Balcony Guarantee Cabin Question

If I book a Balcony Guarantee Cabin, is it possible that I will be assigned an OBSTRUCTED view balcony?

Calls to RCCL reservations have resulted in two different answers. One agent said I can end up with any balcony, including the possibility of an obstructed view. Another agent told me the opposite -- that I am guaranteed to have an UNobstructed balcony.

Is there a definitive answer to this question?

Thanks.

If I book a Balcony Guarantee Cabin, is it possible that I will be assigned an OBSTRUCTED view balcony?

Calls to RCCL reservations have resulted in two different answers. One agent said I can end up with any balcony, including the possibility of an obstructed view. Another agent told me the opposite -- that I am guaranteed to have an UNobstructed balcony.

Is there a definitive answer to this question?

Thanks.

You can get any balcony within the category of the guarantee. If you tell us the ship and exact category designation, we might be able to provide more info.

The ship is Anthem of the Seas - the category is Category X - Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony Guarantee.

Is it possible that I will be assigned an obstructed balcony?

Edited by defreeze

We've booked balcony guarantees twice, and both times we ended up getting great staterooms, up high without any obstructions. I suppose the risk is there, but the obstructed rooms are available for sale at a discounted rate so I suspect there actually aren't that many available and that they are reserved for those who are willing to compromise the view for a great rate. Why would RCI give you an obstructed balcony and make you unhappy, when they have customers selecting them willingly?

Hope that helps!

The ship is Anthem of the Seas - the category is Category X - Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony Guarantee.

Is it possible that I will be assigned an obstructed balcony?

Yes, you could get anything from a D0 (obstructed) to a D1 (the best in the category). There's another recent thread about this in which the person booked a X GTY rate and got a D7, D0 and D4 in successive re-bookings (due to price drops).

Unless you book an obstructed balcony GTY, you will not get one.

No such thing on Anthem - only X GTY, which could be any balcony. Also, with a GTY you could get any cabin in any category at or above the GTY.

Biker, who booked a Z GTY (inside) on the Quantum and got a D6 cabin assigned.

Edited by Biker19

Why would RCI give you an obstructed balcony and make you unhappy, when they have customers selecting them willingly?

See the other thread about GTY bookings on Anthem - the customer got a D0 (obstructed) - so it happens. It's all about inventory, not about making the customer happy. If they have 50 D6s and 1 D0 to sell, then, yes, you are likely to get a D6. But if they have lots of D0s left and few others, you are much more likely to end up with a D0. As that other thread has shown, there's no discernible pattern to GTY assignments (and no, C&A status is usually not a factor)

Which ship? Not all have big obstructions. Things like a window washing ladder don't obstruct anything, even tho it says there's an "obstruction". Some ships have lifeboats directly below the balcony....and they call it an "obstruction", but your outward view is total and complete......

Yes, you could get an obstructed balcony. If you cannot accept literally any balcony, anywhere on the ship, do not book the X gty.

Like! Like! Like!

Thank you Starry Eyes. A guarantee is what it states - you are guaranteed a particular category(balcony) . It can be anywhere - any deck - any location - over/under whatever, obstructed or not.

Thanks, M

I booked a balcony guarantee on the Anthem and was given an obstructed balcony guarantee soon after. A few days later I was assigned an unobstructed balcony.

Did Royal change your assignment on their own, or did you ask to be changed?

Did Royal change your assignment on their own, or did you ask to be changed?

I did not ask to be changed, it just happened automatically like the next day. Needless to say I was very happy but would have taken an obstructed balcony if need be. (I was upgrading from an interior at no cost so that was great to begin with.)

I did not ask to be changed, it just happened automatically like the next day. Needless to say I was very happy but would have taken an obstructed balcony if need be. (I was upgrading from an interior at no cost so that was great to begin with.)

Interesting. I knew it could happen, but this is the first time I've heard of them changing an assignment on their own.

Interesting. I knew it could happen, but this is the first time I've heard of them changing an assignment on their own.

Bob, don't you know RCI is monitoring these threads and want to make folks happy? Of course they upgraded that person who got stuck with an initial assignment of a D0 cabin.:p