Protests in Venice block cruise ships

gentlemancruiser

We are really puzzled by the direction of some of the posts. As we have posted (several times over the past few years) the cruise ship controversy regarding the Port of Venice has been going on for years, is currently an issue in both the Italian courts and the highest parts of the government...and...in good Italian tradition will not be quickly solved.

None of this has anything to do with visitor safety....and we have no clue where anyone would get any such idea or even raise the question. Venice is a very safe city (except for pick pockets) and we have strolled the streets day and night (including after midnight) with never a hint of any safety issues.

As to the major environmentalists...we suggest they simply avoid taking a cruise to Venice (or just about anywhere else) so as not to contribute to sea pollution, global warming, climate change, overpopulation, rising sea levels, exploitation of children in timbuktu, abuse of service animals, etc. For the rest of us, go to Europe, visit Venice (on sea or land) and enjoy.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We are really puzzled by the direction of some of the posts. As we have posted (several times over the past few years) the cruise ship controversy regarding the Port of Venice has been going on for years, is currently an issue in both the Italian courts and the highest parts of the government...and...in good Italian tradition will not be quickly solved. None of this has anything to do with visitor safety....and we have no clue where anyone would get any such idea or even raise the question. Venice is a very safe city (except for pick pockets) and we have strolled the streets day and night (including after midnight) with never a hint of any safety issues. As to the major environmentalists...we suggest they simply avoid taking a cruise to Venice (or just about anywhere else) so as not to contribute to sea pollution, global warming, climate change, overpopulation, rising sea levels, exploitation of children in timbuktu, abuse of service animals, etc. For the rest of us, go to Europe, visit Venice (on sea or land) and enjoy. Hank

Rustybuttons123: Venice is great when its flooded' date=' [b']no crowds[/b]

Appreciate the interesting pictures and cute comment from Rustybuttons123. Hank makes some good, wise comments on Venice safety, etc. Yes, things can be slow, twisted and tangled with the Italian government process to get things decided.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 157,373 views for this posting.

While I cannot comment on the damage caused by cruise ships, I have been hearing that cruising into Venice was on the endangered species list. I had hoped to go in the off season preferably on a smaller ship before that happened. Reading the article it seemed they had banned ships and then reversed the decision within months.

What I found interesting and/or more relatable was the pricing out of the residents. This is the reality of many urban tourist areas. I live in Chicago and Airbnb rentals have gone crazy. Every time a unit is for sale it's snapped up by some one that wants to rent it out not live in it. And I know they are working on a ban (it may be active) and there is an opt out for condo associations if you don't want Airbnb in your building.

That's my 2 cents

While I am sure that Venice could do without the thousands of tourists that visit on a daily basis, could Venice do without the money that those tourists spend? If not for tourism what would Venetian's do? Manufacturing? Banking? Higher education? Honestly, seems like a catch 22 situation, love/hate relationship.

I'm leaving on a cruise out of Venice in Nov 2017 hope I'm still able to....

I'm leaving on a cruise out of Venice in Nov 2017 hope I'm still able to....

So am I, we are probably on the same cruise. I do feel guilty about it however and will be my last cruise out of Venice. After seeing pictures of the huge cruise ships dwarfing the island of Venice, I realized that it just isn't right. However I don't feel like blowing away 3k to ease my guilt.

I was lucky to be in Venice on a day when there were no big ships in port. The next day there were ships in port and San Marco Plaza was literally wall to wall people. What a difference. But only the Venetians have a say in this, it really is none of our business.

There have been reports issued (quoted on these boards before) showing that cruise ship passengers themselves do not contribute that much to the economy of Venice. At least not the ones who are just in Venice for the day. Most eat breakfast (and a lot of them eat dinner) onboard ship, book ship-sponsored tours (so less goes to the local economy), etc.

This also is true of the hordes of day trippers who arrive in the morning in convoys of buses, buy a cheap trinket or two, then head back to the buses in the afternoon, leaving Venice with more littler than money.

This also is true of the hordes of day trippers who arrive in the morning in convoys of buses, buy a cheap trinket or two, then head back to the buses in the afternoon, leaving Venice with more littler than money.

But a great number of bus tours spend more than a day in Venice, as it is one of the three most well-known cities in Italy; hence, the passengers stay in hotels there, eat dinner there, etc. Can't tell you how many bus trips of "iconic Italy" friends have showed me for advice -- on average they include 3 nights in Rome, 2 nights in Florence and 2 nights in Venice. If you're lucky you might also get a night or two on the Amalfi Coast. :D