6 Drinks and you're out

Interesting chart, and it's based on Americans. UK is supposed to have higher levels of drinking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/

"If the top decile somehow could be induced to curb their consumption level to that of the next lower group (the ninth decile), then total ethanol sales would fall by 60 percent."

If someone is drinking 20 drinks every day on a cruise, they are probably drinking a good amount off the cruise. And remember, party days increase it by 50%, so that is 30 drinks per day. That is not safe drinking on a cruise ship, or even on land.

The poster who listed those amounts is inviting comment. People are saying it's a lot. I don't think it sounds "fun".

Edited by marci22

And like the birds chirping the judgments keep coming. If it's not your liver why do you care?

They sound like fun friends to me. And if they're holding their own I don't care.

As they say in AA - whenever you point a finger there are 3 pointing back at you! :):)

Step down from your high horse. If someone talks about drinking 20-25 alcoholic drinks on a "normal" day, it's not judgment to suggest that's bad you for you; it's physiology. And, hopefully, in AA, they say more than just banal clichés.

People build up a tolerance (or so they think). My step-daughter did until she never woke up one morning. She had been drinking all afternoon and into the evening. She had a BAC of .314. She was 31 and left behind a husband and 5 year old son. The body can only process so much alcohol at a time. Eat and drink a glass of water for every glass of alcohol consumed. It would have been her 36th birthday next week. It won't be a "fun" birthday.

People build up a tolerance (or so they think). My step-daughter did until she never woke up one morning. She had been drinking all afternoon and into the evening. She had a BAC of .314. She was 31 and left behind a husband and 5 year old son. The body can only process so much alcohol at a time. Eat and drink a glass of water for every glass of alcohol consumed. It would have been her 36th birthday next week. It won't be a "fun" birthday.

I am so sorry for your loss. It is heart breaking to hear this.

I know someone that is an alcoholic, and has been for at least the 20 or so years I've known her. Physically it has changed her appearance in a pretty negative way but given the amount of hard liquor she consumes every day, it's shocking that she can drink like that and never has alcohol poisoning.

Im not a drinker, it just makes me too tired, but I can see how on a cruise people would be tempted to drink way more then what is normal for them. You don't have to worry about driving and your room is just a short walk away.

Edited by BeachChik

I used to think nothing of having 12 beers or drinks in an evening and not being close to drunk. Of course that was in my 20s and we were running around and dancing and burning it off before it even hit.

Now in my 60s 3 drinks will pretty much put me to sleep.

I recently went on a cruise and decided to try a premium drinks package. I figured it took six drinks a day to break even. It was a job trying to drink that much for me and by the third day I quit trying.

Not that I didn't WANT to have six or more drinks per day 😎

WOW (to steal a Royal Caribbean tag)

Given that so many of you don't drink much, Im guessing you dont take-up the option of the drinks packages as you would lose out massively - which begs the question, who is buying them?

A few have questions the quantities stated and think they may be "made up" - sorry to scare you but they are correct.

My wife runs 10 miles every day, walks a further 4 miles twice per day and is 100% fit and healthy. I need a "bit of work" lol

We own a hotel and a bar so we are familiar with peoples tolerance (or not) with alcohol.

Neither of us has fallen overboard (yet lol), we haven't trashed our rooms nor have we argued or fought with other guests/staff.

BTW we don't buy the drinks packages either as we don't want to feel "pressured" into getting our monies worth.

Edited by CoupleUK

BTW we don't buy the drinks packages either as we don't want to feel "pressured" into getting our monies worth.

If a "normal" day involves 25 beers, I don't think you need to worry about feeling pressured to get your money's worth. :rolleyes:

With drinks being almost 12.00 each. 4 drinks , 6 bottles water and few pops. I would be a fool not to purchase it as I would end up spending more on buying each thing by itself would cost me more.

Everyone is different. And to each their own. Package just works great for us. And we are in our 50s.

What is a normal day?

Head to brunch around 11.30am; couple of bottles of beer

Find a shaded spot for the afternoon; bottle of beer every 20 minutes or so.

Diamond Lounge; (free) bottle of beer every 10 minutes maximum.

Dinner; take 2 bottles of beer.

Evening; bottle of beer every 30 minutes on average.

Daily consumption? - roughly 25 bottles

and my wife?

couple of rum and (diet!!) coke with lunch

several rum and (diet!!) coke during the afternoon

switch to wine in Diamond Lounge; around 6 glasses

take two glasses of wine to dinner

rum and (yet more diet) coke every 30 mins of so after dinner

Daily Consumption? - roughly 12 rum and (diet) coke and 2 bottles of wine.

Excessive? nowhere near.

We do have a couple of "party days" on each cruise too so that would add say 50% to our totals.

Right on, brother!

• 3 months later...

Looks like they are trying to have fewer passengers 'fall' off the ship. Lawyers probably advised them to have some type of control over consumption. Blame the idiots who find a way to go overboard despite chest high railings.