Preferred currency in England

smslms

Although we have travelled extensively throughout Europe over the years we have not visited England in many years. We will be in Europe again this Spring but also in England and will carry Euros with us as well as using credit cards. Will shops, restaurants, attractions etc in England take Euros or is it best to also take GBPs. Thanks for your advice.

Thanks, good to know. Will stock up on GBP. Credit card not an issue, we've been using chip and pin technology for 10 years or so.

Cash machines are available in many locations if you prefer to withdraw cash as you need it.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello from England.

The only time we use Euros is if we go to the other parts of Europe across the channel. I think anyone in the UK would think you were mad giving them a euro -- that is if they recognised what one is. ;)

Credit cards are not a problem.

:)

The nearest we in the UK get to 'accepting' Euros is laughing at the problems they are having on the continent and a few ATMs which dispense both Euros and Pounds Sterling.

We don't hold with funny money here you know...

We do not have a 'preferred currency' - we only have one currency (I shall leave the Scottish notes out of this discussion - it just muddies the issue further):rolleyes:.

With a very few exceptional places, if you try to pay with Euros you will hear a good old 'Anglo-Saxon expression'...;)

Edited by SteveH2508

With a very few exceptional places, if you try to pay with Euros you will hear a good old 'Anglo-Saxon expression'...;)

You might be surprised, but many of the large businesses with retail sites near ports, airports, and other places where there are tourists, will take Euros.

Obviously not to be relied on, but not to be dismissed.

You might be surprised, but many of the large businesses with retail sites near ports, airports, and other places where there are tourists, will take Euros.

Obviously not to be relied on, but not to be dismissed.

I am aware of that (there are some in Central London) - I wouldn't like to reckon their exchange rates though - I'll bet they are not in the punter's favour!

I was envisioning the 'discussion' between a cabbie and a fare when they try to pay the fare in Euros (or dollars come to that):rolleyes:

Can I pay with GBP in Montreal in the shops and getting on the bus?

One of the reasons to belong to CC is to be able to ask questions. I prefaced my question by stating that we had not been in England in many years and asked what I thought was a reasonable question. If you read what I said I did not suggest that England should accept Euros as currency but merely asked a question.

The majority of responses were informative and civil. What I didn't need was your sarcastic answer. Hopefully when we visit your countrymen will be somewhat more helpful than you.

One of the reasons to belong to CC is to be able to ask questions. I prefaced my question by stating that we had not been in England in many years and asked what I thought was a reasonable question. If you read what I said I did not suggest that England should accept Euros as currency but merely asked a question.

The majority of responses were informative and civil. What I didn't need was your sarcastic answer. Hopefully when we visit your countrymen will be somewhat more helpful than you.

You got answers to your question and - as an added bonus - an exposure to the Brit's sense of humour. I guess it doesn't travel too well across the pond.:rolleyes:

I saw a London taxi driver accept dollars also - he gave them a very 'generous' rate of two Dollars to the pound. They tipped him as well:)
Did you ask him why? If it was the same cabbie that I had, he goes to the US once a year and finds that this is a very good value way of getting the correct currency for the place that he's visiting. He didn't seem to think that it was a good idea to wave UK money around in Florida, unlike his passengers in the corollary position.

I am English - of course I didn't ask.

I assumed that buying dollars at 50p each was simply profitable for him. No doubt they will have added the customary (for Americans) 20% tip as well. But you may well be correct and he was simply saving them for a trip to Disneyland.

I am English - of course I didn't ask.

I assumed that buying dollars at 50p each was simply profitable for him. No doubt they will have added the customary (for Americans) 20% tip as well. But you may well be correct and he was simply saving them for a trip to Disneyland.

If the cabby was going to Florida....

Florida....Disneyworld Huge

California...Disneyland Not huge

Details details

:D

Edited by turnip eater

I don't think they're mutually exclusive - it would have been profitable for him either way, whether he was planning to spend them himself or to sell them at a market rate!