North America - please help!

Florry

Hello, I recently posted that I was booked on a North America trip and someone helpfully replied that they encountered long delays getting through immigration and recommended a trip for that port - I can't find that post [emoji52] I will research each port (still got a year to go) but if anyone has any helpful guidance regarding visas etc. I would be grateful for your help. Ports: NYC, Newport - Rhode Island, Boston, Portland - Maine, Halifax - Nova Scotia, Quebec, Sydney - NS. Thanks in advance.

Hello, I recently posted that I was booked on a North America trip and someone helpfully replied that they encountered long delays getting through immigration and recommended a trip for that port - I can't find that post [emoji52] I will research each port (still got a year to go) but if anyone has any helpful guidance regarding visas etc. I would be grateful for your help. Ports: NYC, Newport - Rhode Island, Boston, Portland - Maine, Halifax - Nova Scotia, Quebec, Sydney - NS. Thanks in advance.

This sounds like the trip we're doing this year although we don't do Sydney. You will need an Esta visa for the States ($14 p.p. - go via the official US site - some sites are intermediaries and charge you to get the visa which you can do yourself at no extra cost) and I think perhaps the port where there are immigration delays will be NY - your first US port of call. Perhaps booking an excursion for that first afternoon may mean you are processed first through immigration so that could be the recommendation you were given. I've been busy researching but I'll be happy to feedback when we get back if you have any specific port queries. We're looking forward to it - sounds like a great itinerary.

This sounds like the trip we're doing this year although we don't do Sydney. You will need an Esta visa for the States ($14 p.p. - go via the official US site - some sites are intermediaries and charge you to get the visa which you can do yourself at no extra cost) and I think perhaps the port where there are immigration delays will be NY - your first US port of call. Perhaps booking an excursion for that first afternoon may mean you are processed first through immigration so that could be the recommendation you were given. I've been busy researching but I'll be happy to feedback when we get back if you have any specific port queries. We're looking forward to it - sounds like a great itinerary.

Brilliant, thank you!

Hi Florry - and kruzseeka

We did this trip back in 2011 albeit on the QM2, and we didn't do Sydney either.I'll start by saying you will love it!

As kruzseeka says you will need to sort out your ESTA and be wary of unofficial sites offering the service!

We only had one day in NY and decided to do a ships tour,( New York in a day - we saw a lot, Central Park, Ground Zero, went up the Rockefella building, had a couple of stops during the day where we had free time eg lunch, ) especially as we had never been there before. We were taken through immigration separately, and before, those going it alone and didn't have any hassle. We also had people disembarking in NY and they went through separate channels, as did all those who were not going ashore! In NY everyone has to get off the ship and get back on again, and from what I can gather that can be very infuriating.

OK. Newport - I think we did a half day trip which included a boat trip and a short coach tour of the Mansions, and then spent the rest of the day mooching around.lovely place.

Boston - we did on our own. We walked the Freedom trail and had a great day

Bar Harbour - we did a half day tour around the Acadia National Park - and then did what you have to do and had a Lobster roll for lunch! Some lovely shops here.

Halifax - the Maritime museum the graves and we did a Duck tour of the harbour. A nice place to wander around too. Used the HOHO bus too.

Quebec - we did on our own along with my cousin who met us there. He took us all over the place! You dock right in the centre by Chateau Frontenac. We actually jumped ship (officially!) in Quebec on the second day there and then had 2 more weeks in Canada with my cousin before flying (ugh!) home from Toronto. The fall colours were amazing although they were late that year and apparently we didn't see them in their full glory.

All in all it was a fantastic trip. Have a wonderful time! Whatever you decide to do in the ports - there is lots of choice.

Edited by Mysticalmother

This is the official website for your esta:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

You usually get the decision immediately.

We've sailed into NY a couple of times and we haven't found long queues. Once we had a porter as we were disembarking and just went straight to the top of the queue. The other time we only had a few minutes wait.

Hi Florry - and kruzseeka

We did this trip back in 2011 albeit on the QM2, and we didn't do Sydney either.I'll start by saying you will love it!

