I know what I want, but can't find it. Does it exist?

sillysarah456

I want a 6-8 day cruise that includes Naples (for Pompeii), Athens and Santorini (Mykonos would do, I suppose) for $1000 or less. I can't find it! Am I asking too much? I see ones that get really close...on NCL, RCCL and Celebrity...

The other ports are totally negotiable. Departure Port is up for grabs and doesn't even have to be round trip.

Is there a website where I can pick these ports and see all cruise lines that would offer them? I think I heard of this once, but can't find it.

If I were you I would find a good cruise travel agent and work with him/her as to what exactly you wnat and your price point. This is what they are very good at and may be able to find you a good discount as well.

The problem is that your $1000 cost is not really reasonable unless somebody has a terrific last minute discount. The Emerald Princess does an itinerary (this summer) between Athens and Naples that includes Santorini, but you are going to probably need to pay at least $1400 per person for the cheapest cabin. The Celebrity Constitution has a very nice Sept 10 eight night itinerary between Rome (Civitavecchia) and Istanbul that includes both Athens and Santorini. IMHO that is an amazing itinerary and you might be able to get an inside cabin for about $1200-$1300. But keep in mind that airfares to Europe are pretty expensive and will add at least $1000 per person to your cost. And when doing these kind of cruises it is always wise to fly-in at least 1 day early (which means a hotel night) in case of airline delays.

As to web sites, there are some well known online cruise agencies that have excellent data bases that can be searched for this kind of info (it is where I found the two cruises I mentioned). But Cruise Critic posting rules do not allow me to disclose the name of any agency :(.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The problem is that your $1000 cost is not really reasonable unless somebody has a terrific last minute discount. The Emerald Princess does an itinerary (this summer) between Athens and Naples that includes Santorini, but you are going to probably need to pay at least $1400 per person for the cheapest cabin. The Celebrity Constitution has a very nice Sept 10 eight night itinerary between Rome (Civitavecchia) and Istanbul that includes both Athens and Santorini. IMHO that is an amazing itinerary and you might be able to get an inside cabin for about $1200-$1300. But keep in mind that airfares to Europe are pretty expensive and will add at least $1000 per person to your cost. And when doing these kind of cruises it is always wise to fly-in at least 1 day early (which means a hotel night) in case of airline delays.

As to web sites, there are some well known online cruise agencies that have excellent data bases that can be searched for this kind of info (it is where I found the two cruises I mentioned). But Cruise Critic posting rules do not allow me to disclose the name of any agency :(.

Hank

Thanks, perhaps I will try google again. But this is really my frustration. That there are a few cruises that go to these place for over $1000, and that's great, and then there are plenty of cruises that ALMOST go to all these places for a lot under $1000, particularly RCL and NCL. What makes these three places so special? Why wouldn't they include these three in an itinerary together?

And yes, I understand the additional expenses, this price requirement is just for the cruise, to keep me on budget overall.

Thanks

Thanks, perhaps I will try google again. But this is really my frustration. That there are a few cruises that go to these place for over $1000, and that's great, and then there are plenty of cruises that ALMOST go to all these places for a lot under $1000, particularly RCL and NCL. What makes these three places so special? Why wouldn't they include these three in an itinerary together?

And yes, I understand the additional expenses, this price requirement is just for the cruise, to keep me on budget overall.

Thanks

It's not that these three places are so special -- it's that there are literally dozens and dozens of possible ports in the Mediterranean, and the chances of finding these three TOGETHER on one itinerary of only 6-8 days (thus limiting the number of total ports) is pretty darn small.

For the record, I have been on seven Med cruises and at a quick count have visited at least 50 different ports of call on those cruises -- and I have yet to get to Santorini.

By limiting yourself to 6-8 days with a budget of $1000, you are really limiting your chances of finding a cruise that includes ALL you want. There are plenty that include the ports you want, just not the length or cost you want.

We did Grand Princess for 12 nights and the cost for a balcony cabin was $2000. Our itinerary was fantastic (Civitavecchia (Rome), Monte Carlo, Livorno (Pisa & Florence), Naples (Pompeii), Santorini, Kusadasi Turkey, Mykonos, Athens, Katakolon (Olympia), Corfu and Venice.

The cruise on Celebrity CONSTELLATION that Hank quoted sounds like about the best price/itinerary you are going to find. You need to really re-evaluate your choices. Keep searching, you may get lucky as final payments become due, prices may come down (although I do have to say for our cruise the cost went up as we got closer to sailing).

I wish you luck! Europe is an awesome destination! But remember to pack half the clothes you think you need and TWICE THE MONEY!

For the record, I have been on seven Med cruises and at a quick count have visited at least 50 different ports of call on those cruises -- and I have yet to get to Santorini.

Oh Cynthia……. you really must try and get to Santorini…… Akrotiri is fantastic and the small (but nice) museum is worth the visit !!!!! Not to mention having a wonderful meal on the edge of the caldera with a panoramic view like none other !

