Juneau Whale Watch vendor

SJSMOM

Hi all. My family of 4 is going to Alaska on the Norwegian Pearl in late July. Have been lurking here for months, taking notes and getting some great information. I have all my excursions booked except Juneau. I want to do a whale watch and do the Nugget Falls trail at Mendenhall (based on what everyone has said about it here). I am now overloaded with info on whale watch companies to the point where I cannot make a decision as to which one to use. And we don't get in to port till 2pm (so that rules out Harv and Marvs since their latest tour is 2:30 and I am afraid we won't get off ship in time). I looked into Gastineau Guiding combo but that has a walk on trail other than the one to Nugget Falls. I have narrowed it down to the combo excursion offered through NCL which gives us 3 hours on the boat and I believe enough time at Mendenhall to walk to Nugget Falls (but will there be a too many people on the boat to make this enjoyable?); Juneauwhalewatch com but only 2 hrs on the boat; and Adventures in Alaska. Can anyone help me make a decision here? Thanks so much.

One one of my cruises, we got into Juneau at 2 (and tendered). I hate the 2 pm stops at Juneau. Will never do that again.

I am usually one who prefers private tours and will normally book those but in your situation, I would just go with NCL. Yes, the boat will be large but I have never heard any complaints about those who have taken the ship's excursion for whale watching as far as getting a good view, etc...

I like more time to whale watch also.

you don't indicate what time you need to be back on the ship.....

Keep in mind that the Mendenhall trails don't close until midnight, the Visitor Center at 7:30. Cabs are another option for you to consider. You could have the cab meet you at the boat dock and drop you at mendenhall. Then either arrange for a pick up 2 hrs later or just call when you're close to done. If the latter, call about 30 minutes prior since they might be coming to you from downtown. A cab from Mendenhall to the cruise dock will be about $35. Call for an estimate.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

I go whale watching almost every time I'm in Juneau (20-30 times). I am also a naturalist on whale watching boats in other parts of the country. I've been out on smaller boats including 6-packs as well as the bigger boats. I actually don't mind going with Allen Marine, who is the cruise ship vendor. The boats are big and hold a lot of people but are also fast.

Unfortunately, your whale watching experience may depend more on the mood of your captain than the size of the boat. Some captains are happy just to get you out and find a few whales and follow them around for a while. Others will go longer distances because someone radioed that there were orca or bubble-net feeding humpbacks in another location.

I think it's up to you. If you want to go whale watching and fit Mendenhall hiking into your experience in Juneau, go with what best suits your time frame. Most of the cruise lines offer side tours to the glacier as well. You used to be able to come back on the shuttle so you could stay longer at the glacier but I think someone said that might not be the case this year.....

Your comment about a 2:30 trip when docking at 2 has me concerned. I booked an 8;30 trip when docking at 8....do I need to be worried? We meet the tour right at the dock, right?.....not have to walk to a storefront nearby?

Do I need to worry?

If you booked through the ship the buses are at the dock when you get off. If you booked with a private vendor, you will probably meet the van/bus in the parking lot by the tramway. If you are at the AJ dock it can be around a 20 minute walk.

If you booked through the ship the buses are at the dock when you get off. If you booked with a private vendor, you will probably meet the van/bus in the parking lot by the tramway. If you are at the AJ dock it can be around a 20 minute walk.

We are meeting a van hired by Jayleen's Alaska (Harv and Marv's daughter who does small whale watching tours from her own boat) right at the ship. We don't have to walk anywhere. I have been communicating with her about time we get off the ship...what if we get off late...and she has been great. "No problem". We just start the tour when you get here, and I will have you back in plenty of time. They are used to the ships times and variables....ship letting their own tours off first, private tours off second, etc. The best thing about private tours is that you don't have to first go wait in an auditorium for forty minutes for everyone to get there, then forty minutes for everyone to walk slowly to the bus, board, go to the bathroom, make sure they are all there....it is a cattle bus with lots of people instead of 6-8 like the private tours. The private tours also cost less. To me it is a no brainer. They are much more flexible in timing.

Coral - of all the port times we have I like Juneau's the least!

I like the idea of the private charter (money wise it is about the same since we are 4 people) but shied away because I heard the boats are smaller and therefore more risk of getting cancelled if waters are rough. But maybe I will reach out to Jayleen's and Rum Runner Charters. Anyone have specific comments to those if you have used them?

Thanks everyone!

