be worth your while. We, alas, will have three weeks between crossings, so we'll probably have to store our formalwear elsewhere in Southampton. As I recall, some people have had nice things to say about Lok'nStore.

We sailed on the November 19th NYC to Southampton crossing and back on the December15th crossing. The charge was $65 usd per bag for a maximum of 30 days. If longer than 30 days - there was different pricing however I am sorry I cannot recall as it did not affect us. As the USD is the currency of the Queen Mary 2 - all charges were in US dollars added to one's account. I simply went to the purser's desk and requested the service. We were sent special tags to our stateroom (green I believe) and put those bags out with the bags we were taking with us. It worked well and our bags were in the stateroom when we arrived for our return crossing.

You will have to check the rules about only clothing and shoes. I thought that was the rule for sending luggage home from NYC which we also did. The rules for forwarding luggage were more complex because of customs issues etc. My understanding is that is why no jewelry and electronics plus those bags being shipped cannot be locked. I do not recall being told that for simple storage in Southampton. I certainly know I stored expensive costume jewelry but I would never store anything that I would be upset loosing anyway. I tend to be a rule follower so if that is the rule no one told us.

We used the Cunard Southampton luggage storage between our B2B last May. We boarded our return crossing from Hamburg and our formal wear luggage arrived in our stateroom in the mid-morning when we arrived in Southampton 2 days later. It couldn't have been easier.

"Can I store my luggage in at the port before or after my cruising?

There is not the facility to store luggage at any port through Cunard Line, however there are various luggage storage companies available at many destinations.

Any alternative option may be to have the Baggage Handling Company transport your luggage to meet you at the ship or to your home address. Please see whitestarluggage@cunard.com for details." -copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/mini/cunard/returning-home/Storage_FLL

"Is there the facility to store my luggage in New York?

Yes, it is possible to arrange for your luggage to be stored in New York. This is available for for guests disembarking the ship in New York who plan to return to New York to embark the ship again within a few days.

Please speak to the Pursers Office once you are on board who will be able to check availability for you.

How it works

If there is availability you will need to place your luggage outside your stateroom the night before disembarkation between 6.00pm and Midnight and attach your standard luggage labels.

You will then need to collect your luggage from the baggage hall which is in the cruise terminal ashore, attach your second set of luggage labels to your luggage and drop your luggage off at the dedicated luggage Concierge Stand after going through Customs and Immigration.

Cost

The cost to leave your luggage in New York is $85.00* per bag for up to 30 days and a further $30* per 30 days thereafter. This includes transport from/to the correct terminal, secure storage and insurance cover.

*Prices are subject to change.

Please note there are no restrictions on the size or weight for your luggage." copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/mini/cunard/returning-home/leave_luggage

Edited by Salacia

We have done this twice in New York. The last time was September last year and it was $65 per bag. They will give you special tags for the bags you are storing and you leave them outside your stateroom and they'll be collected. It's always a bit of a worry but they will reappear at your stateroom door on your return!

My husband and I are thinking about doing two crossings with ten days between to travel England. We'd love to be able to store our formal clothes for those ten days while we're traveling. Has anyone done this before? Is there storage somewhere at the Southampton dock or can Cunard help us make arrangements with this? :confused:

DH and I used this service in 2012 (when we had 10 days in England in-between crossings) and it was very convenient and very easy.

As old fool explained, you need a special colored tag (from the purser's desk) and Cunard does the rest.

The only snags were worries caused by staff, who either did not know about it (our steward) or gave us the wrong information at the purser's desk (the first clerk with whom DH spoke thought this was the White Star service, which of course it isn't).

You are wise to ask questions on CC. Shipboard staff isn't (unfortunately) always aware of this service and how it "works."

Have a lovely, lovely time !!!

Edited by jimmybean

A very interesting thread; different personal experiences which seem to conflict with information Cunard posts on the US website - which is not noted for its accuracy.

DarCarv, hopefully, you will update us regarding your experience. Perhaps you will ask Cunard about the current terms and conditions? If storage is available (and from what I've read, there is no guarantee that storage will be available), what is the amount of insurance coverage per suitcase? And where will your unlocked luggage be stored prior to your arrival in your cabin? - As I read it Cunard assumes no responsibility for on shore luggage storage, or am I reading it wrong ?

It is certainly possible.

We have done it twice in the opposite direction when crossing for Independence Day celebrations in New York while QM2 carried on to Canada, calling back later to take us back to England.

Edited by Solent Richard

48 High Street , Southampton is Oceans Gift and Left baggage shop, quite near to Dock Gate 5 and Ocean Terminal.

They are open till 5pm Mon to Sat and 4pm on Sundays, Do not have phone number or charges,

The other alternative is to use a nearby dry cleaners and arrange to collect at later date.

Edited by Pennbank

48 High Street , Southampton is Oceans Gift and Left baggage shop, quite near to Dock Gate 5 and Ocean Terminal.

They are open till 5pm Mon to Sat and 4pm on Sundays, Do not have phone number or charges,

The other alternative is to use a nearby dry cleaners and arrange to collect at later date.

I was by there last September and it was closed. It was my understanding it had closed earlier in the year by Sherriff's order. I presume for unpaid debts.

I was by there last September and it was closed. It was my understanding it had closed earlier in the year by Sherriff's order. I presume for unpaid debts.

No

That was at 13 High Street !

A new place has since opened at 48 or 50 High Street.

If its the same or different people I do not know.

But it answers the original op Question !

It is trading as I originally said.

Well it was still going strong before I left for this years World Cruise January

Edited by Pennbank

... That was at 13 High Street ! A new place has since opened at 48 or 50 High Street. If its the same or different people I do not know ...
There is a recently opened "gift shop" called "Oceans" at 48 High St (see attached photo) two doors from the historic Red Lion Inn. They offer "left luggage", but they have no listed 'phone number (that I could find, the only one listed is for the old company), so I was unable to call them to find out how long they would store bags (ie for a few hours/one day, or even a couple of weeks) or the charges involved. Sadly I'm not in Southampton again until May, so can't visit to ask them in person. They no longer appear to have a "tea room/cafe" (which I believe was unlicensed in the previous premises), or a "museum".

Like you, I've no idea if it is the same people involved this time or not.

Hope this helps.

OCEANS.jpg.219710d942b6195603810c7a4f3fb8ce.jpg

Edited by pepperrn