Arriving on amtrac

Corklou

We will be arriving on amtrac from Orlando the evening before our cruise ? Any hotel recommendations ? Better to stay near the station or near the cruise port , sailing allure of the seas

There are no hotels of which I am aware near the Fort Lauderdale Amtrak station. The area itself is not a tourist-oriented area.

A hotel near the Port, along Route A1A, is what I would recommend. I can personally recommend Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel as well as Hyatt Regency Pier 66 as hotels where you will be welcomed, will be comfortable, and will be safe.

Thanks for the help ! Local knowledge is always best

So you decided to travel by train. US trains are not like trains in Europe.

It is very difficult to find a hotel near the port at a reasonable price. Try the info someone else suggested. Good Luck

Grace

So you decided to travel by train. US trains are not like trains in Europe.

It is very difficult to find a hotel near the port at a reasonable price. Try the info someone else suggested. Good Luck

Grace

Also, do not expect to be on-time. Plan on being at least a few hours late.

if the train is late arriving in fort Lauderdale, it would not be the end of the world as we are not cruising till the next day . I am just trying to find a hotel that would be both safe and reasonable

if the train is late arriving in fort Lauderdale, it would not be the end of the world as we are not cruising till the next day . I am just trying to find a hotel that would be both safe and reasonable

I know that you were coming in early. Just as the other poster was talking about our trains being different by not having hotels around the stations, they are also different in that they are very seldom on time.

Lots of hotels in the downtown/17th street area of Fort Lauderdale; Embassy Suites these is probably the closest to the port entrance, is popular with cruisers (hot breakfast plus free happy hour!) and is walking distance to several dining options as well as a grocery store and wine/liquor store (Total Wine). Taxi to the ship the next morning will run about $10-12

grace could you recommend a hotel to us

near the cruise port

When we cruise from Ft. Lauderdale we stay at FORT LAUDERDALE AIRPORT/CRUISEPORT INN. 1800 S Federal Highway. It used to be a Comfort Suites Hotel but was bought out around the 1st of 2016 or late 2015. Our most recent stay there was Feb. 2016 pre cruise. Their lobby needs an update as does their free breakfast area but every room/suite we have been in has been clean, well furnished and very comfortable. I don't know if you would call for a reservation or book thru one of the online agencies but their number is 754-767-8700. I believe we have stayed there at least 4 times. There are much nicer, much more expensive hotels in the area but this has always been great for us. It is within walking distance of port for an 18 year old but not for senior citizens.

Having traveled in Ireland and throughout Europe we are accustomed to first class clean, on time, comfortable trains. Train service is 100 years behind Europe in my opinion. Europe is more like the trains service in Japan. It will get you there,,,,most likely but different attitude and service.

We have sailed the Allure and she is awesome. We are sailing her older sister the Oasis in December. Anything else I can help with, just ask.

Grace

Corklou.

I'm assuming by your sailing signature, you'll be traveling on a Saturday.

There are 2 trains from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale on Saturdays. About $41 pp for adults. BUT...early train at 1020AM takes 7 hours to get to FLL and has no dining car. I think it heads to Tampa then back to east coast. Second train leaves at 1300PM and takes 4 1/2 hours and has a dining car. Both originate in NYC so could have delays on the way down.

You should look up information on the Amtrak site http://www.amtrak.com and be fully aware of what potential stops and amenities are available on each train.

Best of luck of the Irish for you.

• 1 month later...

I am also arriving on Amtrak into Fort Lauderdale for my cruise next January. I assume I will be able to get a taxi easily at the train station to take me to my Fort Lauderdale accommodation? I am aware the trains often run late, I am not too concerned about that, but would like to know there will be something at the station when I arrive! Anyone else had recent experience with this?

Just want to point out that Amtrak and Tri Rail use the same tracks in South Florida.

The Amtrak Stop is on Broward Boulevard and there actually is Days Inn or some other equal as dismal motel just over the I95 bridge within short walking distance. The neighborhood riddled with crime.

However, if you jump right back on the Tri Rail, the very next stop is the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport stop and there are a bunch of nice, new Residence Inn type hotels there. I'm sure most of those hotels do have shuttles to the port and there is plenty of dining and shopping in that immediate area.

Edited by BlueHerons

• 2 weeks later...