My dh is very much into history (all history) but in this area he seems to really be keen on the Minoans. Of course, he was in heaven in Egypt too ! He really enjoyed visiting Crete and seeing the "other side" of the eruption and the small Minoan ruins from the tsunami from it. Kind of makes it a complete package of an ancient occurrence.

Oh Cynthia……. you really must try and get to Santorini…… Akrotiri is fantastic and the small (but nice) museum is worth the visit !!!!! Not to mention having a wonderful meal on the edge of the caldera with a panoramic view like none other !

My dh is very much into history (all history) but in this area he seems to really be keen on the Minoans. Of course, he was in heaven in Egypt too ! He really enjoyed visiting Crete and seeing the "other side" of the eruption and the small Minoan ruins from the tsunami from it. Kind of makes it a complete package of an ancient occurrence.

One reason I haven't been to Santorini (yet) is that Akrotiri was closed for a number of years following the collapse of the supporting/protective covering of the site for a period of 5 years or so. I had no real interest in Santorini other than that site and museum.

You know me -- don't care that much about the scenery. It's nice and all, but... :D

I will get there eventually. I have no plans to quit visiting the Med! Just booked a 2016 cruise that has stops in Spain and Morocco new to me. And there are -- believe it or not -- ports in Italy and France that I haven't yet visited either.

I want a 6-8 day cruise that includes Naples (for Pompeii), Athens and Santorini (Mykonos would do, I suppose) for $1000 or less. I can't find it! Am I asking too much? I see ones that get really close...on NCL, RCCL and Celebrity...

The other ports are totally negotiable. Departure Port is up for grabs and doesn't even have to be round trip.

Is there a website where I can pick these ports and see all cruise lines that would offer them? I think I heard of this once, but can't find it.

Costa (NeoClassica) offers a 7 night cruise that visits both Athens & Santorini. Cheapest inside cabin for the April 20th sailing is $819 per person.

ITINERARY

Mon Apr 20 Venice, Italy Embark

Tue Apr 21 Venice, Italy 4:00pm

Wed Apr 22 Split, Croatia 8:00am 1:00pm

Thu Apr 23 Corfu, Greece 9:00am 2:00pm

Fri Apr 24 Santorini, Greece 3:00pm 9:00pm

Sat Apr 25 Athens (Piraeus), Greece 8:00am 2:00pm

Sun Apr 26 Istanbul, Turkey 3:00pm

Mon Apr 27 Istanbul, Turkey Disembark

Costa (NeoClassica) offers a 7 night cruise that visits both Athens & Santorini. Cheapest inside cabin for the April 20th sailing is $819 per person.

ITINERARY

Note the very short port times, however. For example, only 6 hours in Santorini and Athens. Most mass market lines offer port days of 8-10 hours.

ITINERARY

We will jump on Cruisemom's bandwagon. This itinerary (and some others of Costa) are among the worst in the entire cruise industry In fact, the itinerary is so lousy that we are surprised that even Europeans would consider this cruise. About the only thing we would find useful on this cruise is to use it as a ferry boat to get between Venice and Istanbul.

When viewing these port times it is even worse then it looks (and it looks awful). For example, arriving at Santorini at 3pm means that many cruisers would not even be able to get ashore until after 4. And a 9pm departure means the last tender departs at 8:30 and one must allow a lot of additional time to get down to the tender port on the cable car. As to Athens, a half day is not such a good thing when it takes about 30-45 min just to get into Athens from the port. A 2pm departure means you must be back on the ship by about 1:30 which means leaving Athens no later then 12:30. Since most places in Athens do not even open until after 9am you are talking about seeing Athens in about 3 hours!

We often preach that cruisers need to carefully review both port times and the day of the week in each port (Sunday and Mondays can find many closures).

Hank

Thanks for input guys! I still have tons of research to do, but you have all been very helpful. I just found this itinerary on HAL which looks pretty good, inside starting at 999 in October. I am really not thinking about this cruise until next year, just trying to see where my best bets will be.

Athens--4pm

Kusadasi-8-6

Rhodes-8-5

Santorini-8-5

Katakalon-8-5

Sea Day

Naples 8-6

Rome

Monday at Sea, Kataklon on Sunday

:)

Edited by sillysarah456

Thanks for input guys! I still have tons of research to do, but you have all been very helpful. I just found this itinerary on HAL which looks pretty good, inside starting at 999 in October. I am really not thinking about this cruise until next year, just trying to see where my best bets will be.

Athens--4pm

Kusadasi-8-6

Rhodes-8-5

Santorini-8-5

Katakalon-8-5

Sea Day

Naples 8-6

Rome

That's a pretty good itinerary. Don't forget to budget/plan so you could spend a couple of days in Athens pre-cruise and if possible in Rome at the end of the cruise. Otherwise you'll have little or no time to see them.