We are meeting a van hired by Jayleen's Alaska (Harv and Marv's daughter who does small whale watching tours from her own boat) right at the ship.

Here's a review of a trip where Jayleen was captain. She's young.

We were on a morning trip on a 6 passenger boat on June 18. Seas were 2-3 feet. Our captain was worried, as seas were bad the day before, and she was checking with the office to see how the seas would be for the return, which was 3-4 feet. We saw lots of whales but hard to take pictures. Our captain radioed she was not going back out for the afternoon. On the way back, we had to "off board" a euphemism for abandon ship, and it was not very well executed, but no one went overboard. All the other boats were getting back, but not ours. She indicated she was going to motor south, so if she was your captain, no way would she have been back, or in any shape to pilot. Sorry you missed your trip, but very scary abandoning a ship and boarding another in rough seas with a captain who was in panic mode.

We just booked a tour today for our trip in June with Juneau Tours dot com. I chose them based on previous reviews on this site, and they are #1 on TripAdvisor as well. Additionally they had the best prices of all the places I searched.

We are a family of 5... 3 adults and two kids 7 and 9. We opted for the Whale and Mendenhall tour. I've not been to Alaska before so I can't comment personally on this particular excursion, but I can tell you after hours of research, this is what we chose based on price and reviews.

Best of luck!

Scott

Coral - of all the port times we have I like Juneau's the least!

I like the idea of the private charter (money wise it is about the same since we are 4 people) but shied away because I heard the boats are smaller and therefore more risk of getting cancelled if waters are rough. But maybe I will reach out to Jayleen's and Rum Runner Charters. Anyone have specific comments to those if you have used them?

Thanks everyone!

The only reason I thought the ship's tour would work is if you get in late (2 pm) and do whale watching first and then get to Mendenhall (however, as whale watching companies can't drop off). You won't get there until after 6 pm. The shuttles stop running at 6 or 7 pm. You will then need to call for a taxi back to downtown. I am not even sure if you can do the shuttles one way anymore.

I am all for private whale watching trips and have only done private trips. I just know I did Mendenhall and whale watching with a 2 pm arrival and wish I had done it differently.

I think doing a private tour, and then calling a taxi to Mendenhall and then a taxi back from Mendenhall to downtown will be your best option if you are not going to book through the ship. Or vice versa - go to Mendenhall first and then taxi to whale watching and then have them drive you back if you do an evening whale watching trip.

Juneau is my favorite port and after having a 2 pm arrival the first time, I never made that mistake again :)

Good luck.

I go whale watching almost every time I'm in Juneau (20-30 times). I am also a naturalist on whale watching boats in other parts of the country. I've been out on smaller boats including 6-packs as well as the bigger boats. I actually don't mind going with Allen Marine, who is the cruise ship vendor. The boats are big and hold a lot of people but are also fast.

Unfortunately, your whale watching experience may depend more on the mood of your captain than the size of the boat. Some captains are happy just to get you out and find a few whales and follow them around for a while. Others will go longer distances because someone radioed that there were orca or bubble-net feeding humpbacks in another location.

I think it's up to you. If you want to go whale watching and fit Mendenhall hiking into your experience in Juneau, go with what best suits your time frame. Most of the cruise lines offer side tours to the glacier as well. You used to be able to come back on the shuttle so you could stay longer at the glacier but I think someone said that might not be the case this year.....

wolfie11~

Have you ever gone whale watching with Gastineau Guiding? We've narrowed it down to their Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari (2 hour 15-minute cruise/maximum of 14 people) or Allen Marine's Mendenhall Glacier & Wildlife Quest (3-hour cruise/maximum of 140 people; Allen Marine told me 140 people but Crystal's telling me 48 so I need to call Allen Marine to confirm).

Thanks!

Diana

I'm not through the ship, have Harv & Marv at 8:30 following the 8 am docking. The instructions say walk to the end of the gangway. We have priority disembark so hoping we can walk off quickly.

I've never heard even a little harsh word about her. She worked with her dad on his boat for MANY years before getting her own. Must be more to the story.

There actually have been a few negative reports about her, similar to what was posted above.

We are meeting a van hired by Jayleen's Alaska (Harv and Marv's daughter who does small whale watching tours from her own boat) right at the ship. We don't have to walk anywhere. I have been communicating with her about time we get off the ship...what if we get off late...and she has been great. "No problem". We just start the tour when you get here, and I will have you back in plenty of time. They are used to the ships times and variables....ship letting their own tours off first, private tours off second, etc. The best thing about private tours is that you don't have to first go wait in an auditorium for forty minutes for everyone to get there, then forty minutes for everyone to walk slowly to the bus, board, go to the bathroom, make sure they are all there....it is a cattle bus with lots of people instead of 6-8 like the private tours. The private tours also cost less. To me it is a no brainer. They are much more flexible in timing.

