Cape Horn

srandhr

We sailed around Cape Horn in late January/early February 2008. Summer time there. the actual sailing around the cape was interesting (and rough) but what was a lot more interesting were the ports we stopped in before and after - Uschuaia especially and also Puntarenas. I think probably any time in summer is OK and at any time you might have high winds - so rough seas. Our captain (we were on the Seven Seas Mariner) announced in the early evening that the winds were 160km/hr outside the channel and if they did not drop we were not going out... happily they dropped. At least somewhat and the seas around the Cape were OK but rough.

I think it also depends on which direction you are going. My recollection from a number of years ago is that it is better to go from Santiago to Buenos Aires than from east to west because of the prevailing winds. We went on a small ship at the end of January from Santiago and were able to make zodiac landings on Cape Horn, although some of the crew had been on seven trips and never been able to do a landing. We had 30 ft. seas the next day and had to skip our next port-so you never know.

Mary

I'm on the Regatta right now (late March). Although we had a couple of rough days heading to Cape Horn (see previous thread) the seas at Cape Horn were absolutely calm. A rescue boat was sent ashore to get our passports stamped.

Cape Horn is a classic crapshoot. You just never know what you will find there.

We sailed around Cape Horn in late January/early February 2008. Summer time there. the actual sailing around the cape was interesting (and rough) but what was a lot more interesting were the ports we stopped in before and after - Uschuaia especially and also Puntarenas. I think probably any time in summer is OK and at any time you might have high winds - so rough seas. Our captain (we were on the Seven Seas Mariner) announced in the early evening that the winds were 160km/hr outside the channel and if they did not drop we were not going out... happily they dropped. At least somewhat and the seas around the Cape were OK but rough.

You need to remember that our summer (in North America) is their winter. Gets cold there in June July Aug. and Sept.

We took the Marina Dec 5 2016 from Rio to Valparaiso, no rough weather, great trip. Coldest in the Falklands, very windy with not a tree in sight.

In fact 3 weeks out of the 4 week was very warm, great for having meals on the back deck of Terraces and poolside. Enjoyed the trip very much.

We took the Marina Dec 5 2016 from Rio to Valparaiso, no rough weather, great trip. Coldest in the Falklands, very windy with not a tree in sight.

In fact 3 weeks out of the 4 week was very warm, great for having meals on the back deck of Terraces and poolside. Enjoyed the trip very much.

We did it on Crystal, I think it was Feb. Not rough, also great weather. I do not think there are any trees in the Falklands. Also not much else. Took a ships tour there and they sent school buses for our transport. Still worth seeing.

To add my two cents worth, we were there in January 2002 and had beautiful (but cold) weather at Cape Horn, and perfect weather in the Falklands ... although the cruise before us had to pass up the Falklands completely because of the weather, only about 3 days before we were there. OTOH, we had somewhat rough seas going through the Chilean fjords. It wasn't terrible! But I felt the motion. (I'm sensitive to motion and I was NOT incapacitated.)

As has been said, there is no predicting ... but that's even true of the Caribbean or the Med where we have on occasion had rough seas.

Mura

I actually like Thursday and some times Sunday........ except some times Tuesday morning.

All in jest, this is in an area with extreme changes in weather, on a daily, weekly, hourly basis.. To suggest, plan or try to coordinate with some ideal weather pattern is a little harder than picking 2 back to back Power-ball wins.....

You pay you money and you take your chances you will be able to get a good idea 24 hours prior to actually rounding the Horn..... No one , Myself included, will be able to tell you what conditions you will experience on your cruise at any time of the year, day , decade or century in the future..

Prevailing winds..... the the horn is where 2 southbound currents collide each with their their winds...so violently that fish in the Pacific side cant swim into the Atlantic and vice a versa. Look up " Unstable weather"