Is this the correct currency?

phabric

I want to might sure I take the correct currency for my ports.

St Helier. - GPB

They have Jersey pounds but they might take GBP ..we stayed a week there & just used their local currency

I want to might sure I take the correct currency for my ports.

St Helier. - GPB

Milford Haven, Wales - GPB

Dublin - Euro

Edinburgh - GPB

Yes all correct. You can use GPB in St Helier, Channel Islands.

"The Channel Islands are part of the British Isles and as such they use pounds sterling. However they do have their own bank notes and coinage."

I wouldn't buy any of the local currency though as it is not legal tender on the UK mainland and so you could be stuck with it.

In Jersey, there is one bank that issues bank notes.

In England and Wales, there is one bank that issues bank notes. (Bank of England)

In Scotland, there are three banks that issue bank notes. (Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale.)

--------

English notes are accepted anywhere.

Scottish notes are accepted anywhere in theory, but in practice many places in Jersey and England are reluctant to accept them because they haven't a clue what they're supposed to look like, and hence have no forgery checks.

Jersey notes are accepted only in Jersey.

Moral - use English notes. If you get Jersey or Scottish ones in exchange, ask (in your best Canadian accent) for English ones instead because "my bank back home won't change these".

--------

Coins are interchangeable in all three places. Maybe in theory they shouldn't be, but all UK coins come in standard sizes but almost infinite number of designs, and no-one (not even a bank) will ever bother reading the small print round the edge to find out whose is whose.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

If you get Jersey or Scottish ones in exchange, ask (in your best Canadian accent) for English ones instead because "my bank back home won't change these".

How very diplomatic.:) :D

Yep, no big deal in Jersey cos the locals know their notes aren't legal elsewhere in the UK.

But the Scots can get up-tight and protective about their bank notes, which are indeed interchangeable with Bank of England notes but outside Scotland can get shop clerks in a bit of a tizzy.

JB :)

Last time, I was Britain, I had 20 GBP and the private hire car driver would not take it, a restaurant at LHR would not take it, someone at the restaurant looked at it and thought it was a good GBP. I was told it was one of the old GBP's and to take it to one of the money exchange booths at the airport and they exchanged it with no problem.

How very diplomatic.:) :D

Yep, no big deal in Jersey cos the locals know their notes aren't legal elsewhere in the UK.

But the Scots can get up-tight and protective about their bank notes, which are indeed interchangeable with Bank of England notes but outside Scotland can get shop clerks in a bit of a tizzy.

JB :)

cheeky 😀😀😀

I have never had a problem spending Scottish bank notes in London.

Same here. Lived in and around London for many years then in Yorkshire and never had a problem. I often returned from my monthly trip to Scotland with Scottish bank notes. Assistants always checked them (as they should as they were unfamiliar with the design) but they always accepted them.

This question crops up regularly and you always get this mixed response. Don't know how many of those who reply do so regularly use Scottish notes themselves in England.

As I have previously reported, I have had several problems in the past getting Scottish notes past the cashier.

A few years ago, OH was working up in Edinburgh on a weekly basis and over the course of the year we had quite a few problems. It became a real hassle, so we always made sure we spent the notes up in Edinburgh before coming home.

Edited by Scriv

As I have previously reported, I have had several problems in the past getting Scottish notes past the cashier.

A few years ago, OH was working up in Edinburgh on a weekly basis and over the course of the year we had quite a few problems. It became a real hassle, so we always made sure we spent the notes up in Edinburgh before coming home.

We've had this discussion in the past so guess we must agree to disagree. I can only say I lived away from Scotland for 30 years and have been back home for 3 years and in my regular commutes between the two countries both then and now I've never had my Scottish notes refused.

Yes, we must agree to disagree on our different experiences on this one.

I think it is probably down to lack of training of the till persons - and maybe shop assistants don't dare challenge a genuine Scot ;)

Edited by Scriv

Yes, we must agree to disagree on our different experiences on this one.

I think it is probably down to lack of training of the till persons - and maybe shop assistants don't dare challenge a genuine Scot ;)

I'm really not at all scary! I don't normally wear my full highland outfit when I'm shopping and haven't got much of an accent these days so not sure how they'd know I was a genuine scot - whatever one of those is :D