As kruzseeka says you will need to sort out your ESTA and be wary of unofficial sites offering the service!

We only had one day in NY and decided to do a ships tour,( New York in a day - we saw a lot, Central Park, Ground Zero, went up the Rockefella building, had a couple of stops during the day where we had free time eg lunch, ) especially as we had never been there before. We were taken through immigration separately, and before, those going it alone and didn't have any hassle. We also had people disembarking in NY and they went through separate channels, as did all those who were not going ashore! In NY everyone has to get off the ship and get back on again, and from what I can gather that can be very infuriating.

OK. Newport - I think we did a half day trip which included a boat trip and a short coach tour of the Mansions, and then spent the rest of the day mooching around.lovely place.

Boston - we did on our own. We walked the Freedom trail and had a great day

Bar Harbour - we did a half day tour around the Acadia National Park - and then did what you have to do and had a Lobster roll for lunch! Some lovely shops here.

Halifax - the Maritime museum the graves and we did a Duck tour of the harbour. A nice place to wander around too. Used the HOHO bus too.

Quebec - we did on our own along with my cousin who met us there. He took us all over the place! You dock right in the centre by Chateau Frontenac. We actually jumped ship (officially!) in Quebec on the second day there and then had 2 more weeks in Canada with my cousin before flying (ugh!) home from Toronto. The fall colours were amazing although they were late that year and apparently we didn't see them in their full glory.

All in all it was a fantastic trip. Have a wonderful time! Whatever you decide to do in the ports - there is lots of choice.

Thank you so much for that info on your ports of call. Sounds fab - all the reports I've read of those who have done this itinerary share your view that it's a great one. The excitement is definitely growing! :)

We've sailed into NY a couple of times and we haven't found long queues. Once we had a porter as we were disembarking and just went straight to the top of the queue. The other time we only had a few minutes wait.

Thanks that's encouraging - I'm hoping we will get through reasonably quickly so that we can make use of a few hours (don't arrive until midday) before our organised excursion on the first evening. So much to see - and for a first timer to NY so difficult to decide on what to do but a pleasant dilemma to have! :)

Edited by kruzseeka

Flying in to the US and going through immigration can be a longish process. A useful tip if you do not mind changing planes, or you need to start at a UK regional airport which does not do direct flights to US. Have a look at Aer Lingus through Dublin; they have special airport based US immigration facilities in Ireland which can alleviate the problem. Their Business seats are quite reasonably priced too in my opinion if you can afford the upgrade.

Regards John

I've travelled back and forth to the U.S. a lot. If a lot of flights all arrive at the same time there can be delays getting through immigration, it once took us around an hour but most times I travelled it was 30 minutes or less.

Flying in to the US and going through immigration can be a longish process. A useful tip if you do not mind changing planes, or you need to start at a UK regional airport which does not do direct flights to US. Have a look at Aer Lingus through Dublin; they have special airport based US immigration facilities in Ireland which can alleviate the problem. Their Business seats are quite reasonably priced too in my opinion if you can afford the upgrade.

Regards John

Thank you both for the information - but we aren't flying but doing a TA so will arrive at NY cruise terminal. At least that will save us transfer time!! I think we may just be the only ship arriving at that time so hopefully there won't be too much pressure - of course it depends on the number of personnel available to process us! Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as some reports I've read.

I'll remember your tip John re flying via Dublin - sounds like a very good idea and definitely worth knowing! Thanks.

Thank you both for the information - but we aren't flying but doing a TA so will arrive at NY cruise terminal. At least that will save us transfer time!! I think we may just be the only ship arriving at that time so hopefully there won't be too much pressure - of course it depends on the number of personnel available to process us! Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as some reports I've read.

I'll remember your tip John re flying via Dublin - sounds like a very good idea and definitely worth knowing! Thanks.

Yes we are sailing there and back too, I should have said that![emoji15]

• 2 months later...

Hi Florry, :)

Well I promised to get back about our US/Canada trip so here goes. Sorry it’s taken so long – I did an account for friends then adapted that for a review which I somehow lost in trying to post it so it’s taken this long to get round to it again.