We are on a B2B Alaska cruise in July and will be going with Jayleen for both northbound and southbound cruises. We are looking forward to the excursion. Have a good time.

I've never heard even a little harsh word about her. She worked with her dad on his boat for MANY years before getting her own. Must be more to the story.

tellubob’s post is accurate. I don’t know who that is but I was on this trip as well. She couldn’t get us back to the dock safely so we transferred to another boat. Water was crashing over the bow, onto the top of the cabin and into the stern. This isn’t recent and things must have gotten better. They cancel their trips when the weather gets bad.

I haven’t seen anything else negative about her either. Since you’re in touch, you could always ask for her side of the story.

tellubob’s post is accurate. I don’t know who that is but I was on this trip as well. She couldn’t get us back to the dock safely so we transferred to another boat. Water was crashing over the bow, onto the top of the cabin and into the stern. This isn’t recent and things must have gotten better. They cancel their trips when the weather gets bad.

I haven’t seen anything else negative about her either. Since you’re in touch, you could always ask for her side of the story.

Our two trips were within the past year, and I checked TripAd...and she only has five star reviews with all excellent write ups, so we are booked again in June. Anyway, just saying again that there are many other options other than the ship's tours working with passengers and

their timing/requests to create an excursion that works for you. Don't feel you are limited as to what the ship offers. Many other CC'ers have been with these private tours and can highly recommend them.

wolfie11~

Have you ever gone whale watching with Gastineau Guiding? We've narrowed it down to their Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari (2 hour 15-minute cruise/maximum of 14 people) or Allen Marine's Mendenhall Glacier & Wildlife Quest (3-hour cruise/maximum of 140 people; Allen Marine told me 140 people but Crystal's telling me 48 so I need to call Allen Marine to confirm).

Thanks!

Diana

Yes, I've done both. I've done the photo safari twice. The second time was more enjoyable, as the guide was local and knew the area well. The first one had a young college student from New York who knew a lot about photography but not much about the area. The boat is small - I want to say we had 15 people.... and then either before or after you get on a bus to the glacier. You disembark 1/2 mile or so from the glacier and take a trail through the woods to take advantage of photo ops of the scenery. I got great close ups of flowers and bugs. I would definitely recommend this tour if you are interested in photography.

Allen Marine has a fleet of boats ranging from 50 pax to 200 pax. If you are in on a day when there's only a few ships they may be using the smaller boats. I have no problem with boat size and number of people. The bigger boats have more people but also more deck and viewing space. There's an advantage to the smaller boats in that you are closer to the water so that photos have a different perspective than if you are up on the second deck on a bigger boat.

635623798720625371-Whales-bubble-net-feeding-in-Juneau-Alaska-credit-State-of-Alaska-Reinhard-Pantke.jpg

Yes, I've done both. I've done the photo safari twice. The second time was more enjoyable, as the guide was local and knew the area well. The first one had a young college student from New York who knew a lot about photography but not much about the area. The boat is small - I want to say we had 15 people.... and then either before or after you get on a bus to the glacier. You disembark 1/2 mile or so from the glacier and take a trail through the woods to take advantage of photo ops of the scenery. I got great close ups of flowers and bugs. I would definitely recommend this tour if you are interested in photography.

Allen Marine has a fleet of boats ranging from 50 pax to 200 pax. If you are in on a day when there's only a few ships they may be using the smaller boats. I have no problem with boat size and number of people. The bigger boats have more people but also more deck and viewing space. There's an advantage to the smaller boats in that you are closer to the water so that photos have a different perspective than if you are up on the second deck on a bigger boat.

635623798720625371-Whales-bubble-net-feeding-in-Juneau-Alaska-credit-State-of-Alaska-Reinhard-Pantke.jpg

Thank you, wolfie11! What an amazing photo. I've gone ahead and reserved the photo safari tour.

And we don't get in to port till 2pm. I have narrowed it down to the combo excursion offered through NCL which gives us 3 hours on the boat and I believe enough time at Mendenhall to walk to Nugget Falls (but will there be a too many people on the boat to make this enjoyable?);

Based on all that you said, this would be my choice