The beautiful beaches of St Thomas - brief descriptions/opinions

blue_water

My memory of Sapphire: Blue water, wave a bit rough for little ones. There are native lizards than approaches you if you have food. My wife freaked out. Recommendation from a local lady, threw a piece of our pizza the opposite way. All of them will head the other way until they finish it. Otherwise, a wonderful beach. Still amaze by the water when looked back at pictures.

For quality snorkeling on STJ I think you'd want to look at Waterlemon or another spot and you'd want a driver to return for you. Or take one of the daysails that moor off Honeymoon Beach/Caneel Bay or another spot off STJ for good snorkeling.

Coki and Sapphire are both good off-the-beach options if staying on STT, some prefer Coki, others Sapphire.

I think you need cash for food and drink on the beach although we haven't been to the newer restaurant yet.

Thanks for the quick answer. One more question do you pay them every time you order a drink or can you pay them for eveything before you leave?

This thread is so great, thank you!!

I will be traveling with my husband and 2 kids (12 and 8). I am still torn between Coki and Saphire. I would like great snorkeling, a bucket of beers, and a good place to relax. There are two ships in the day I am there. The other one gets in at 8 and we don't get in until 11:30 so I can't beat the rush to get a good spot. My kids will love snorkeling as well, are both beaches similar in terms of water roughness? Is it hard to avoid the rocks/coral when you are snorkeling? I don't enjoy it when I feel like the current is going to push us all into the rock.

So, also, cost wise - is it going to be $80 for a cab for the for us round trip? And $12 for the chairs, $16 for the beer?

Thanks so much!!

This thread is so great, thank you!!

I will be traveling with my husband and 2 kids (12 and 8). I am still torn between Coki and Saphire. I would like great snorkeling, a bucket of beers, and a good place to relax. There are two ships in the day I am there. The other one gets in at 8 and we don't get in until 11:30 so I can't beat the rush to get a good spot. My kids will love snorkeling as well, are both beaches similar in terms of water roughness? Is it hard to avoid the rocks/coral when you are snorkeling? I don't enjoy it when I feel like the current is going to push us all into the rock.

So, also, cost wise - is it going to be $80 for a cab for the for us round trip? And $12 for the chairs, $16 for the beer?

Thanks so much!!

Coki was completely calm the day I was there. Not hard to avoid the rocks at all as you swim around the rock outcrops to either side of the small bay, not over them. Some people were even standing beside the rock outcrops on the soft sandy bottom in the shallower area. The fish were plentiful even for those standing or wading. Please do not get tempted to feed the fish as many seem to do. This is unhealthy for the fish and they will swim around you even without food. The beach sand is so soft you may find you don't need chairs. I just put my beach towel down on the sand (I spent most of the time in the water anyway) :).

we'll be going with my parents (mom is 3 months out on knee replacement ) and our kids - ages 12 and 2! We're docking at Havensight. Three ships total that day, two at our dock. We need a chair for my mom especially, pref some access to shade (real shade or umbrella is fine) and some amenities. Thoughts? Thinking Magens? Anyone know if its a long walk from taxi dropoff to a chair rental?? Thanks, want to make this trip nice for our diverse group!

Edited by gratamama

we'll be going with my parents (mom is 3 months out on knee replacement ) and our kids - ages 12 and 2! We're docking at Havensight. Three ships total that day, two at our dock. We need a chair for my mom especially, pref some access to shade (real shade or umbrella is fine) and some amenities. Thoughts? Thinking Magens? Anyone know if its a long walk from taxi dropoff to a chair rental?? Thanks, want to make this trip nice for our diverse group!

With 3 ships in port (typical day) I'd suggest Sapphire because it is one beach that has everything you want but doesn't get as crowded, and there is room to find a comfortable spot with natural shade and beach service.

I am not answering the question, but I wanted to add my 2 cents worth to what we did in St. Thomas a week ago.

There were 8 of us, so you know it can be expensive, or to find something that we can all do together. To make the long story short, we went walking away from the pier (my son needed something from the pharmacy, etc. for a cold, etc.), and while walking (we had talked about doing Paradise Point which was about a block away from where we were then), this driver with his van came up to us, and ask what we wanted to do, etc. To make the long story short, we did not go to Paradise Point, but he took us around (most of the group had never been to St. Thomas before), all the way to the top for several views/stops/pictures, and then drove us around to several peaches to check out. He then mentioned Secret Harbor Beach (I have cruised many times, but had never heard of this), and we wound up there, with my sons snorkeling, and we all eating, and then he picked us up at a certain time. All in all, we didn't pay more than $20 for each of us, which was very cheap.