Ship:

The ship looked well - recently refurbed so in good decorative order. I especially like the size to passenger ratio on ships of a similar size to Aurora. There was lots of deck space, spacious pool deck and no problems with finding loungers or space in bars and lounges despite the large number of sea days. Passengers were almost all British and the ambience on board was very pleasant.

Dining:

Service was excellent, friendly and food choice and variety very good. We had elected to go for Freedom Dining which worked well for us. Drinks prices we thought were very reasonable and there was good selection of wine to buy by the glass (starting prices from @ £3.95 for 175ml – the Chilean Merlot we found very palatable - we tried quite a variety!)

We ate in the Beach house – very good and good value we thought and had a light lunch in the Glasshouse on two days on the way back. It was used very little – often only a handful of people there – we never saw more than about 20 but must say the food and service was excellent. We were sorry to see Café Bordeaux disappear and think the Glasshouse looks a little impersonal but can’t fault the food and it was reasonably priced too. Perhaps it will take time to become popular.

Entertainment:

Evening entertainment we thought was very good and with a variety of production shows of a good standard. We especially liked their new show ‘New Romantics’ which we thought was edgy, very upbeat and energetic. It didn’t meet with everyone’s approval but we thought it excellent. Orchestra, bands, musicians excellent with superb classical musicians. We thought Leon the CD was superb! His rendition of 'I want to break free' (yes, complete with wig, carpet sweeper and fishnets!!! ) was a revelation!

The daytime activities were slightly disappointing on the return when there were no port lectures which were excellent on the outbound journey. Lecturers varied from excellent to poor. Perhaps there should be more vetting in this respect. I know you will never be able to satisfy everyone in terms of the subject matter of lectures but the quality of delivery and ability of the lecturer to engage the audience should be a given. As we often struggled to go to all the very good entertainment offerings in the evening, I would have liked to see one of the classical recitals moved to the afternoon on the return TA leg. But small points – what with a coffee here, a spell of reading there, odd visit to the cinema, lectures and eating and chatting(!) it wasn’t difficult to fill our time.

Ports of call:

New York

The itinerary was superb though. NY was so exciting with an overnight there and the sail in towards the Manhattan skyline and past the Statue of Liberty seemed unreal and such a treat. What a sail-in toonot to be missed! Arriving late morning allowed us to have breakfast then enjoy the sail-in at a civilised hour. We were berthed in Manhattan so could just walk off into Midtown - fantastic!

US immigration is a pain though – it took over 4 hours and we heard tales of worse at other US ports! We were told that everybody had to go through immigration (dockside) irrespective of whether they were intending to get off the ship and that no-one would be allowed back on board until the whole ship’s complement had been processed! Hearing that we elected to book a half day orientation (Highlights) tour thinking we would probably be called earlier for immigration. That proved to be the case.

Obviously tickets (group numbers) for immigration had been issued to both those on tours and independents the previous day – rather like the registration process on embarking. We had docked an hour early so a few independent groups were called before us as I guess they were waiting for our coaches to arrive but I would say it is worth booking an excursion to get off more promptly and make more of the first afternoon. We docked at 11.00 and were called about 11.45 to start immigration. We were on the coach and off by 12.30 although it was supposed to be a 1.15 departure but the coach filled up and we went. Our friends went off independently at 2.30 but we heard that some didn’t clear immigration until 3.30. So it is a bit of an issue and of course you can’t predict how many personnel will be there to process you (only half the booths were in use) or whether other ships will arrive at the same time and put more pressure on. But I would suggest booking a tour that first afternoon does give you a head start.

The Pope was in town the same two days as us which did create some problems. They cancelled all the trips visiting 9/11 because of access and security issues so we didn’t expect to see it on our tour but our guide did a quick recce and discovered if we were prepared to walk for 5 minutes (couldn’t get the coach closer) we could go to see it. We had half an hour there and although we hadn’t especially had it on our ‘to do’ list, I must say it was so moving and such a privilege to have been able to go that I would definitely say it’s worth visiting and recommend including it in your plans. The Highlights tour was good for orientation as well as seeing quite a few places in a short time like views of Chinatown, Little Italy, Battery Park. It gave us an idea of where and what we would target the next day on foot.

