Tooth Whitening in the Spa?

Not personally, but I have heard that the tooth sensitivity afterward is terrible.. Not good on a cruise. I would suggest checking with your dentist about possibly using some toothpaste for sensitive teeth for a time before you do this.

NO....do NOT do it! Get some Crest Whitestrips....under $40...they work GREAT, and you can do it before you cruise. Tooth whitening can cause EXTREME sensitivity and pain...you don't want that to happen on vacation!

If you don't want to do the Crest Whitestrips (they are VERY effective), go to your dentist and have them do it...although it will cost a bundle!

This is NOT a "spa" treatment! Do NOT do it on the ship.

No way! I had it done professionally at the dentist office 15 years ago and I loved the results but no way would I trust some numbnut on a ship to do it. The poster who mentioned crest white strips working is correct. Tell your wife to start using them before she gets on the ship. She will be glad she did.

Although you can buy over the counter tooth whitening strips, I feel the most effective tooth whitening is done gradually with a prescription from your dentist. Even the most gradual whitening by prescription can cause sensitivity to some, so I would imagine if any whitening treatment performed on a ship was going to be effective enough to notice after just one treatment you will surely suffer from great sensitivity....but then again, every one reacts differently. I have been whitening my teeth for a few years, first by initial treatments by the dentist, followed up with a daily whitening rinse by Listerine (which continues to keep my teeth very white). If you're willing to spend that much money on the ship for just one treatment, then take that money and see your dentist.

My husband had it done on one of our earlier cruises ( think it was Splendour). The result was minimal and he believes to this day that some dental problems he's since had was a result of this treatment. He would have made a complaint but didn't want it done again- expensive lesson learned.

Use your dentist office if you really want it done would be our advice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Absolutely not. As someone else posted, my dentist offers teeth whitening for $99. In addition, there are different treatments with varied percentages of bleach. With using someone that is not a dental professional and if they are using a strong product, you have the potential of burning your gums. Also, for the most effective teeth whitening, you are advised to eat plain, colorless foods for a period of time, which means no coffee, tea, juices, berries, as they stain your teeth. I would never put such restrictions like that while on a cruise.

My DW saw that the ships spa offers tooth whitening treatments. At $175 for each treatment, I want to be sure it is really worth it. Anyone have experience with these treatments?:eek:

DO NOT GO NEAR THIS

who wants ultra sensitive teeth while on a cruise? plus they are not being observed by dental professionals.

a box of Crest White strips costs like $35 and works pretty well

It is offered. My dh went for an evaluation on our last cruise. It was something he really wanted to do, and they were running a special. After finding out that he would spend the last few days of the cruise going for these treatments and then avoiding anything but white foods, he changed his mind.

Just not something you want to do on a cruise vacation. I'm not sure how the price compares to on land.