Colds during and/or after cruise

Travelcat2

I did not start this thread to make it sound as if Regent has illnesses on it's ships. They keep their ships as clean and sanitized as humanly possible. However, I have had a cold on 4 our of our last 5 cruises -- always at the end of the cruise. On our last cruise I believe I caught the cold from our tour operator on the bus (with him for 3 days) prior to boarding the Voyager. I also believe that this made me immune to getting sick onboard the ship.

Just read a post from "Mr. Rumor" who just disembarked from a ship and he is fighting a cold (and losing). Regent has hand sanitizers all around the ship....... but I have noticed passengers who seem quite ill on buses coughing away (some covering their mouths...... some not). When I noticed that the person sitting behind us on a bus last month had a very bronchial cough, I hoped that this was the residual of an illness that was no longer contagious. During lunch I asked her about it and learned that the symptoms began the night before ...... meaning that she was probably still contagious. As I just said, I believe we were immune to this as we were still recovering from a cold.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and also if there are suggestions for preventing getting sick. Rachael, would love to hear your advice.

Thanks much.

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. My husband just had a really ugly cold. We share a bed, live in a small area, but I haven't caught a cold in a very long time.

I guess hand sanitizers do their job, but I think thoroughly washing your hands is the best way.

I have noticed on many of our cruises that people get the "bronchial cough". Don't know what that is all about, but wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands!!!

I, too have come home from several cruises with a cold. I don't have any suggestions except washing your hands all of the time. I hate it when passengers behind me on tour busses are coughing but other than wearing a mask, I do not know what to do. I just encourage all passengers to be aware that others can get sick from your coughing. Take your vitamins!!

I never get sick so haven't noticed this ( think I have been exposed to and developed immunity to just about every disease due to being in health care for almost 40 yrs).

But I will say that George had a terrible cough on one of our previous cruises due to a reaction to his BP meds. We were on tour, and people kept giving him the evil eye. I tried to explain that he was not contagious, but they didn't believe me. So don't just assume someone with a bad cough has a contagious disease.

We take a med pack for every cruise. Thanks to Mimito4's husband Don (retired internist) for the following recommendations; E pack/Azithromycin, lomotil for diarrhea, mucinex, sore throat lozenges). We also take 1000 mg of Vit C daily, bring Xicam and take at the first onset of cold symptoms--TC, Ida and I both returned from our 25 day Mumbai to Bali trip w/o a cold. However, will add, IMO, 1-3 hrs of daily exercise also helps fight off viruses. Also, absolutely concur with hand sanitizer comments above (use frequently--on board, during excursions, pre/post every meal).

ps...have to add growing up in the SF bay area, am tickled we have the 49rs vs Ravens in the Harbaugh brothers superbowl :)

Wes, I like your package, but instead of Vit C, I suggest a daily dose of Emergen-C. Not only does it include your 1000mg of C, but also necessary minerals to improve your immune system like zinc etc. And on top it has a lot of other minerals which help you with dehydration issues (like Gatorade). On our recent trip together we always took a bottle of water and added a package to it as one of our water supply bottles during the trip to the Bedouin camp or to Luxor. It really helps

F.

Wash your hands, wash your hands, and wash them some more! Don't touch your face, don't touch hand rails, elevator buttons..... I have become one of those ladies I used to make fun of! I carry Clorox wipes in a zip lock baggy and use them on commonly touch things in the cabin, TV remote, door knobs, bed side table, around bathroom .. And I repeat this thru out our cruise.

I also use Clorox wipes around my area on the plane. I know this sounds crazy but I have been on cruises where I was really sick and don't want to have this happen.

Bottom line wash your hands alot, don't touch what others touch, don't put your hands on your face!!!!

Now if I could just get DH to be as vigilant !!!! Somehow men ( and I don't mean to point fingers) think that washing hands once or twice is good enough and forget covering your mouth ... Yep thanks for Sharing!!

WASH YOUR HANDS AND BE CRAZY AND WIPE A FEW THINGS DOWN WITH THOSE CLOROX WIPES.... Your loved ones and follow humans will thank you!

