Barcelona Pre Cruise Hotel

Bill'sBride

We are booked on Med Odyssey 10/7 of next year and I think I'm going to add the Barcelona pre-cruise. Has anyone done a Barcelona stay through Viking and if so what hotel did they use? We have booked the post cruise in Venice and did the hotel upgrade since I read the standard hotel ( Hilton Molino Stucky) was nice but took a lot of your time getting to and from it. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have read that in the past Viking used the Renaissance hotel; I don't know if that's still true.

We are going to Barcelona a few days before our New Year's cruise and staying at the Grand Hotel Central, using Starwood points. We have passed on the Viking pre-cruise option as we find we can make our own arrangements for much less. We will be doing a number of pre-cruise tours on our own and will take a taxi to the dock when it's time to board.

We are booked on Med Odyssey 10/7 of next year and I think I'm going to add the Barcelona pre-cruise. Has anyone done a Barcelona stay through Viking and if so what hotel did they use? We have booked the post cruise in Venice and did the hotel upgrade since I read the standard hotel ( Hilton Molino Stucky) was nice but took a lot of your time getting to and from it. Thanks for your help!

Are you locked into using a Viking Hotel in Barcelona pre your cruise? If not sure you could find a hotel to suit you whatever price level you are looking for.

We often stay at the Avenida Palace. It's pretty average but its location is stellar. If you want to spoil yourself the Mandarin Oriental is gorgeous and the Hotel Arts in the beach area is also lovely.

Sure others would have countless recommendations for you to consider

Check out port of call here on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor for Barcelona hotel review. I have beet there twice and will be there again after a Viking Cruise.

I will book a hotel in the Gotic area, off Las Ramblas this time..... I have stayed at Hotel Pulitzer twice, which is fine and half a block from Placa Catalunya. Just looking for a different areas next time.

I would second Spursgirl's recommendations but also add in The Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel. It is right next to the World Trade Centre berth that Viking will use. It feels like you can reach out and touch the ship from your window or balcony. It is a one minute walk to the cruise terminal.

The hotel is ultra modern and rooms are very comfortable. It is a little way from the centre of Barcelona but the HOHO bus stops outside the hotel. The bottom of Las Ramblas is a five minute walk and the Mare Magnum shopping mall which is the only one open on a Sunday, is a ten minute walk. A taxi to Plaza Catalunya is about €10 and there are always taxi's outside the hotel door.

Bill's Bride. Will be on board The Star, 10/7/17 Barcelona to Venice. Have not been actively searching for pre or post hotels. You are spurring me on!! Have heard nothing positive about the Venice Hilton. Know one of the Stars early cruises departed from a different port approx an hour away from the Barcelona Renaissance . There are 8 in our group. This will be our second Oceans Trip, after two Viking River trips. My search hotels begins today. Please keep us posted with your plans. We are planning to fly into Lisnon several days prior to arriving in Barcelona.

We are recently returned from our Mediterranean Odyssey cruise from Venice to Barcelona. We spent two nights postcruise at the Hotel Murmuri. We got a great rate, a buffet breakfast each morning(normally 16e), a bottle of Cava, and a credit for use in the bar (but which they let us use in the restaurant).

I found this hotel quite by accident and it was offering this deal thru Visa Signature, which my Visa card is. Just check the back of your card and if it says 'Visa Signature' you would qualify for this rate and benefits. The hotel is very well-located and gets great reviews. The staff was very friendly and so helpful. Our room, although on the small side, was very nice and the bathroom was gorgeous with a huge shower. There is good shopping and many nice restaurants within a short walk. Also, there is a HOHO stop very nearby.

Becki

From reading this discussion it made me want to add on the pre-stay for our Romantic Mediterranean cruise. But I noticed there was a pre-stay for Madrid now offered. Has anyone done the Madrid pre stay. I am going to start a new discussion about that if I cant find an old one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to Bill's Bride. Will u share the name of the upgraded hotel you selected for ur Venice extension? Did u arrange that thru Viking? If so is it part of your extension package? Just did the math...ther are 316 days until we all board the Star!!

When I was researching Barcelona hotels for a pre and post stay for our Viking Sea cruise in Feb/Mar I was rather shocked by how high the prices were. Then I started looking at apartments and found some of them a better deal. We've booked a beautiful apartment just north of Placa de Cataluna for our stays and we have the advantage of a full kitchen for cooking our own meals.

