Roatan Safe?

Ms411

Roatan is part of Honduras.... which is a 3rd world country. It has the highest rate of murder in the world from what I have read. BUT.... that is the mainland of Honduras, not the outer islands.

We have gone to Roatan numerous times, and love the people, the island, the whole thing. We have been there by cruise ship and also on week-long landbased vacations.

BUT.... would I wander around at night, visiting bars, getting drunk, and asking about buying drugs, NO. But that is true any place.

Having been to Port Harcourt, years and years ago, (#3 on the list), Roatan is about as safe as your back yard in comparison. What these scare tactic articles don't do is let you know the circumstances behind any of these deaths. The heiress was killed by an employee, IIRC. The crew member openly using either an iPad or laptop. The rental car hold up was on an isolated road, and was an isolated incident. Details were described on this board. Sadly, both of these two incidents could have happened in any port. The other murders and taxi rapes occurred on the mainland. No cruise ship docked in Coxen Hole is around after dark. But the advice is still sound. Travel in a group. Don't display valuables. Be aware of surroundings. Most private tour vendors' drivers know to avoid certain areas.

I was in Roatan in 2008 and did not feel unsafe. I will be there again in December and am not overly concerned. If you just saw the local news for most any U S city, you would be scared to go there. Just use common sense as the article and others here posted and you should be ok. Bad things do happen, but I am not going to live in fear and let that stop me from enjoying life. If I get murdered while in a Caribbean port, at least I will die in a beautiful place :)

In Roatan it's best not to go roaming around on your own.

You'll be fine taking an excursion either with the ship or a well known independent.

If you are docked at Mahogany Bay, the extremely well secured terminal area which includes their beach, is completely safe. :)

You'll be fine taking an excursion either with the ship or a well known independent.

If you are docked at Mahogany Bay, the extremely well secured terminal area which includes their beach, is completely safe. :)

I'm going on my first cruise in October and am taking an independent tour. I do not have any qualms about exploring the island with this tour operator. This writer was just trying to generate some clicks for ad revenue, IMHO. I can't wait for October to get here so I can get my cruise on!

• 3 weeks later...

We were there last week and loved it! At no time did I feel unsafe. Our tour guide explained that the crime rate is extremely low due to several factors. One, when you go to jail you are forced to work, have only a bucket in your cell (no bathroom), and unless your family brings you food you don't eat. Two, the island is so small that if you rob someone there is no where to run to. All of the local people we came in contact with were wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Will be there in October on the Liberty of the Seas, but it just says Roatan. Where does Royal Caribbean usually dock?