In the evening we did the City by Night trip – again so worthwhile. The lights at night are a sight to behold. We did the one without the Empire State although in hindsight perhaps I would choose that one another time but we had concerns about queuing to get up to the top which put us off but we met some people who did that tour and said there were no queues at all. It’s unpredictable I guess. Our trip was good though. It took us over the Brooklyn Br where we had some time in a park along the waterfront across the river from Manhattan and had the fantastic views of the NY skyline all lit up! They left us for an hour in Times Square too. Manic!

The following day we went off independently on foot and went straight to the Rockefeller Centre to go up the Rock – again hoping to miss the queues. We were there by 8.30 am and it was a good move as we had no delays and it wasn’t at all busy on the top so we had plenty of time to take our photos. Then we walked to Central Park although there was restricted access here because of the Pope’s visit but we got in to part of it and got a real flavour of what it’s like, then down to Grand Central station (perhaps a long walk with not such rewarding returns but that’s just a personal view) then Times Square in the daytime (just as busy as the night before!).

Newport, Rhode Island

Next we went to Newport, a lovely scenic contrast to the city. Here we did a cliff walk which was rather rugged and not to be recommended without suitable footwear and only to be attempted if you can manage fairly energetic walking- or scrambling over rough terrain/rocks. There were some super large mansion type buildings along the shore line here – a lot of people went to visit the Bleachers here which is a well known residence open to the public. It’s easy to do this on the local bus if you wish. You must have the correct change but can buy a $6 day-pass at the bus station which avoids currency problems. Newport is a small but pretty place to have a wander around and a coffee. There are quite a few tourist shops too. This is a tender port.

Boston

Boston followed next. Great city and easy DiY. There were free shuttle buses provided into the city. That drops you near Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market - there is a real buzz around here. The take-away food options in Quincy Market have to be seen to be believed. Boston Common wasn’t as I’d imagined it but walk a bit further along to the Gardens and they are lovely. There’s a good shopping street in the centre too.

Portland, Maine

Here we did a half day trip to Kennebunkport - a very pretty, upmarket holiday home area for the very wealthy. It was a lovely run out and we were very taken with Kennebunkport so it’s a trip we could recommend. When we got back to Portland we walked along the promenade along the promontory which is quite a trek but had lovely views across the water. (Our coach to Kennebunkport had taken us around this area on the way so we had a tour of Portland included on our excursion.)

Saint John, New Brunswick

This was a very low key stop and the least interesting on the itinerary in our opinion but it was a very clean place, again pleasant public gardens and lovely flower beds and interesting street sculptures but it was ok to have a more relaxing day as we hadn't had a gap since hitting land so we were getting a bit weary!

Halifax.

I was really taken with this city. Beautiful and with extensive public gardens, an interesting Citadel and a restored historic wharf and a boardwalk with loads of eating options. This route is marked on the tourist map you can pick up at the port. We took our time and did it at a very leisurely pace but this circular walk took us most of the day. Lovely city. One of my favourite ports on this trip.

Quebec

After a sea day we arrived at Quebec. What a city with another amazing sail in. The Château Frontenac standing on top of the cliff overlooking the St Lawrence is spectacular! Wow! It was bitterly cold here – but the sun was shining and we had gone prepared and wrapped up well. It’s so French! I suppose I should have known that but it was like being in Paris with shades of the old town in Prague. The shops were so interesting too. Beautiful artisan shops and wonderful designer-style knitwear. So chic!!! There is another Citadel there too. Our friends discovered it was a special day with free entry and got into the Governor’s Residence, had canapés and saw the Governor and the inspection of a guard of honour. What a surprise and something very memorable to. We had hoped to have a drink or lunch at the Chateaux but there was a waiting list to get in and we didn’t want to waste time just sitting around waiting. But it’s definitely worth just walking in and having a look around – very impressive and opulent. We sailed out at night so saw the lights of the illuminated city. Great port of call. Beautiful city and fantastic architecture.

