Future Cruises Bought On Board

Thepominlaw

Just wondering if you can book a future cruise on board and what if any incentives (discount etc) are offered usually. Going to Norway next month but considering Caribbean then back to Southampton via the Azores wondering if it's worth booking on board?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can either book onboard and leave it with P&O or you can transfer the booking to the TA you are cruising with on your Norway cruise if you are using a TA. Another option is just to purchase a Future Cruise Deposit where you just pay deposit and then when you get home you can book whatever cruise at your leisure or with any TA. Whichever you use the benefits are the same and that is depending on number of nights the cruise is you get extra OBC.

You can book future crusies on board - I've even seen people sat at the desk on embarkation day, booking next year's trip!

The offices are usually around the reception area.

As for discounts, I'm not sure they offer too much in the way of incentives. Maybe a 10% here or there, but nothing that would make you book there and then. They do have "Captain's deals" advertised - usually a discount on the next cruise following the one you are on. Which if that's something you're able to do, it might offer a bargain.

A small caveat - I've never booked one through the service, so perhaps others may have better knowledge of the deals

I don't think you get a special deal booking on board - in my experience the prices advertised are the same as those advertised online and any offers eg Peninsular club discount etc will apply whichever route you take. The amount of obc will be the same whether you book on board, directly with P&O later or through your TA.

However, imo it's definitely worth buying the future cruise deposit especially as you have other cruises in your sights. In fact we were in a similar position once and actually bought two future cruise deposits (each) to be applied to cruises we booked once at home. As already mentioned you have a year to book though the cruises don't have to fall within the year.

If you normally book through a TA ask for the future cruise deposit to be linked to them - they get an email of confirmation. Even if you book on board and pay the cruise deposit at that point the rest of the booking can be completed by your TA and if, like ours, they apply a discount you can take advantage of that. Ours deducts it from the balance. So I don't think you've anything to lose and the 'free' obc is always welcome.

The benefit of booking onboard is that you only pay a low £50 deposit. You also get OBC which is dependent on the length of the cruise you book which ranges from £25-£100.

Your other option is to buy a future cruise deposit onboard, you pay a £50 deposit which is deducted from your next booking and get the same OBC. I believe some people do this and hold off booking onboard because you get extra OBC offered a few weeks when you return home as an incentive to rebook - so this pushes your OBC up further. I don't think it is clear when this offer is applied as in whether it is during or some time after your cruise - so worth asking.

I cruised a few weeks ago and got the offer in the post last week.

I'm sure others can shed more light!

The last 9 months or so, the deposit when booking on board has been reduced to £50, As Florry has said, extra obc of £25-100 is given. Two of the last cruises I've booked on board they doubled the extra OBC but it does seem to be cruise dependant. Bookings have always been returned to my travel agent who then usually gives an extra discount.

The benefit of booking onboard is that you only pay a low £50 deposit. You also get OBC which is dependent on the length of the cruise you book which ranges from £25-£100.

Your other option is to buy a future cruise deposit onboard, you pay a £50 deposit which is deducted from your next booking and get the same OBC. I believe some people do this and hold off booking onboard because you get extra OBC offered a few weeks when you return home as an incentive to rebook - so this pushes your OBC up further. I don't think it is clear when this offer is applied as in whether it is during or some time after your cruise - so worth asking.

I cruised a few weeks ago and got the offer in the post last week.

I'm sure others can shed more light!

We usually buy a fcd whilst on board but I don't think I've had an email on our return offering more obc as an incentive to book (after all they know I will as I've already bought into it). I wonder if you only get the email if you don't purchase a fcd on board and those who do don't get the email. I'll be interested to know if others have had this double offer.

We usually buy a fcd whilst on board but I don't think I've had an email on our return offering more obc as an incentive to book (after all they know I will as I've already bought into it). I wonder if you only get the email if you don't purchase a fcd on board and those who do don't get the email. I'll be interested to know if others have had this double offer.

I am sure people have posted they got two but I may be wrong. It wasn't an email but a little folded leaflet/booklet.

I am sure people have posted they got two but I may be wrong. It wasn't an email but a little folded leaflet/booklet.

I've had them but friends who were on the same cruises didn't get them and we had booked future cruises on board along with FCDs. Not sure if it may be due to Peninsular club level. A marker is put on your account so it is valid for multiple cruises within the time limit 60 or 90 days. I went to book and found out they had allocated this "Welcome home" bonus before I received the booklet.

Cunard also issue them and from an email sent in error to me, it looks like Princess do something similar but via email.

On Brittania last September we booked a Caribbean cruise for next February. We paid £50 each deposit and got £375 each OBC. When we got home our TA sent us all the paperwork and also gave us their usual discount. The price has also gone up quite a bit now. I think it was worthwhile for us but I did notice on Azura in May the OBC being offered was less.

On the Aurora in May we were informed the FCD was being discontinued. I cannot remember the cut off date but it's very soon..

I seem to remember hearing this before either here or on FB, but I also remember reading a denial by P&O and a comment that someone was told mistakenly on board by the cruise sales team. I wish I could find the post now, but I can't do searches on here. Maybe someone else can remember? I think the rule that has changed is that you can't buy one for someone who is not on board? Perhaps someone can clarify?

Edited by Scriv

The big advantage of actually making a booking onboard is that you just pay a £50 deposit and the balance on the payment isn't due until the usual 12 weeks before departure. This is a huge advantage if you have health issues as you only lose the £50 deposit should you have to cancel.

If you buy a future cruise deposit, then the moment you book your cruise you have to pay the full 15% deposit at the time of booking.

Both booking onboard or a future cruise deposit give the same amount of onboard credit.

The onboard offer applies to select fares only and there are no additional discounts, however once you get home you can transfer your booking to your usual travel agent who will then apply their normal discount.

Should you wish to book a world cruise, the reduced deposit is £750pp.