Below is the "Greece, Turkey & Italy Medley" 14-day segment that we will be on.

We will arrive in Athens a few days before we board the Emerald Princess to have extended time to explore Athens.

After we disembark in Civitavecchia, we are traveling to Rome for a few days, then train to Florence and Venice.

· Saturday, July 18 Athens Board the Emerald Princess

· Sunday, July 19 Santorini, Greece 7am – 6pm

· Monday, July 20 Crete – Heraklion 8am – 5pm

· Tuesday, July 21 Rhodes, Greece 8am – 5pm

· Wednesday, July 22 Kusadasi, Turkey 8am – 5pm

· Thursday, July 23 At Sea

· Friday, July 24 Istanbul 8am – overnight

· Saturday, July 25 Istanbul overnight – 11pm

· Sunday, July 26 At Sea

· Monday, July 27 Mykonos 7am – 10pm

· Tuesday, July 28 At Sea

· Wednesday, July 29 Valletta, Malta 7am – 5pm

· Thursday, July 30 Messina, Italy 7am – 5pm

· Friday, July 31 Naples, Italy 7am – 6pm

· Saturday, August 1 Civitavecchia/Rome 5am – 6pm

There are plenty of 7 day itineraries that start in Venezia or Covitavecchia (Roma) and end up in Athens and v.v. and call at the ports you have named BUT you are only going to get a berth in the brig for $ 1000 per person .

Realistically expect to pay $ 1500 - $ 1700 pp for 7 day Mediteranean cruise with a quality cruise line, at $ 1000 if you can find anything it will be a rust bucket .

• 2 months later...

We are boarding HAL Zuiderdam on 10/14 from Athens to Ft Lauderdale for 26 nights.The first 7 night segment is from Athens to Rome and includes the ports you want.It is being sold at $999 for an inside and $1299 for an ocean view but would expect those amounts to plummet as the date nears as it is only a 7 night cruise.Good Luck!

You could also consider simply doing a Greek Isles cruise and then visiting Naples separately. The train system in Italy is very good so you could visit Naples pre or post cruise and then just take a train to or from the port (it seems a lot of Greek Isles cruises are out of Venice).

Athens--4pm

Kusadasi-8-6

Rhodes-8-5

Santorini-8-5

Katakalon-8-5

Sea Day

Naples 8-6

Rome

Sillysarah, don't give up. I would love this cruise on HAL (they are my favorite line). I chose Princess as they went to Mykonos and that was really on my bucket list. I had doubts as to size of the Grand Princess, and the day we were supposed to go to Mykonos, winds were high and port was aborted. We sailed slowly by and on to Athens. SOOOOOO stick to your bucket list and you will persevere. Your cruise is out there. You just have to find it. Have fun searching, then taking your cruise.

It looks like sacrifices have to be made:

-consider travelling in the off-season. It is cooler, airfare is cheaper, sights will not be so crowded.

-go for a simpler cruiseline.

-go for a simple cabin. A Med cruise is port-intensive, and you are only going to use the cabin to shower, change and sleep. We personally consider a balcony on a port-intensive cruise a waste of money, since we have no time to sit there.

-Do a "one way" or "positioning" cruise. Most people don't like it, because you have more work finding the correct airfare, but since most airlines offer open jaws it is not always necessary more expensive (but do your homework!)

-Ditch one of the desired ports. I agree with CruiseMom, there are so many great ports on the Med. Several other Greek islands are great substitutes for Santorini. If you want Santorini and Athens, you might have to ditch Napels.

I must say though that I was not blown away by Costa, and others are right: their itineraries are %&$§ and can even change after booking.

You could try the simple Greek cruiseline Celestyal, they seem to be very popular in Germany. They offer 4 and 7 day cruises, visiting 4 or 6 Greek islands plus Athens or Istanbul.

Others have already mentioned the HAL Zuiderdam on the 14th of October and the Cunard Victoria on Sept 5th. If you can stretch it to 9 days, you can do the one way on RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas from Istanbul to Rome on the 3rd of July. It is a bit soon, but the Emerald Princess does a 7 day from Rome to Athens on the 13th June. Those are the only 4 viable cruises for you in your budget with your preferred ports.

If you ditch Santorini, you suddenly have a lot more options. If you ditch Napels and stick with the 2 Greek ports, you have so much choice that the hits at a well-known American online cruise agency do not fit on 1 page any more.

Please do realise that is the airfare which is going to break the bank more than the cruise price.

• 2 weeks later...

Vacations to Go dot com

Allows you to do a "custom search" where you can input the ports you are interested in. This may be what you have seen before.

Edited by Crzy4Crzn

Vacations to Go dot com

Allows you to do a "custom search" where you can input the ports you are interested in. This may be what you have seen before.

This is what I did when researching for the OP. All the options are already mentioned in this thread by others too.