Fort Lauderdale Taxis & Credit Cards

POA1

I don't know how new this is because we're generally not taking cabs around town, but on our way home from the FLL airport last night, I spotted a sign on the back of the passenger side headrest that said that if the taxi driver refused to take your credit card, the ride was free. The sign gave a number to the Broward taxi commission. I took a photo, but I didn’t use a flash, and it was dark. Hopefully you can read it.

1d30025879d75329504349a79ba20a66.jpg

I still advocate taking directions with you so that you can make sure you are getting a direct route.

Thanks, POA.

I don't think I've ever seen that sign before and we rode lots of taxis in FLL.

Very interesting. Welcome Back. :)

You're welcome. I never saw it before last night - although it might have been there much longer. Sorry I didn't use a flash, but I find it's best not to blind the driver. :D

Thanks POA1.

We use a lot of taxis to get around Ft Lauderdale.

I have written the number down.

Some of those drivers are 'interesting types' and I'm not sure I would plan to sit in the back seat of his/her taxi, my luggage in the trunk and have a discussion with him about getting his terminal fixed fast so I could use my credit card. There are times it might be a better choice to be all kinds of agreeable. :D

Some of those drivers are 'interesting types' and I'm not sure I would plan to sit in the back seat of his/her taxi, my luggage in the trunk and have a discussion with him about getting his terminal fixed fast so I could use my credit card. There are times it might be a better choice to be all kinds of agreeable. :D

Too true, once on a business trip in NYC had the credit card issue with the driver as did not have quite enough cash to cover the fare - it was the last of 3 stops that week. Was foolish and was outside the cab during the discussion and he just took off with my luggage. Thankfully I remembered his medallion number and got my luggage back about an hour later.

Are they just now installing these in cabs? I honestly couldn't tell you the last taxi I was in that didn't have a credit card payment system.

There's a fair amount of pressure because of the Broward county Uber debate. The stickers are new, but the credit card payment terminal has been around for a while. Bear in mind that we only get 954 777-7777 as pick up cabs where we live because of the taxi territories in our part of Florida. Getting picked up at the airport isn't necessarily a 777 yellow cab.

There's a fair amount of pressure because of the Broward county Uber debate. The stickers are new, but the credit card payment terminal has been around for a while. Bear in mind that we only get 954 777-7777 as pick up cabs where we live because of the taxi territories in our part of Florida. Getting picked up at the airport isn't necessarily a 777 yellow cab.

Makes sense. Uber (and Lyft) have changed the game and made the taxi gestapos stand up and be customer-focused for once. It's a good thing. ;)

Makes sense. Uber (and Lyft) have changed the game and made the taxi gestapos stand up and be customer-focused for once. It's a good thing. ;)

Here here! When we flew to Ft Lauderdale this February we told the taxi driver to take us to the Hyatt Pier 66. I didn't think that I would have to give him directions but I should have spelled it out at the onset, my bad. After we were near the Riverside Hotel I realized that we were being "taken for a ride" and complained to him. Needless to say, we're big Uber fans.

Here here! When we flew to Ft Lauderdale this February we told the taxi driver to take us to the Hyatt Pier 66. I didn't think that I would have to give him directions but I should have spelled it out at the onset, my bad. After we were near the Riverside Hotel I realized that we were being "taken for a ride" and complained to him. Needless to say, we're big Uber fans.

My DH and I were just talking about this at lunch this afternoon. Wondering If Uber was a good choice in downtown Ft. Lauderdale - going from the hotel to the ship.

Have you had any recent experience with them in FLL?

My DH and I were just talking about this at lunch this afternoon. Wondering If Uber was a good choice in downtown Ft. Lauderdale - going from the hotel to the ship.

Uber and Broward county have been fighting for a while. The service was unavailable earlier in August, so check before you try to use it.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article31965108.html

I don't think it was an option when we were there.

I've found that, while the taxis in the FLL area have had CC terminals on board for years, the drivers of the cabs I've used there were never pleased with the idea of taking them. I think that this was a pervasive enough issue that they've finally taken some action to curb the drivers who actively discouraged riders from using CCs.

One would think that Uber and Lyft and other ride sharing services would force the cab companies to reform their ways, but at least up here to the north in Orlando, it's only made the cab companies (Mears especially, which is very powerful here) loudly complain to the authorities about how unfairly they are being treated.

Thanks for the post, Brian. I wonder if they were mandated by the local government to post the sign or if the cab companies decided to do so?

Edited by 0bnxshs

What recourse does a person have if he/she gets ripped off by a Lyft or Uber driver? Also, what assurance does a person have that a Lyft or Uber driver isn't a deviate/pervert who has branched out from Craig's List?

