Passport question

Shelloz

Technically, no. An official BC will do if it is a closed loop cruise. However, it is my opinion that Passports are a good idea. But it is not required simply to go on the cruise. If you would need to fly home for any unforeseen reason, it is much quicker and less costly if you all have them already.

Edited by firemanbobswife

If your going to the Caribbean I would have to say yes but most importantly, if anything should go wrong, even with the ship anything, you need a passport for them to get back to the US, so its best to be safe than sorry I think.

This answer is wrong. On a closed loop cruise, beginning and ending in the US, a birth certificate is sufficient. That being said, I would never cruise without a passport for each member of my family. If someone were to get sick and had to fly back to the US, or missed the ship in port, it would take longer to find an embassy and arrange for a rush passport than it would if you already had it.

We are heading on our first cruise with our kiddos. They will be 2 and turning 5 while on the boat. Are passports a must for them?

They can cruise just fine without a passport but as mentioned if anything were to happen you wouldn't be able to fly back without some delay as you would need to get a travel document from the Consulate. Children pay full price for a passport and they are only good for 5 years. If you are comfortable with the slight risk of having to return early then using their birth certificates for the cruise is a perfectly viable option.

They can cruise just fine without a passport but as mentioned if anything were to happen you wouldn't be able to fly back without some delay as you would need to get a travel document from the Consulate. Children pay full price for a passport and they are only good for 5 years. If you are comfortable with the slight risk of having to return early then using their birth certificates for the cruise is a perfectly viable option.

^^^^This is the correct answer.

A passport is NOT required.

Technically, no. An official BC will do if it is a closed loop cruise. However, it is my opinion that Passports are a good idea. But it is not required simply to go on the cruise. If you would need to fly home for any unforeseen reason, it is much quicker and less costly if you all have them already.

You shouldn't make a blanket statement about "closed loop cruises" without knowing which cruise line. Pretty much every premium/luxury cruise line requires that ALL passengers on ALL itineraries have a passport.

You shouldn't make a blanket statement about "closed loop cruises" without knowing which cruise line. Pretty much every premium/luxury cruise line requires that ALL passengers on ALL itineraries have a passport.

This thread was moved from the CCL forum and PP did know which cruise line:).

Someday, I'll have to try the regular web version of CC, which apparently includes all sorts of info not in the app.

I use the regular web version of CC and there's no indication that this was moved from CCL forum. So the person posting that info evidently either got here from CCL link or saw it originally on that forum since coming directly to Ask Cruise question gives no indication.

I use the regular web version of CC and there's no indication that this was moved from CCL forum. So the person posting that info evidently either got here from CCL link or saw it originally on that forum since coming directly to Ask Cruise question gives no indication.

Both, actually. Should give one pause before taking other posters to task if one realizes that threads do get moved from where they are originally posted, though.

We are heading on our first cruise with our kiddos. They will be 2 and turning 5 while on the boat. Are passports a must for them?

A must?

On a closed loop Caribbean cruise (one that returns to the same port that it leaves from) they are not required. Only you can decide if they are a must for your family.