Bill's Bride. Will anxiously await your Venice hotel name. The Venice hotel search has been a challenge. On a brighter side have found several Barcelona Hotels,,and will likely book after the start of the New Year. We did take one action..made flight reservations on United! So know we will arrive...where we stay, pre and post is a bit of a question! Viking makes using their extensions wonderfully easy. Would take Viking's Venice post extension, but was concerned about the location of the Hilton Hotel they have been using.

Bill's Bride. Will anxiously await your Venice hotel name. The Venice hotel search has been a challenge. On a brighter side have found several Barcelona Hotels,,and will likely book after the start of the New Year. We did take one action..made flight reservations on United! So know we will arrive...where we stay, pre and post is a bit of a question! Viking makes using their extensions wonderfully easy. Would take Viking's Venice post extension, but was concerned about the location of the Hilton Hotel they have been using.

We stayed at the Hotel Olimpia at the piazzali roma...took the bus from the airport ( about 6 euros) and 20 minutes later, we were at the bus unloading area. The hotel was about a 5 minute walk including walking over one small bridge. The plan was that I was going to carry the luggage to the center of the bridge and then to the opposite end. A local woman saw what I was doing and grabbed a suitcase and carried it for me..the hotel was reasonably priced, with a small room and very nice breakfast. we had made reservations in advance to have a van pick us u in the parking lot to to the ship terminal toavoid a bit of a walk from the people mover. We were going to have porters carry the luggage from the hotel to the van, but they wanted 35e per couple so we did it ourselves.

Viking has opened a second pre-cruise extension in Barcelona so we were able to book that last night. They will be using the Hilton Barcelona. Still no information on the upgrade hotel for the Venice post extension. They are still using he Hilton Molina-Stuckey for the standard extension.

Viking has opened a second pre-cruise extension in Barcelona so we were able to book that last night. They will be using the Hilton Barcelona. Still no information on the upgrade hotel for the Venice post extension. They are still using he Hilton Molina-Stuckey for the standard extension.

Where did you see that? I don't see any mention of particular hotels on their website.

I called the rep we have been using at Viking for booking our cruises. We have 3 sailings coming up that he has helped us with, and he has been amazing to deal with and is so nice! They no longer list the hotels like they used to on their sites and in brochures, which I liked.

• 3 months later...

I called Viking today that see if they had the name of the upgrade hotel for Venice and was told we were booked at the Molina Stuckey Hilton, which is the regular hotel for the post cruise extension. Because some reviews said that this hotel can be a bit out of the way of most attractions, and some said the boat rides to get there could have lines or take a while, we wanted to book something more centrally located. I was told today that this sailing does not have another hotel option so they have put us in an upgraded room. I think I will cancel the upgrade. It was $400 for both for the two nights which is not a lot, but the hotel looks nice and I don't think I will be disappointed in whatever room we get. Have not been disappointed in the rooms through Viking yet. They said that they have the pre-cruise extension at the Barcelona Hilton. Just over 6 mos, can't wait! We leave next week on a Viking river cruise- looking forward another great Viking trip! [emoji3]

I called Viking today that see if they had the name of the upgrade hotel for Venice and was told we were booked at the Molina Stuckey Hilton' date=' which is the regular hotel for the post cruise extension. Because some reviews said that this hotel can be a bit out of the way of most attractions, and some said the boat rides to get there could have lines or take a while, we wanted to book something more centrally located. I was told today that this sailing does not have another hotel option so they have put us in an upgraded room. I think I will cancel the upgrade. It was $400 for both for the two nights which is not a lot, but the hotel looks nice and I don't think I will be disappointed in whatever room we get. Have not been disappointed in the rooms through Viking yet. They said that they have the pre-cruise extension at the Barcelona Hilton. Just over 6 mos, can't wait! We leave next week on a Viking river cruise- looking forward another great Viking trip! [emoji3']

Unclear, do you mean your post cruise hotel stay is $400. per person, or total amt for two days?

We stayed in the Room Mate Pau hotel. It was perfect - not fancy like a Renaissance or something in that price range, but close to Las Ramblas and the central square, and a great buffet breakfast included. Contemporary and really a nice location to get anywhere. Right next door was a large deli/grocery/drug store type place which was really convenient.

We ALWAYS do a pre cruise hotel.

And ALWAYS do a post cruise hotel.

We ALWAYS book it on our own.

We have done 5 stays in Barcelona. Lots of great hotel options. Would suggest on or near Ramblas. Further north is better, but anything will be fine.