Edited by avian777

I've found that, while the taxis in the FLL area have had CC terminals on board for years, the drivers of the cabs I've used there were never pleased with the idea of taking them. I think that this was a pervasive enough issue that they've finally taken some action to curb the drivers who actively discouraged riders from using CCs.

One would think that Uber and Lyft and other ride sharing services would force the cab companies to reform their ways, but at least up here to the north in Orlando, it's only made the cab companies (Mears especially, which is very powerful here) loudly complain to the authorities about how unfairly they are being treated.

Thanks for the post, Brian. I wonder if they were mandated by the local government to post the sign or if the cab companies decided to do so?

I think that it's a combination of competitive pressure from the ride sharing services and pressure from the regulators. There are cab service areas in Fort Lauderdale, and we're in Yellow cab (954-777-7777) territory. To try to compete with Uber & Lyft, they built an app and a booking website, both of which leave a lot to be desired.

Taxis have been required to accept credit cards for a few years. However, it wasn't unusual for drivers to tell you that the machine wasn't working. The cab companies had to acquiesce and agree to accept credit cards no matter what as part of the recent Uber dust up. We rarely need taxis here because we have cars, but many drivers don't know their way around, and they hardly ever use their GPS.

8FUQYPfL0Pg

Edited by POA1

We will be staying at the Hilton Marina - will need to transfer with at least six pieces of luggage to the HAL pier. Only two people this year - next year we'll have six of us - so trying to check out alternate to taxi without using the motorcoach shuttle.

Any idea's on cost effective transfer's other than a cab with limited space?

THANKS

We will be staying at the Hilton Marina - will need to transfer with at least six pieces of luggage to the HAL pier. Only two people this year - next year we'll have six of us - so trying to check out alternate to taxi without using the motorcoach shuttle.

Any idea's on cost effective transfer's other than a cab with limited space?

THANKS

Look up Port Everglades Shuttle and you should find a list of companies. You'll have to weed out the rental car companies and parking shuttles, but you should find a fair number of candidates. We used JR Shuttle when we had a group and a lot of luggage. Which ever company you choose, make the reservation in advance, particularly if you have a cruise on the weekend.

I will try calling JR Shuttle and check their rates as it seem's to be jogging my memory now that you posted that name. I think we may have used them a few year's ago from the Hilton. The last couple of year's haven't been able to get into the Hilton as we cruise during the Boat Show.

And, my memory ain't wasn't what it used to be :rolleyes:

Thanks again

I will try calling JR Shuttle and check their rates as it seem's to be jogging my memory now that you posted that name. I think we may have used them a few year's ago from the Hilton. The last couple of year's haven't been able to get into the Hilton as we cruise during the Boat Show.

And, my memory ain't wasn't what it used to be :rolleyes:

Thanks again

We really liked them. I want to say it cost us about $35-40 for a big van late last year. Call early for the reservation if you're going during the boat show. You'll probably want to make any restaurant reservations early as well.

We really liked them. I want to say it cost us about $35-40 for a big van late last year. Call early for the reservation if you're going during the boat show. You'll probably want to make any restaurant reservations early as well.

Did they have a trailer for your luggage? How many of you transferred for that rate?

I did find their number - will be checking with them when we FIND a place to stay for Nov 5, 2016. The boat show already has things booked up. We may have to stay even further out next year.

This year we are going later hoping to use my Hilton points to stay at the Marina. Just waiting on getting the points into my account so I can book it.

What recourse does a person have if he/she gets ripped off by a Lyft or Uber driver? Also, what assurance does a person have that a Lyft or Uber driver isn't a deviate/pervert who has branched out from Craig's List?

I drove a taxi for 10 years, total.

I never once saw a person get rich driving a cab, not once.

Drivers often do not like credit cards because of

A. charge backs, sometimes a month or so later.

B. cab companies will often charge a credit card service fee (up to 10%).

Uber offers no value except to skirt the rules. Not having to pay cab insurance. Not having to offer service to handicapped. Not serving customers who don't score high enough on service rating.

It is too much like a grocer offering cheaper meats because they avoid regulation. sure, it might work for a picnic or a BBQ, but eventually it will harm the community.

I drove a taxi for 10 years, total.

I never once saw a person get rich driving a cab, not once.

Drivers often do not like credit cards because of

A. charge backs, sometimes a month or so later.

B. cab companies will often charge a credit card service fee (up to 10%).

Uber offers no value except to skirt the rules. Not having to pay cab insurance. Not having to offer service to handicapped. Not serving customers who don't score high enough on service rating.

It is too much like a grocer offering cheaper meats because they avoid regulation. sure, it might work for a picnic or a BBQ, but eventually it will harm the community.

LL, can I safely infer from your post that Uber and Lyft riders have no recourse from being ripped off nor any protection from pervs? Thanks for your input.

Edited by avian777