If had medical emergency on Labadee?

CP3o

I just wondered if anyone had heard of what might happen if someone needed medical attention, maybe decent private hospital not far? In other ports RCCL might assist getting to a hospital but Labadee is a stop different from others, feels isolated and maybe awkward to go beyond fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A helicopter will come and pick you up and take you someplace else. Probably San Juan, since it's the closest.

We have been at Labadee when a second ship showed up, and as soon as it tied up, and helicopter showed up, someone came out of the ship on a stretcher, and they were lifted away. Then everyone went on to enjoy the rest of the stay in Haiti.

We've also been on a ship between Haiti and Cuba when a 'copter came in and got someone directly from the ship.

On our last Allure cruise this March a teenager broke their femur on the first sea day, when they slipped on the pool deck. They could only do so much for the injured teen and did not want to wait until they got to Falmouth to do anything.

In Labadee the causeway was closed prior to departing at the end of the day and a chopper came and landed on it. A few minutes later some nurses came quickly pushing the teen on a stretcher. He and the mother were airlifted to Dominican Republic. From there they were to be transported by air ambulance to Miami. I would think the remaining family would have got off in Falmouth, or perhaps continued on the cruise.

I do not know why they waited until the end of the day. If I had to guess it was to line up all transfers so the injured person would go directly from the chopper and be transfered into the waiting med-jet. I would think they would also have to figure out customs paper work etc as well as payment for these services. As for payment, I do not want to think about the cost but hopefully the had the right insurance.

I saw all of this from the heli-pad for the suite sailaway. I did periscope a few select bits but there was no photage of the people involved. I also spoke about it in my live review. I also had a friend up on the bridge, who was informed me of what the actual medical need was.

• 3 months later...