Internet in your cabin

ijsa

We will be travelling to French Polynesia in October on board the Pacific Emerald. Our cabin is on the aft end of the ship overlooking the wake on Dolphin deck. Will we be able to get a good internet signal either in our room or out on the balcony. This will be the first time I have brought a computer on a trip but we are away for 28 days and we each get 500 free internet minutes. Thanks for any information you can provide.

How good the signal is in a cabin varies all over the place, so unless someone has been in your cabin before on Emerald you won't know until you get there. If your local signal is less than "excellent" recommend you find a lounge or the area near the photo shop - most poor performance is due to a lousy signal on the ship (packets get corrupted and sent multiple times to you).

That said, not sure you will get any actual internet from the satellite service. Service for ships tends to be optimized for North America and Europe (they charge the satellite batteries on the rest of the orbit). Hopefully someone who has been on the South Pacific cruises can chime in here from actual experience. We've also had problems near Iceland and Alaska (including no TV signal). Would love to go in your place - I can live without internet for that itinerary!

I have not had good internet in my cabin most times. It all depends, location, number of people on the internet, time of day, etc. There are times when I've not been able to use the wifi IN the internet cafe. So, I've had to log onto one of their computers.

I don't rely on it. It's too temperamental.

We will be travelling to French Polynesia in October on board the Pacific Emerald. Our cabin is on the aft end of the ship overlooking the wake on Dolphin deck. Will we be able to get a good internet signal either in our room or out on the balcony. This will be the first time I have brought a computer on a trip but we are away for 28 days and we each get 500 free internet minutes. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Internet is something that can not be counted on was my experience on the 2014 sailing. In the middle of the Pacific it was pretty weak throughout the ship due to our remote location. That made the chaos of our 24 hour turnaround and delay much worse than if we had decent internet. Regarding internet in your cabin: In general much depends on the proximity of the WiFi equipment in the hallways as welll as how many other passengers are on at the same time. The balcony would not be a good place to try. It's getting close, YAY!!!!! I can't wait :)

When you go to your cabin, look for the repeater in the hallway...

8017%20wifi%20repeater_zpsxlbyl63b.jpg

If the repeater is close, you should get a good signal.

One other thing to consider, internet in the South Pacific is terrible. Satellites seem to be few and far between.

Best times to go online are first thing in the AM (while most are still asleep. Think 5 or 6 AM) and late in the PM (around 10 or 11).

Tip: open your cabin door even slightly for a better and stronger WiFi connection. The door can sometimes block the connection.

If you have an Apple device, I've found that for some reason, Chrome works much better and is faster and more stable than Safari. Don't know why but it works.

No way to tell until you are onboard.