Formal attire on Noordam

Chickie2

We will be cruising Alaska on the HAL Noordam in late August 2016 . This will be our first cruise.

A lingering question is - what is the definitive answer about the dress code for the formal dinner on Noordam? I've read everything from a cocktail dress to a skirt or black slacks for women, and a suit or sports coat for men to slacks and a nice shirt but no jacket tie.

Can anyone with recent experience on the Noordam answer this question?

We live in Southern California where anything goes. Our general style is semi-casual, we are respectful of dress code rules.

Thank you!

We will be cruising Alaska on the HAL Noordam in late August 2016 . This will be our first cruise.

A lingering question is - what is the definitive answer about the dress code for the formal dinner on Noordam? I've read everything from a cocktail dress to a skirt or black slacks for women, and a suit or sports coat for men to slacks and a nice shirt but no jacket tie.

Can anyone with recent experience on the Noordam answer this question?

We live in Southern California where anything goes. Our general style is semi-casual, we are respectful of dress code rules.

Thank you!

My Alaska cruise aboard Noordam last year was shortly before Formal nights were re-branded as Gala nights. On the formal nights gents were seen in everything from tuxedos down to T-shirts and baseball caps. As someone who prefers formal to casual, I would rather not think what it must be like now;). It appeared that women adhered to the dress standards better than men.

The last time I looked at HAL's Website there was something about "gala" which stated that jackets and ties are appropriate, but certainly not required. It's apparent that anything goes. I'm pleased that jackets and ties, formal or otherwise, have not been banned.

HAL no longer has formal nights. And being dressed up for "Gala" nights is not enforced.

This past spring we did a 21 day repositioning cruise that we have done several times when we still had formal nights. Very few men wore suits or jackets with ties. Tuxedos were rare. Ladies wore nice skirts and blouses or slacks and a few wore cocktail dresses.

We were on the Noordam last year and most men had jackets with ties and the women had slacks and nice tops up to formal gowns. Tuxedoes were in the minority. They did prevent people with shorts and T shirts from entering and there were no baseball caps. The other nights that were casual you will find shorts and T shirts. Even the Pinnacle had a few in T shirts. That I did not like.

Gala night attire for men can be a collared shirt and slacks, but some men wear sports coats or tuxedos. I didn't feel uncomfortable wearing a dress shirt and slacks, but didn't see anyone in jeans and t shirts in the main dining room on a Holland America cruise this Spring. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HAL's current requirements, as presented in its Know Before You Go document:

CLOTHING

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirt and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants . For ladies, dressy attire is appropriate, dresses skirts and slacks are all acceptable.

Edited by Fouremco

Basically, you can do what you want. Men can wear a collared shirt and nice pants and women anything from nice pants to skirt, etc.

Or you can do a jacket,or jacket and tie for men and a dress, whether it be cocktail or long length.

As long as you look nice, it's all good. :). No pressure now with the dress code so pack what you like, wear what makes you comfortable and feel good and all will be good.

There will be a mix of dress and that's part of the fun.

DH and I like to dress a bit but that's not everyone's cup of tea. We've sat pre-dinner with people in tuxedos and people in collared shirts and nice attire. They all looked great :)

It all depends on the geographic location or demographic of the passengers.

Passengers from some countries love to dress up and will do so. Those from some other countries never dress up.

As long as everyone is clean and tidy and abides by, at least the minimum standard, everyone should enjoy themselves.

i have read many comments about the 'ambience' of the occasion being spoilt by those who are not dressed formally. Please think about those who are forced to dress formally who don't want to. Do you think they are enjoying the occasion? Please don't say 'they can eat in the Lido’. Why should they have inferior service and occasion, because they don't have a tie or jacket just so you can 'feel the ambience'.

If HAL provided and orchestra and dance floor and the dinner became a 'Dinner Dance' maybe that might give the room some ambience but putting covers on the chairs does not do it for me.

Thank you all for your responses - they're very helpful, especially foremco for the copy from HAL's document but also everyone's replies that back it up.

We would like to pack minimally but not regret taking something a little nicer. It would be nice if my husband can leave his bulky sports coat at home...... but, then again, he might regret not wearing it for a nice dinner.

We were going to try to pack just carry-on bags (a la http://onebag.com) if possible, but my mom (age 86 at the time of the cruise) is going with us and may not be as comfortable going so minimalistically and I want her to be as comfortable as possible.

Edited by Chickie2

Who gets to decide whether one is clean and tidy?

Is it the other passengers or is it the Crew?

What exactly is "clean and tidy"?

Is there a form that one can check the boxes or is it just the arbitrary decision of the decider?

Ie: if my pants have a stain on them should I be refused service in the main dining room. What if the stain will not wash out but the pants are otherwise clean? Does it matter where the stain is? How big the stain is?

Nebulous standards lead to nebulous results. Nebulous results lead to constant arguments by various parties trying to create the answers that suit themselves.

Lets let the HAL rules speak for themselves and not modify them with terms such as clean and tidy which mean something to the writer but perhaps something completely different to the reader.