Leaving from NY--Pros and Cons?

luzcruizes

Hi All!

My friend and I have taken a few cruises the past few years but always in April--Because we wanted to be in warm weather right away we flew to Florida or New Orleans. We are planning to cruise over the summer this year and are considering leaving from NY--after all we live in NYC--What are the Pros and Cons of leaving out of NY?

Also which cruise lines and ships would any one recommend that leaves from NY?

Thanks for any and all advice!

If you live in NY, the biggest "pro" is that you don't have to fly to the port. To me, that's a huge, huge plus. And relatedly, you won't be paying for a hotel the night before you sail. Another pro is that the sailaway from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (assuming you'd be there and not Cape Liberty) is spectacular. Even out of Cape Liberty, you still get to sail under the Verrazano.

Since I don't know what ship or itinerary you might be considering out of NY v. anyplace else, I can't weigh any cons for you. To me, not having to fly to get on a ship outweighs a bunch of cons in any event. I'd sail out of NY in the winter, frankly. :)

Another pro, is visiting Bermuda. Bermuda is someplace that should not be missed. Your ship stays in port like a hotel, so you are able to experience Bermuda without having to rush back to the ship. It is a very relaxing experience.

My favorite cruise out of NY is to Bermuda, I've left from Brooklyn and Manhattan. Can't beat the "harbor cruise" you do at the start. Down the Hudson and thru the narrows.

Matter of fact this year is the first in a long time I'm not leaving from my home cities ports. Family moved to Florida so killing two birds with one cruise ticket if you will...

Only 2 "cons" I could think of, but they're really not cons........ it's just what it is. Limited # of ships/lines and more limited choice of itineraries when sailing out of NYC compared to FLA. But then again, you're not going to have the option of a Canada/NE cruise or Bermuda out of Fla, either.