It bugs (ha!) that the burden falls on us to take extra defensive measures rather than perhaps rely on sick people to be more proactive in keeping their germs to themselves but Im a realist. It seems to me that no matter how many precautiions we take it really boils down to luck whether we pick something up but if I have to sit near one more coughing, hacking, obviously contageous person who obviously never took Hygiene 101 I cant promise to keep my temper.

At the very first HINT of a cough or cold I've found a product called "Airborne" to work quite well. Basically its a multivitamin/mineral supplement with lots of Vit C, echinacea, etc. Other than that I keep my (regularly sanitised) fingers crossed.

I know a cold can hit at any time, but a strong immune system is your first defence. Exercise and general healthy living aids that, but of course, at our ages, we can't all have strong immune systems.

I believe it would mostly be airplanes that are implicated, rather than the cruise ships themselves, although tenders, tour buses, etc. would be good candidates for spreading viruses too.

But I'm never obsessive about preventatives and nostrums. Hand-washing, definitely. And I often take some kind of anti-diarrhetic, just in case.

Maybe I've just been lucky, and if it happened to me I'd change my tune, don't know.

Having unfortunately suffered through a nasty gastrointestinal virus on several recent cruises, I would add to the excellent advice above: bring Pepto Bismal tablets & Immodium. Both were godsends when we both were combatting virus symptoms.

Clorox wipes are a good idea but we recommend Purell wipes that come in individual packets. We wipe down airline trays, once in the cabin the usual suspects (tv tuner, bedside table, balcony door) and then the non-linen table top at Veranda or Pool Grill. Purell wipes serve, of course, a dual purpose: excellent for cleansing hands once seated at any of the restuarants versus carrying a separate liquid gel bottle of Purell. We use the wipes on our hands religiously in addition to the ship's hand saniter at entrances.

Having been sick as a dog onboard recently, I also worry about those who next occupied our cabin. They will have had no idea of the prior occupants health problems. That was an eye-opener which, based on my personal condition twice this past year on cruises, motivates me to be even more vigilant about precautionary measures onboard.

Thank you all for the helpful tips. Although I do use Clorox wipes on airplanes and Lysol spray for handles, television remote, etc. on the ship, there are some major things I am missing. Will carry the Clorox wipes while on excursions too -- a place where you cannot wash your hands.

We are vitamin fanatics -- the only colds we have had in the last five years (possibly longer) have been after or during cruises. On our last cruise we tried a new product "Halo" ..... here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Antiseptic-Adult-Doses-Berry/dp/B008PCT38U/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1358786863&sr=1-1&keywords=Halo+spray . It may work but it wasn't effective when we sat near the tour guide on the bus for 8 hours. Perhaps I wasn't using it enough. We have used Airbourne but found that we needed it in places where we could not mix it with water. I see that they now have chewables -- will definitely try it.

Again -- thanks for the tips -- think I need to go wash my hands;)

I am impressed with all of these precautions, wipes, vitamins and so on. Yet all of you report that you suffered coughs and colds.

That's why the strong immune system is important--we're surrounded by germs, all the time, it's hard to avoid them. If youre body's going to get sick, it will.

I am impressed with all of these precautions, wipes, vitamins and so on. Yet all of you report that you suffered coughs and colds.

You are right:-) Wish there were a way to avoid germs that "fly" out of people's noses and mouths when they are sick. In our normal lives we are not in such close proximity to contagious people as we are on airplanes and buses.

A comment to make you think about germs for a second...... most of us know that there are many germs on restaurant menus..... but have you thought about the salt and pepper shakers? Yuck! Just heard about this on television.... all of this is turning me into a germaphobe:rolleyes:

I"M a germaphobe and ALWAYS use sanitizer at entrance to dining venues as well as carry my own sanitizer.

One thing that really "bugs" me when dining companions pass pepper or rolls etc after licking fingers: GROSS!!! (I'm afraid it's a BAD habit!)

After many cruises only sick once and it was on Navigator - some stubborn bug.

