Changes to Flights

Hi, being a rather inexperianced long haul flight traveller I would like some advice from the more experianced travelers on cc. We are cruising on Celebrity Reflection in October 16 and have just been advised that our flights from Sydney to Rome have been changed so that we now have a 9 hour stopover rather than a 2 hour stopover. This will result in having to book accommodation in Dubai as well as having to cancel/change transfer arrangements to the port. Before I contact the carrier I was chasing some advice on how to maybe chase some form of compensation for the extra costs we will now incur. I have rad their fine print and can't see much of a win in it for us. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers Grant.

You can definitely call Emirates (I am assuming) to ask them to pay for a nights accommodation at the airport. However they will probably refer you to the T&Cs and say no! (if they say no try asking for better seats/passes to the business lounge in Dubai)

Before you do so - consider the current arrangements as it is wonderful to get some sleep between long haul flights (and a shower if you don't have access to an airline club). This would ensure you get to Rome far more refreshed.

If you are flying Emirites than you are in luck. They offer a program called Dubai Connect which provides transfer, meals and hotel accommodation if your connection is more than 8 hours. I would suggest ringing them and asking if you are now eligible for this. I'm using this myself in 2 weeks. Info can be found here:

http://www.emirates.com/au/english/plan_book/essential_information/dubai-connect/dubai-connect.aspx

You might be glad of that break between flights. That flight from Sydney to Dubai is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG flight. I would welcome of opportunity to get a hotel a shower and some sleep for 6-7 hours in between. It make the lag so much less when you get to Rome.

About three years ago we had an 8 hour stop over in Dubai (Istanbul to Sydney). The airport hotel which we booked was not at the airport but about 30 minutes away. Anyway, after landing (about midnight) we were waiting about a half hour or more to disembark the plane onto a bus which then took about 20 minutes to get to the terminal, plus waiting time to get off the bus at the terminal (because we had to wait inline for other buses to unload), then the walk from the far end of the terminal where the bus dropped us off to immigration at the other end (about a kilometre), 2.5+ hours to get through immigration (from when we started to time it). Then wait for the shuttle bus to the hotel and a 45 minutes queue to check in. This left us with about three hours sleep before we had to get back to the airport (skipping breakfast) to allow time to get through immigration again to make our flight.

Then, instead of a direct flight to Sydney on an airbus A380 (as we had going over), we were on a crowded 777 going via Bangkok.

If we knew then what we know now we would have roughed it at the airport for the night.

For future trips in we will avoid Dubai like the plague, if at all possible, and take alternate routes.

We wish you luck.

Even if you are not traveling Business Class or Qantas Club member etc, you can still pay to use one of the other lounges at most major airports, fills in a few hours, nice chairs for a snooze, showers, nice drinks and tucker, mostly.

About three years ago we had an 8 hour stop over in Dubai (Istanbul to Sydney). The airport hotel which we booked was not at the airport but about 30 minutes away. Anyway, after landing (about midnight) we were waiting about a half hour or more to disembark the plane onto a bus which then took about 20 minutes to get to the terminal, plus waiting time to get off the bus at the terminal (because we had to wait inline for other buses to unload), then the walk from the far end of the terminal where the bus dropped us off to immigration at the other end (about a kilometre), 2.5+ hours to get through immigration (from when we started to time it). Then wait for the shuttle bus to the hotel and a 45 minutes queue to check in. This left us with about three hours sleep before we had to get back to the airport (skipping breakfast) to allow time to get through immigration again to make our flight.

Then, instead of a direct flight to Sydney on an airbus A380 (as we had going over), we were on a crowded 777 going via Bangkok.

If we knew then what we know now we would have roughed it at the airport for the night.

For future trips in we will avoid Dubai like the plague, if at all possible, and take alternate routes.

We wish you luck.

Thankfully the new Emirates terminal at Dubai airport is now open and the buses across the Tarmac are a thing of the past. You now disembark straight into the terminal and hop on an efficient little train to change terminals if need be.

I agree that the flight to Dubai is a long one, and I've done it often, but the layover will now work in your favour.

You need to be aware that the Emirates have very strict regulations about what medications you can bring in to the country. Please check safe traveller site for info on this.

The list of restricted medications for Abu Dhabi was enough for us to not spend a night there last year.

That website is Smartraveller.gov.au. The list includes codeine and sleeping tablets. When I have looked at their lists in the past, I have noticed the first generation of anti-diarrhea medications and some of the older sea sickness medications.

Thankfully the new Emirates terminal at Dubai airport is now open and the buses across the Tarmac are a thing of the past. You now disembark straight into the terminal and hop on an efficient little train to change terminals if need be.

Good to hear. Those buses were ridiculous - had a half hour trip on one, one visit.

Ha. :D

Try Auckland to Dubai non-stop.

Best route is Sydney to HK - then Heathrow. 1st leg is around 9.5 hours and 2nd leg around 11.5 hours. Went that route on Cathay Pacific last year. Flew Business Class, nice flat bed and during 2 hour layover/change of aircraft in HK, time for a shower, change of clothes and a feed at Cathay lounge in HK. Lubbly Jubbly.

Syd to Dubai is bad enough, Auckland to Dubai is too long a leg for me, what would that be 18 hours? Ouch.

Edited by NSWP

Thanks for everyone's advise. After a bit of wrangling with Qantas they have given me a voucher for Dubai Connect - looking forward to a bit of a break between trips. Thanks again.

Sharky61, I'm so pleased to hear that Qantas has come through for you and that you will be able to take advantage of the Dubai Connect program. We are looking forward to using it and hopefully means we will arrive refreshed at our final destination.

We had the same arrangement when flying Korean air, lovely 5 star hotel, transfers,, breakfast, but due to a late departure from Melbourne due to monsoons in Korea we didn't get to enjoy it for as long as we had initially hoped. Korean air has stopped their direct flights from Melbourne now unfortunately. No matter which airline we fly we always have a stop over of 1 - 2 nights min to break the journey both ways when flying to europe.

• 1 month later...

Well we are back and happy to report that Dubai Connect worked well for us. We had a very short wait for the shuttle to the hotel which we found basic but clean. Importantly although close to the airport we had no noise from the airport and slept well. The provided meals are buffet style, not fancy but tasty. The hotel also has a pool which we did not use. The hotel used is The Copthorne Airport Dubai.

We received our vouchers on checkin however were not provided with info on how it works. I'm presuming here that you are eligible for a visa on arrival in Dubai. Go straight through immigration and you need to find the Emirites hotel transfer desk. The doors to exit the hotel are on the wall opposite as you exit immigration. The desk is located at exit one which is the far left hand door. If you have any questions, ask away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the information Jill. I have received a voucher and we will be staying at the Premier Inn Dubai International Airport which is also in close proximity to the airport. I didn't receive any instructions other than catch the hotel bus and present the voucher. Our flight is departing at 9.10am the next morning. How much time do you suggest we allow to get back and clear immigration and reboard ?. I'm not sure about a visa I'll have to research it today. Thanks again.