Any suggestions for a beach on Christmas Day? I've always wanted to be on a Caribbean island on Christmas and finally am getting my wish! I'd love

For my little guys to experience a little of the island but also spend a few hours on the beach. Thoughts,suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would suggest Secret (it won't be a SECRET anymore :)) Harbor Beach. We had never heard of it before. We found a driver that took our group of 8 of us around, and did just about what we wanted to do, for little or nothing, and was very knowledgeable about the area. We went by several beaches that I had known of, and my sons decided the last resort was to check out Secret Harbor, which I had never heard of. We wound up there, and it was nice too. Not so populated, that you had plenty of room to move around, with a very nice restroom facilities,eating, etc.. Also saw more than one family with small children there as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are going in February next year. How is the water at that time of year? Warm enough to swim? Also, what would be the best beach for amenities such as snacks and drinks? Is there a particular area with a more "party" atmosphere

Any suggestions for a beach on Christmas Day? I've always wanted to be on a Caribbean island on Christmas and finally am getting my wish! I'd love

For my little guys to experience a little of the island but also spend a few hours on the beach. Thoughts,suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For a few hours on a beach there are several choices, and you may want to read the first post in this thread to get comparisons if you haven't already. There are many nice beaches, just depends on what sounds good to you. We like Sapphire, but the kids will probably enjoy Coki or Magens more.

We are going in February next year. How is the water at that time of year? Warm enough to swim? Also, what would be the best beach for amenities such as snacks and drinks? Is there a particular area with a more "party" atmosphere

The water temp is still nice in the winter months. all of the popular beaches have amenities. Coki would probably be the closest thing to a "party beach", although it is a popular family beach and is nothing like the beach clubs of Cozumel or other areas. We like the Island Beachcomber in Lindbergh Bay for a more adult (read less kids) and local vibe at the beach bar. But Sapphire is our favorite beach and now has a small beach bar and music I'm told -

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/us-virgin-islands/st-thomas/east-end/saint-thomas-virgin-islands.html

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

Hi, trying to decide between Smith Bay Park, Lindquist Beach or Magens Bay. We have never been to either one and looking for a beach for 12 of us, 6 children, aged 10 - 18 yrs. Are there any amenities at Smith Bay Park now (snorkel rental, food & drinks)? We are on the Oasis of the Seas and will dock at Crown Bay. The pristine beauty of Lindquist Beach is very appealing, but just want everyone happy!

Thank you for any help.

Karen

• 4 weeks later...

We plan on going to Sapphire Beach in October but not sure whether to do this on our own or take the ship's tour. What is the cost for a taxi for two to Sapphire from Crown Bay and how much are the chair rentals? Is it difficult to get a taxi for the return trip? Normally we don't take the ship's tours but I read on an earlier post that it's about a 45 minute trip so I'd like to compare the costs.

We plan on going to Sapphire Beach in October but not sure whether to do this on our own or take the ship's tour. What is the cost for a taxi for two to Sapphire from Crown Bay and how much are the chair rentals? Is it difficult to get a taxi for the return trip? Normally we don't take the ship's tours but I read on an earlier post that it's about a 45 minute trip so I'd like to compare the costs.

30 - 40 min taxi and about $31pp for the taxi and lounges. Taxis are readily available at Sapphire and other popular beaches.

Hi, trying to decide between Smith Bay Park, Lindquist Beach or Magens Bay. We have never been to either one and looking for a beach for 12 of us, 6 children, aged 10 - 18 yrs. Are there any amenities at Smith Bay Park now (snorkel rental, food & drinks)? We are on the Oasis of the Seas and will dock at Crown Bay. The pristine beauty of Lindquist Beach is very appealing, but just want everyone happy!

Thank you for any help.

Karen

Karen yes Lindqvist is arguably the most gorgeous beach of them all. We'd probably choose a beach with more amenities if with a group though, and actually Sapphire would be our choice. Another gorgeous beach with amenities and some water toys. We're not Magens Bay fans, but that is another option of course.

30 - 40 min taxi and about $31pp for the taxi and lounges. Taxis are readily available at Sapphire and other popular beaches.

Thank you for the information. This would be a little less than the cruise excursion so we'll have to decide which way we want to go.

It's nice going on your own because you're not tied to a larger group and the taxi service is very good on STT. Most day visitors will hang by the sandy swimming area by the dive center but you can have your lounges placed under the shade along the water if you want a nicer spot.

Nice beach to relax on and enjoy the views!

It's nice going on your own because you're not tied to a larger group and the taxi service is very good on STT. Most day visitors will hang by the sandy swimming area by the dive center but you can have your lounges placed under the shade along the water if you want a nicer spot.

Nice beach to relax on and enjoy the views!

That's what we decided to do. We'll go early and get a good spot to hang out as long as we like. Thank you again for your help.