Sydney, Nova Scotia

Our last port was Sydney which had been a change of port for us much to some people’s disappointment as they’d wanted to do the Anne of Green Gables thing. We weren’t too bothered but did go thinking that Sydney wouldn’t be as interesting a port as Charlottetown. So we decided to do a half day trip along the Cabot Trail and to Baddeck. That was a lovely run too with more clapboard houses and delightful scenery. We had a short guided walk at Baddeck which was another attractive little town on a lake so we were glad we’d done it. Sydney was a nicer place than we’d imagined but it is small and there’s not a lot there. We walked to the park at the far end of the tender point (there was another ship docked so you may not have to tender here when you go) then along the boardwalk back to the port area. There is a very good local craft market there with a good range of products on sale at reasonable prices.

The only disappointment was that the colours were just beginning to change but we didn't get the glorious reds, oranges and yellows of the Fall as the weather had been too mild. We had wonderful weather though so warm and sunny everywhere Quebec being the only cold couple of days that we certainly felt very fortunate. Although the Autumn colours were a consideration in booking the cruise, it really didn't matter in the end as the cruise was so good.

I'd definitely recommend an itinerary like this one. Fab! I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time Florry and just wish you have as much lovely weather as we did. If you have any other questions, please just ask.

Edited by kruzseeka

Also make sure you have A hard copy of your esta. The site states that you don't need one but it's unlikely you will be allowed embarkation without one.

David.

Wow what a fantastic review, I'm going to print it tomorrow thank you [emoji1] It sounds like you had a great trip and your itinerary was the same as ours so I will follow in your footsteps! We are on Arcadia. Off to show my husband!

Also make sure you have A hard copy of your esta. The site states that you don't need one but it's unlikely you will be allowed embarkation without one.

David.

Thanks David, I'm going to sort all this out over Christmas [emoji5]️

I also read that Canada was intoducing its own eTA (Electronic Travel Authorisation ) from 15th March 2016.

We are on the same cruise I think. Arcadia Sept 2016

Thanks both another thing to arrange then. Looking forward to it Heath but lots of sea days!

Florry

We did this cruise last year. Had a fantastic time, mostly beautiful weather and early part was quite warm.

Couple of suggestions.

Boston - did the hop on, hop off trolley tour, finally getting off to walk the Freedom Trail. The ticket also included a boat tour.

Arcadia National Park - we went on a tour with the National Park Ranger Service. Excellent. Talking to fellow passengers, some of the other tours they only did limited stops and for short times. Think we had 3 fairly long stops, 15 minutes approx at 2 and longer at the final stop. The scenery was beautiful.

Sydney

We went on a private tour organised by one of the couples on the Roll Call. 6 of us in a minibus with http://www.novascotia.com/see-do/tours/blackwood-tours/2230. We had a wonderful day. Saw so much and the scenery was indescribable. Stopped at a small town for lunch (we each paid). From our experience, I can highly recommend this tour company.

Think this cruise goes down as one of our more enjoyable and certainly memorable ones. Just loved it. I am sure you will also enjoy it.

Gillian

Florry

We did this cruise last year. Had a fantastic time, mostly beautiful weather and early part was quite warm.

Couple of suggestions.

Boston - did the hop on, hop off trolley tour, finally getting off to walk the Freedom Trail. The ticket also included a boat tour.

Arcadia National Park - we went on a tour with the National Park Ranger Service. Excellent. Talking to fellow passengers, some of the other tours they only did limited stops and for short times. Think we had 3 fairly long stops, 15 minutes approx at 2 and longer at the final stop. The scenery was beautiful.

Sydney

We went on a private tour organised by one of the couples on the Roll Call. 6 of us in a minibus with http://www.novascotia.com/see-do/tours/blackwood-tours/2230. We had a wonderful day. Saw so much and the scenery was indescribable. Stopped at a small town for lunch (we each paid). From our experience, I can highly recommend this tour company.

Think this cruise goes down as one of our more enjoyable and certainly memorable ones. Just loved it. I am sure you will also enjoy it.

Gillian

Thanks for this Gillian it sounds great, we are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. I've never been to the States and it seemed a good opportunity as my husband won't fly. I will print all of this and work on the planning [emoji106]🏼