Galveston voting this month on huge increases for parking lot owners

crazy4themouse

That is correct Kat.

I believe the increases were not implemented,

because of back lash, or threat of injunction or law suit.

What are parking fees at Bayport Houston?

For seven days it's $75 if you pay online, $80 if you pay at the gate. I know Princess will be doing one four day cruise next month but son't know the cost of that.

That is correct Kat.

I believe the increases were not implemented,

because of back lash, or threat of injunction or law suit.

What are parking fees at Bayport Houston?

Bayport is $0a week or $75 advance and free for vets

My copy of an email the other day indicates they have started to implement.

Just curious if they are charging the 2 port of Galveston parking lots the same fee or are they just charging for each trip tothe Shuttle companys to deliver passengers to the port.

Edited by rdhnd

Just curious if they are charging the 2 port of Galveston parking lots the same fee or are they just charging for each trip tothe Shuttle companys to deliver passengers to the port.

Bayport is $0a week ?

Please attach copy of email.

Or supply details.

Thanks

For I cannot get info off Port website???

Edited by ssb

Just read the appropriate Tariff sections of the Port of Galveston and the Port of Houston. They seem to be vastly different. I'm not a lawyer but the charge is (as of July 2014) $28.88 per parking place per month and there is a heady charge for courtesy van registration and entry into the PoG. We cruised last January and are going again this winter and the hotels have drastically raised the room + parking + shuttle rate. This combined with the state tax on alcohol and cigarettes can make in state cruising more expensive than driving to New Orleans. As an aside, PoH charges $24.75 pp wharfage and $2 pp round trip security, payable by the cruise line. Also Bayport parking is free for disabled vets. I invite someone to check my numbers, I made a mistake once. I thought I was wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for posting this...This was my e-mail to them..

Hello. We have been cruising from Galveston for years, but if you increase the fees you will lose my business along with thousands of others. Why do you have to be greedy when you have such a good thing going ? I simply do not understand your thinking, but go ahead and shoot yourself in the foot if you like. I am sure you will not respond to my message , but thanks anyway...

Well said

I don't know the results of the vote, but it was some time ago - before Oct 10.

The "official" parking sites are $65 (prepaid) for a seven day cruise.

I would bet that this is well below the national average.

Port of New Orleans:

"Port of New Orleans cruise parking is $16 a day. "That comes to $114 for a 7 day cruise. "It is the only parking available at the site of the cruise terminals. No other parking facilities offer the convenience that is available at the cruise terminals. "

Miami is $20 per day = $120 per week.

Boston is $16 per day = $114

Los Angeles (San Pedro) is $12 per day = $84 per 7 day cruise

And the list goes on.

Bravo for Galveston.

I will continue to cruise from there.

Of course, I am from Houston.

Judy

I don't know the results of the vote, but it was some time ago - before Oct 10.

The "official" parking sites are $65 (prepaid) for a seven day cruise.

I would bet that this is well below the national average.

Port of New Orleans:

"Port of New Orleans cruise parking is $16 a day. "That comes to $114 for a 7 day cruise. "It is the only parking available at the site of the cruise terminals. No other parking facilities offer the convenience that is available at the cruise terminals. "

Miami is $20 per day = $120 per week.

Boston is $16 per day = $114

Los Angeles (San Pedro) is $12 per day = $84 per 7 day cruise

And the list goes on.

Bravo for Galveston.

I will continue to cruise from there.

Of course, I am from Houston.

Judy

"Bravo for Galveston" for what, exactly?? Systematically trying to run small, family-owned businesses into the ground? And I don't give two figs what ports in other parts of the country do. All I know is, a monopoly is never a good thing for an economy, especially when you're talking about an entity such as the Port of Galveston being at the center of it. And when your economy is supported largely by tourism, every city governing body has to do whatever they can to nurture small businesses -- they are the ones who in turn nurture the tourism trade.

The port really does seem intent on shooting themselves in the foot.

"Bravo for Galveston" for what, exactly?? Systematically trying to run small, family-owned businesses into the ground? And I don't give two figs what ports in other parts of the country do. All I know is, a monopoly is never a good thing for an economy, especially when you're talking about an entity such as the Port of Galveston being at the center of it. And when your economy is supported largely by tourism, every city governing body has to do whatever they can to nurture small businesses -- they are the ones who in turn nurture the tourism trade.

Amen. Galveston has gotten greedy and it's going to kill the golden goose. If it gets to a point where the only parking is the official port lot, because they've driven the smaller places out of business, what will it look like when you have four full time ships there next Spring and they are all at sea at the same time?

Amen. Galveston has gotten greedy and it's going to kill the golden goose. If it gets to a point where the only parking is the official port lot, because they've driven the smaller places out of business, what will it look like when you have four full time ships there next Spring and they are all at sea at the same time?

