Booked an 8:30 am from FLL

I routinely use southwest to fly in and out of FLL and use points to book. I use the website to book flights versus actually calling in. I will book the early flight out and a later flight out just for insurance. Southwest only requires that you cancel 10 minutes before scheduled departure time to get a full refund of points. I usually know if I am going to make the early morning flight 10 minutes before its scheduled to depart and if I make it, I cancel the late flight. If its looking like I am not going to make the early flight, I cancel it and take the late one. Free insurance really.

I routinely use southwest to fly in and out of FLL and use points to book. I use the website to book flights versus actually calling in. I will book the early flight out and a later flight out just for insurance. Southwest only requires that you cancel 10 minutes before scheduled departure time to get a full refund of points. I usually know if I am going to make the early morning flight 10 minutes before its scheduled to depart and if I make it, I cancel the late flight. If its looking like I am not going to make the early flight, I cancel it and take the late one. Free insurance really.

Opted for a delta flight 4 pm with one stop getting in at 8:55.

Southwest told me they would see my double booking and cancel both flights

If I did that...that was my plan!

Hard to imagine that SW is that stupid to let their customers screw them out of selling seats?:confused: If their policy is as you stated, if enough people do this I can practically guarantee SW will change their policy to stop that kind of abuse.

JMHO

jc

Coming in on the Serenade on a Monday morning...I booked it on Southwest it seems to me if I don't make it I can take the 4pm on Southwest. If I book

both flights can I cancel one?

We have carry ons and will be doing self-embarkation.

Usually I am one to say the earlier flight the better,but...... I do 9am flights all the time but only off of oasis class out of lauderdale.. Getting off those ships is a piece of cake and very fast... But even then I wouldnt do 8:30.. Thats too early.. You will have to hope ALL the planets alighn that morning.

Hard to imagine that SW is that stupid to let their customers screw them out of selling seats?:confused: If their policy is as you stated, if enough people do this I can practically guarantee SW will change their policy to stop that kind of abuse.

JMHO

jc

Let me put in an asterisk..which is that I am not sure what the official company policy is on this - to say the least I am sure the practice is frowned upon. Just another thought for consideration, the airline routinely overbooks flights so my guess is they are not getting as screwed as you may think. The flexibility I have with changing tickets is a large part of the value I see with that airline and I have been fairly loyal to them because of it. More than I can say for most airlines.

I am usually pretty optimistic when it comes to making flights but I think an 8:30 AM time would ruin my last night on the ship.

I think it might put a damper on my whole cruise worrying about it!:(

too early for my comfort, and I typically book 10AM flights which most would scoff at.

I think the earliest you can EXPECT to be off the ship is 7:30AM. It may happen earlier but it could also happen earlier. Carry off your own luggage, but you still have to clear customs. Expect a line. On our last sailing (Port of Miami) we waited 10 minutes at the FRONT of the line while the friendly customs officer had a long chat with a retired nurse. :eek:

Then you have to stand in line for a taxi. Expect a wait here.

It is not very far to the airport, but what if there is traffic?

Your biggest obstacle is the check-in cut off time for your flight. Probably 8:15? Now add to that .... the line for security. The line for security is most often nothing short of ridiculous.

Please remember to report back here and let us know how it goes!

I have not read through all of the posts, but I was on the Oasis in July and did self debarkation and was in my taxi and on my way to the airport by 0625.

I had an 0845 flight.

Edited by klass2