It is important for folks to see the doctor if you have a GI problem It is usually free and the docs have good advice. Someone will come and sanitize your cabin and then you will be quarantined for a day or two. You will save lots of other folks from getting sick.

WE all get GI problems, but close quarters always are a problem.

It is important for folks to see the doctor if you have a GI problem It is usually free and the docs have good advice. Someone will come and sanitize your cabin and then you will be quarantined for a day or two. You will save lots of other folks from getting sick.

WE all get GI problems, but close quarters always are a problem.

Since when do ship's doctors do this for free? Is it because they are afraid of noro?

As for being germaphobic, I ate my share of dirt when I was a kid, I don't worry too much. Just keep my hands clean.

People with GI problems are often very reluctant to visit the ships doctor because they don't want to be quarantined in their cabin for 48hrs or whatever. It's regrettable but understandable. We met a lady on our recent Voyager cruise who had picked up "Bali Belly" before embarkation who faced the horrible dilemma of either declaring her illness and possibly being denied boarding or keeping quiet and taking the cruise she'd flown halfway across the world from the US and paid a lot of money to enjoy. Once on board her symptoms persisted and she was forced to seek medical attention anyway (which she paid for) but by then we were underway so she was able to continue her cruise. It made us ponder what we'd do in similar circumstances and in all honesty we'd probably have done the same thing.

busses when we go by, for instance any plant that is burnng something. It is a horrible cough and I carry and inhaler that doesn't work that promptly. I also carry Halls losenges which are wonderful. Before I go on a tour I use a Q-tip and put Vicks in my nose which helps, really.

I have never used wipes, but after a bout on one cruise, I am going to use them to some degree. I always wash my hands though.

All coughs are not colds. A healthy immune system is. I think I have one as I am now 73 and hardly ever sick. I agree though, the airplanes have you captive and with recirculated air, this is a place where you might likely pick up something. Put Vicks in your nose!!

Colds and influenza are airborne, and droplets from a cough or sneeze linger in the air for hours and hours. Hand washing is important, but will not prevent colds/flu if you're around people coughing and sneezing. It helps (since you're not putting the bacteria/virus into your mouth, eyes, nose via your hands), but does not prevent (since it's airborne).

GI illness is not airborne, and washing, washing, washing is vital. Hand sanitizers do not kill noro. Don't touch your face unless you have just washed your hands and have not touched ANYTHING else (including your chair, handrails, glasses, menu, table, etc). It's a habit that can be learned, though obviously it's not foolproof as it's hard to be 100% vigilent, and can be passed through a kiss, public restrooms (when the big "whoosh" goes up, if someone with recent noro used it), etc.

For colds/influenza, simply spray everything people touch in your stateroom with Lysol. For noro, Wet Ones or bleach. I carry Wet Ones (which have Benzethonium Chloride) in a ziplock and use them to wash with when soap and water are not available.

Editing to add, Wet Ones in the US contain Benzethonium Chloride, but not all "international" Wet Ones have it (they don't in the UK). Be sure yours have this ingredient or they will not be effective on noro.

Last year at this time I sat behind someone who coughed a lot during the 6 hour shore excursion, and despite my washing my hands diligently and using Purell, I was sick 2 days later. I used the Z pack we'd brought along, but the cough was so harsh, I was embarrassed to leave the room-and also felt guilty coughing into the crook of my arm or a Kleenex at dinner. SO-my husband and I took it upon ourselves to quarantine ourselves-ordering in for almost a week, seeing the doctor and getting cough medicine, etc. Upon our "release" (when I could go for more than an hour without a coughing jag), I noticed that half the dining room was coughing--and indeed, after we returned home, we found out that 2 of our aquaintances had come down with pneumonia! It distresses us to hear another cruiser say they coughed all night and couldn't sleep, yet are sitting next to us at a lecture or an excursion. I know it's hard to give up a shore excursion when you're sick, but the staff is so good about bringing food to you that more people should think of others and stay in their rooms. Sometimes washing hands, using Purell, et al doesn't do away with the germs floating in the air. Some one told me they didn't know why I stayed in our suite so long when I was sick because everyone else on the ship was sick!! Sometimes you just can't win!

Archived