First of all, it is not the City of Galveston that is proposing the increase, but the Wharves Board that oversees the Port of Galveston.

Furthermore, the City does not own any lots at the port. There are private business owners and the Port of Galveston only. The City does not contribute funds to the operation of the Port.

Disabled Vets always have and still can park free in the Port of Galveston lots.

Owner/operators of private parking lots spoke before City Council yesterday.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

I promise that this is my last remark.

No need to reply.

We always park at a small independently owned lot i.e. small business.

They have not raised their prices.

My husband was a small business owner.

I know how hard it can get.

We borrowed from our private "stash" many times to keep things afloat.

I am totally on the side of small businesses.

IF they should be forced to raise prices, and we don't yet know if that will happen, they should still be competitive with the bigger lots.

Competition and their wonderful service will hopefully keep them in business for years to come.

No more to say.

I am closed out.

Judy

What Galveston has implemented is a $30.00 per van trip on the parking lots. So, to take you and your luggage to the pier and pick you up after will cost them a minimum of $60.00. Prices will have to rise a whole lot to cover that.

EZ Cruise is implementing a plan whereby you can save $20.00 on the parking if you drop off your luggage and passengers at the terminal, then proceed to park and WALK back to the terminal. A really long walk if you are at Terminal 2. For those not willing to walk the prices have been raised to $70.00 on the 7 night cruises ($65.00 if booked online). And they will not be offering additional discount coupons to the people using the shuttles. That is a nice hefty increase. I paid a little over $48.00 including tax in August to park for 7 nights.

All this is going to do is increase the long lines of traffic at the port and make people even more disgusted with the process in Galveston. In the beginning we found parking at the Port Authority lots a major hassle. We had to get in the long line of traffic to drop off the luggage and passengers and then another long line of traffic at the end of the cruise to pick up the luggage and passengers. We pretty much decided to avoid Galveston because if it.

Then, along came Lighthouse, EZ Cruise and the other private lots offering shuttle service like you get at the airport. They were, cheap, efficient and made embarkation and debarkation easier. You parked, they put your luggage in the van and off you went.

If we have to go back to this nonsense of getting into long traffic lines again, we will not sail from Galveston. And just imagine if it is raining and you have to WALK several blocks to pick up the car only to get in a long line of traffic. No thanks.

The port is going to need many more officers to direct traffic.

I hope they are happy when they put the small businesses out of business in order to protect the Port lots. Lots of people will lose their jobs. I think it will take a decrease in bookings because of the new short-sighted policies for the cruise lines to get involved in this fight. The cruise lines should be involved, because they stand to lose future bookings if these new fees are allowed to stand.

I understand that the lots enlisted the travel agent community as well as satisfied customers to communicate to the board that what they were doing was detrimental to the cruise business. Time will tell. Perhaps people will shift to the cruises going out of Houston. We did and this had some bearing on our decision. A protest vote with our feet if you will.

What Galveston has implemented is a $30.00 per van trip on the parking lots. So, to take you and your luggage to the pier and pick you up after will cost them a minimum of $60.00. Prices will have to rise a whole lot to cover that.

EZ Cruise is implementing a plan whereby you can save $20.00 on the parking if you drop off your luggage and passengers at the terminal, then proceed to park and WALK back to the terminal. A really long walk if you are at Terminal 2. For those not willing to walk the prices have been raised to $70.00 on the 7 night cruises ($65.00 if booked online). And they will not be offering additional discount coupons to the people using the shuttles. That is a nice hefty increase. I paid a little over $48.00 including tax in August to park for 7 nights.

All this is going to do is increase the long lines of traffic at the port and make people even more disgusted with the process in Galveston. In the beginning we found parking at the Port Authority lots a major hassle. We had to get in the long line of traffic to drop off the luggage and passengers and then another long line of traffic at the end of the cruise to pick up the luggage and passengers. We pretty much decided to avoid Galveston because if it.

Then, along came Lighthouse, EZ Cruise and the other private lots offering shuttle service like you get at the airport. They were, cheap, efficient and made embarkation and debarkation easier. You parked, they put your luggage in the van and off you went.

If we have to go back to this nonsense of getting into long traffic lines again, we will not sail from Galveston. And just imagine if it is raining and you have to WALK several blocks to pick up the car only to get in a long line of traffic. No thanks.

The port is going to need many more officers to direct traffic.

I hope they are happy when they put the small businesses out of business in order to protect the Port lots. Lots of people will lose their jobs. I think it will take a decrease in bookings because of the new short-sighted policies for the cruise lines to get involved in this fight. The cruise lines should be involved, because they stand to lose future bookings if these new fees are allowed to stand.

I understand that the lots enlisted the travel agent community as well as satisfied customers to communicate to the board that what they were doing was detrimental to the cruise business. Time will tell. Perhaps people will shift to the cruises going out of Houston. We did and this had some bearing on our decision. A protest vote with our feet if you will.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

TO DROP OFF PASSENGERS

Long lines can be horrible on Sunday's with two ships in Galveston.

