Verizon in St. Thomas (Recent Change?)

ForSharonB

Hi -

I've always known Verizon customers had some coverage in St. Thomas.

I understood that DATA & TEXT were just as if we were home, but that PHONE CALLS were $1.79/minute. Today a VZW rep told me that PHONE CALLS ARE NOW INCLUDED (as if at home).

He wasn't sure, but thought it may be because of new plans just released.

Has anyone heard that?

Hi -

I understood that DATA & TEXT were just as if we were home, but that PHONE CALLS were $1.79/minute. Today a VZW rep told me that PHONE CALLS ARE NOW INCLUDED (as if at home).

Has anyone heard that?

I'm not sure where you got this information but it is incorrect. Verizon has never had coverage in the USVI, it has always been roaming, and it still is considered roaming, even under the new plans. I can verify that in January of 2016 I was charge $0.05 for each text that came in and data was billed at a horrible rate. I did not make any calls, but Verizon always will tell you that voice is not included in the USVI as they do not have any infrastructure there.

I'm not sure where you got this information but it is incorrect. Verizon has never had coverage in the USVI, it has always been roaming, and it still is considered roaming, even under the new plans. I can verify that in January of 2016 I was charge $0.05 for each text that came in and data was billed at a horrible rate. I did not make any calls, but Verizon always will tell you that voice is not included in the USVI as they do not have any infrastructure there.

Hi -

What you're saying is what I often hear, that's why I am concerned. Attached (hopefully it works) is what Verizon Customer Service is telling me and has emailed me.

2106494951_image1(2).jpg.a1d2bb946402db602d6000ccb8e9ef0c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Hi -

Has anyone heard that?

I just contacted Verizon to make sure about it since we are going to St Thomas and San Juan. The guy told me that our plan covers data, calls, and texts while on land in St Thomas, but on the ship it is roaming. What a relief!

• 3 weeks later...

Verizon has an international plan - $40 for 100 SENT texts (unlimited received texts), 100 minutes, and 100 MB of data. That way you don't have to worry about what you're using and when. As a self-employed person, its a great fit for me during our cruises. Also works on the ship!!

Verizon has an international plan - $40 for 100 SENT texts (unlimited received texts), 100 minutes, and 100 MB of data. That way you don't have to worry about what you're using and when. As a self-employed person, its a great fit for me during our cruises. Also works on the ship!!
Can you give me an idea of what you have been able to do with 100MB of data?

Can you give me an idea of what you have been able to do with 100MB of data?

If I need to actually use data, I'll either do that using wifi at the port or using the ship's (painfully slow) internet. It is intended to be more for calls and texts.

But 100 MB is plenty for work email, occasional Facebook, etc, for a week.

St. Thomas and San Juan - covered under Verizon. No extra charges. Just confirmed this earlier this week for our cruise next week. And I did it via chat so that I have a record just in case they don't remember what they said. I don't anticipate any issues though. Coworker of mine just came back from this same itinerary in July and incurred no additional charges.

St. Thomas and San Juan - covered under Verizon. No extra charges. Just confirmed this earlier this week for our cruise next week. And I did it via chat so that I have a record just in case they don't remember what they said. I don't anticipate any issues though. Coworker of mine just came back from this same itinerary in July and incurred no additional charges.

You were mis-informed. Which happens all the time. Verizon has no cell towers in St Thomas. Your phone will still work. You can send & receive texts (as long as photos are not attached) but any calls you make will be "roaming" at a rate of $1.79 per minute. Regardless of what someone said in a chat session, the rules of your contract will prevail. You can try to argue, but you'll end up paying.

Puerto Rico, on the other hand, is covered.

https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/available-international-travel-services.pdf

You were mis-informed. Which happens all the time. Verizon has no cell towers in St Thomas. Your phone will still work. You can send & receive texts (as long as photos are not attached) but any calls you make will be "roaming" at a rate of $1.79 per minute. Regardless of what someone said in a chat session, the rules of your contract will prevail. You can try to argue, but you'll end up paying.

https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/available-international-travel-services.pdf

No I wasn't misinformed. Maybe you haven't caught up to the new terms and plans. I'll go with what they said and what is in writing. Thank you anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Go to this link:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/

Set up a fake trip that includes St. Thomas.

Select a device.

Come back and tell us the result.

• 2 weeks later...

As a very long time Verizon wireless customer.....let me just remind everyone that the only way to get accurate info from Verizon...is

1. To call a rep directly

2. To write down exactly what the rep tells you

3. To wait 24 hours and call back and speak to another rep

4. Confirm both reps tell you the same thing

5. Make call number 3 if need be until you can get the same answer twice

Sent from my iPad using Forums