Thank you, Frank Del Rio, for a great customer experience

Marketing Girl

I called Oceania here in the UK and said I wanted to book the suite next to Mr. Del Rio's on his cruise to Havana. They promised to get back to me so I'm sitting by the 'phone ;)

:D

Please call me as soon as you hear from them :D

:D

Please call me as soon as you hear from them :D

I'm tempted to book this one myself, but I'm holding out until Gloria Estefan is officially announced as the headline entertainer.

Gloria%2BEstefan%2B-%2BMiss%2BLittle%2BHavana.JPG

.....and if she were to Christen a Cruise Ship during the turn around in Havana Harbor, it would not be the worst thing in the World, either.

I'm tempted to book this one myself, but I'm holding out until Gloria Estefan is officially announced as the headline entertainer.

Gloria%2BEstefan%2B-%2BMiss%2BLittle%2BHavana.JPG

.....and if she were to Christen a Cruise Ship during the turn around in Havana Harbor, it would not be the worst thing in the World, either.

Could there be another choice - not, unless you pick a baseball player or a boxer :D

It is hard to believe that I was born the same year that Castro came into power in Cuba. My dad used to vacation there every winter in the early 1950s and spoke so fondly of the wonderland that was Havana. He always said that he was just waiting for Castro to be overthrown and then he would take us there. Unfortunately, he did not live to see this occur, but I like to think that I rode in the same 1950 Buick Roadmaster convertible that he did. My husband and I walked by the port in Havana and remarked about how that will be fixed up some day for cruise ships. Even if I am so old that I will need one of the handicapped cabins, I want to be on that Oceania sailing.

Oceania UK just called me back. Said that because Mr. del Rio's cruise to Cuba was supposed to be a secret they couldn't make a firm booking for me - but that I was definitely wait listed for the cabin next to his and that the number would be confirmed when news about the call into Havana was publicly released.

They did point-out that the cabin in question was not wheelchair accessible. Not a problem, was my response, as I don't use a wheel chair. They said I probably would by the time the cruise took place.

Edited by Balloon Man

I walked by the port in Havana and remarked about how that will be fixed up some day for cruise ships.

Have you heard the rumor, probably exaggerated, that the Port of Miami is lobbying to keep Cuba out of the picture because so many Lines have expressed interest in cruising out of Havana?

cuba%20cruise%20ship-1392546164_v2.grid-8x2.jpg If New York had implimented a similar plan in the 1960's, they might not be renting out the West Side Cruise Terminals for Art Shows, today....

artshow-armory-e-blast-forwebsite.jpg

Edited by JimandStan
spelling

I don't think the port of Miami is involved in keeping ships out of Cuba - it would only increase business in the Caribbean. The longstanding embargo by the US is what has stopped the ports from being developed. As FDR wrote, the sentiment of the people who fled once Castro "nationalized" - ie stole- their businesses and properties- is to stay away from Cuba until it is a free country. Once that occurs, I think every cruise line will be racing to get a berthing spot.

Have you heard the rumor, probably exaggerated, that the Port of Miami is lobbying to keep Cuba out of the picture because so many Lines have expressed interest in cruising out of Havana?

I don't know if they are lobbying per se, but the 2035 master plan for the Port of Miami shows there is some concern, especially if international airlines develop direct routes with Cuba:

"From a competitive homeport standpoint, in the long-term, Havana, Cuba may compete for international (particularly European) homeport traffic as the airline industry deploys to the island with direct flights. However, the major portion of the cruise consumer market will be North American and is much more likely to use Cuba as a port-of-call rather than a homeport operation."

"For both cruise and ferry operations, the island of Cuba provides a number of potential itinerary options including the following destinations, plus more:

 Havana;  Matanzas;  Baracoa;  Santiago de Cuba:  Manzanillo;  Santa Cruz del Sur; and,  Cienfuegos, among others."

Personally, if I had the option to do the entire cruise out of Havana (assuming Cuba becomes a free country, as we hope), I would much prefer to fly directly from California to Havana so that I could get to see more of the country pre- or post-cruise and spend some evenings ashore, to experience the famous Havana nightlife (and food).

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

• 1 year later...
Marketing Girl- I have not been back (left on August 22, 1961), and while I'm not political, I won't go until Cuba is FREE! I truly hope you enjoy your visit and wish I could go with you.

I've publicly said that my last remaining dream is to cruise into Havana Harbor OnBoard one of our ships,and possibly celebrate the inauguration of our next new ship there.

It's only been 53 years, all we need is patience!

FDR

I don't know if FDR is monitoring this thread as it's been quiet for a couple of years. I want to say that I did go back to Cuba last November to see the house where I lived as a young child, where my grandparents had a business, where my parents lived and were married.

Old Havana is undergoing a massive renovation. It was surreal. I could not believe the crumbling decay nor the beauty of the restoration existing side by side. Yes, sad about the continuing political repression. With my cousins and other family, we went armed with basic necessities for ordinary people and it felt good to be able to do even a little. People are now allowed to sell real estate and open businesses so changes are afoot.

At some point, the ships will sail in but not soon. Best for those curious to educate themselves through one of the licensed cultural agencies and tour companies now taking Americans and others there.

Looking forward to my Baltics cruise on Marina this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am definitely going to Cuba 2016. It is at top of my bucket list. Just researching the many options such as a & k, tauck and national geographic. If any o cruiser has taken one of these tours please email me with feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am definitely going to Cuba 2016. It is at top of my bucket list. Just researching the many options such as a & k, tauck and national geographic. If any o cruiser has taken one of these tours please email me with feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We took a tour with Insight Cuba last year.

It was a wonderful trip - so much potential there, it's a real shame that they can't move forward (like China did).

My neighbor took the Tauk tour to Cuba earlier this year and had a wonderful time, was treated with true respect and safety, did not feel threatened at all, and plans on returning whenever she can. I wish I had gone with her but we were on another "O" trip.

Please oh please, let's sail to Cuba. :D

We went with Cuba Education Tours which is based in Canada but you can depart from the US which is legal as long as you have the right paperwork. For US born people, the paperwork is minimal. That company is owned by Cubans. The cost is far less than others and the quality is very good.

Most people don't know this (I didn't until I learned it while in Cuba), but the actual tour operations once you're in Cuba are actually conducted by one of two local operators. The organizations mentioned in these posts are all middlemen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please oh please, let's sail to Cuba. :D

While sailing into Havana would be a great introduction to Cuba, one needs to visit other places (Trinidad, Cienfuegos, etc) to get a real feel for Cuba and this cannot be done in one day.