The long lines are created when you follow signage on Highway off I45 at beginning of causeway over West Galveston Bay,

Signage advises you to take exit to access Cruise Terminals at Harborside.

And when you arrive ar terminals,

the entry at terminals off Harborside is a single left turn into terminals.

STAY OFF Harborside completely

Stay on 45 straight into town which turns into Broadway.

Go to 22nd and turn left

and go to and cross over (not on) Harborside into Terminals

OR

go further on Broadway to 21st or 20th etc. and turn left

and then go to and then left on Harborside,

and turn right at 22nd to enter terminals from opposite direction.

Signage is non existent

but access into terminals at 22nd and Harborside (Fishermans Wharf Restaurant)

The long lines into terminals on Harborside from west

also blocks exiting traffic from terminals

for a double barrel effect. Its a major problem.

With 12 million improvements starting next week to terminal #2

at PORT of Galveston,

the Port is also promising to change and hopefully improve

ingress and egress off Haborside with terminals #1&2.

Improvements to terminal are to be finished by summer 2015!

And before Liberty arrives in November 2015.

Edited by ssb

Just paid $43.30 for 5 day parking at Lighthouse (including the on line discount) and double checked on the shuttle service - there are no additional fees for shuttles.

The fees will be imposed on the parking lot/shuttle owners. If and/or when the fees come into effect, you won't be paying just $43.30 for your 5 day parking! Those prices would have to increase dramatically.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

With 12 million improvements starting next week to terminal #2

at PORT of Galveston,

the Port is also promising to change and hopefully improve

ingress and egress off Haborside with terminals #1&2.

Improvements to terminal are to be finished by summer 2015!

And before Liberty arrives in November 2015.

The reason for these increases is to pay for these improvements. The Port of Galvestion signed a deal with Royal Caribbean to improve the terminals. It was signed back in Jan 2014 and it was an investment of $10m. see here: http://www.portofgalveston.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=31

Even if the parking goes up $30 extranfor a 7 nite cruise - for us it's still cheaper than 6 plane tickets and 2 hotel rooms. We love Galveston and will continue to board there. We also love small business and as long as they offer comparable rates and shuttle service - we will still use them.

Just think, even if it cost $100 to park and be shuttled, it's still cheaper than the top 3 cruise ports! (Flying is such a hassle and you feel so rushed.)

Just wanted everyone to know the real reason behind the increase. Yes it's incredible greedy the amount they are increasing to but there is a reason and you will begin to see the benefits next summer!

Happy cruising everyone!

The reason for these increases is to pay for these improvements. The Port of Galvestion signed a deal with Royal Caribbean to improve the terminals. It was signed back in Jan 2014 and it was an investment of $10m. see here: http://www.portofgalveston.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=31

Even if the parking goes up $30 extranfor a 7 nite cruise - for us it's still cheaper than 6 plane tickets and 2 hotel rooms. We love Galveston and will continue to board there. We also love small business and as long as they offer comparable rates and shuttle service - we will still use them.

Just think, even if it cost $100 to park and be shuttled, it's still cheaper than the top 3 cruise ports! (Flying is such a hassle and you feel so rushed.)

Just wanted everyone to know the real reason behind the increase. Yes it's incredible greedy the amount they are increasing to but there is a reason and you will begin to see the benefits next summer!

Happy cruising everyone!

Who in the world will see the benefits except RCI and the port of Galveston?

Royal demanded the improvements to bring in bigger ships, they didn't pay for them, the port wanted more passengers and parking to improve their bottom line, their not paying either. The passengers are the ones paying for all this and I never heard a passenger or local business asking for any of it. To compare parking here to NYC or Miami is crazy, there is no comparison! This is nothing but greed on the part of Royal and Port of Galveston and it's being paid for by the passengers and small business's. Move to Bayport or New Orleans.

Who in the world will see the benefits except RCI and the port of Galveston?

Royal demanded the improvements to bring in bigger ships, they didn't pay for them, the port wanted more passengers and parking to improve their bottom line, their not paying either. The passengers are the ones paying for all this and I never heard a passenger or local business asking for any of it. To compare parking here to NYC or Miami is crazy, there is no comparison! This is nothing but greed on the part of Royal and Port of Galveston and it's being paid for by the passengers and small business's. Move to Bayport or New Orleans.

Customers of every business are the ones that pay to keep it going.

Without a profit, a business will close.

There are other cruise lines that dock here, so don't place the blame on RCI.

In an area of 6 million + residents, I don't see the fault of comparing with other large cities.

Before you criticize greed; Princess demanded the Port of Galveston pay $10 million for 6 month contract to port in Galveston.

Galveston said no; Houston paid!