HAL Visa Trip Insurance

mkl55

I recently had the unfortunate need to cancel a cruise within days of sailing for a medical emergency. Many kind souls on this board gave me great advice as to the procedure for cancelling since I had temporarily lost the ability to think straight!

Since we had gotten a great fare for this 7 day cruise, we had decided to roll the dice and rely on the trip insurance provided by the HAL Visa, never dreaming we'd actually need to use it.

I just wanted to let people know that it worked! The process was painless. I made one phone call to the number referenced in the benefits brochure, received an email with a case number; the paperwork that needed to be completed; and the name and contact information for the person handling my case. The documentation required was reasonable and easily obtained and could be submitted either through an online uploading procedure or by snail mail. The processing time was longer than I would have liked but after 4 weeks, I received an email approving my claim and was mailed a check for the full amount claimed.

interestingly, since I was reimbursed by check, I maintained the double points for the cost of the cruise on my card. While not a big deal, it was a little consolation prize.

Thank you again to all of those who so kindly helped me and I hope this helps someone else. Please be sure to read through the details before you decide to rely on this and make sure it fits your situation. Be especially in terms of the language on pre-existing medical conditions. Best wishes for making every journey you plan.

Was not aware of the HAL Visa Insurance. Is this something that you get at no cost if you pay for your cruise with the HAL Visa card? If there is a cost have you compared it to commercially available insurance with respect to cost?

Was not aware of the HAL Visa Insurance. Is this something that you get at no cost if you pay for your cruise with the HAL Visa card? If there is a cost have you compared it to commercially available insurance with respect to cost?

A lot of credit cards have trip cancellation insurance if you pay the trip with the credit card. It's offered on my Chase Sapphire Reserve and Barclays Arrival Plus.

Very interesting, and thank you for posting this!

How much of the cruise fare is covered by the HAL Visa insurance... HAL's coverage is either 80% or 90% depending which you buy. Is the Visa program 100%? And is it "Cancel for any Reason"?

Happy for you that you were able to get your refund, trusting the cause of your cancellation has been resolved and you can look forward to your next cruise! m--

Yes, it is just a perk of the card. There was no additional charge. The coverage is for up to $1,500 per 'insured person.' If your fare was paid for by the credit card, you are an insured person. It is not cancel for any reason and covered reasons are clearly spelled out. It also includes some other benefits for trip interruptions, baggage issues, medical evacuation, etc. I would not have counted on it exclusively had this been a longer, more expensive trip that included flights, hotels, etc. It fit the bill for us this time though. It's also great to know these benefits exist even simply as a supplement to a policy you are considering purchasing.

Many credit cards do offer some kind of protection. I'm not saying this is the best. I just wanted to share my experience with folks who may have used this card for points or other reasons as we did. This benefit exists, is pretty painless, and it worked.

Thank you for the good wishes. The journey back to health is still underway and we look forward to cruising again before the end of the year. It is providing great incentive for following doctor's orders.

I received a partial refund through HAL's travel insurance for the cruise I had to cancel last summer. My credit card company paid the remaining percentage through its travel insurance benefit. It also paid for the nonrefundable hotel costs (booked through Priceline). It would have paid for any money lost on our airline tickets as well--but we booked with Southwest and did not lose anything since we were able to use the credit within a year for our last two cruises.

Yes, it is just a perk of the card. There was no additional charge. The coverage is for up to $1,500 per 'insured person.' If your fare was paid for by the credit card, you are an insured person. It is not cancel for any reason and covered reasons are clearly spelled out. It also includes some other benefits for trip interruptions, baggage issues, medical evacuation, etc. I would not have counted on it exclusively had this been a longer, more expensive trip that included flights, hotels, etc. It fit the bill for us this time though. It's also great to know these benefits exist even simply as a supplement to a policy you are considering purchasing.

Many credit cards do offer some kind of protection. I'm not saying this is the best. I just wanted to share my experience with folks who may have used this card for points or other reasons as we did. This benefit exists, is pretty painless, and it worked.

Thank you for the good wishes. The journey back to health is still underway and we look forward to cruising again before the end of the year. It is providing great incentive for following doctor's orders.

Thanks for the information - I will look into getting this card for our HAL travels.

As OP pointed out, her credit card protection, as well as Chase's, is not a cancel for any reason. In confirming this with Chase, if one has a pre-existing medical condition, forget it. It seems to me that for anyone who has a chronic or past condition, such as heart surgery, diabetes, etc., etc., and for which there is a possibility of a flare-up, the only protection that I have found is HAL's CPP. If anyone knows of another insurancecarrier who can match or better than protection plan, I would love to hear of it. Even the insurance plan which we purchased at the time of making our reservation, had a pre-existing clause.

As OP pointed out, her credit card protection, as well as Chase's, is not a cancel for any reason. In confirming this with Chase, if one has a pre-existing medical condition, forget it. It seems to me that for anyone who has a chronic or past condition, such as heart surgery, diabetes, etc., etc., and for which there is a possibility of a flare-up, the only protection that I have found is HAL's CPP. If anyone knows of another insurancecarrier who can match or better than protection plan, I would love to hear of it. Even the insurance plan which we purchased at the time of making our reservation, had a pre-existing clause.

I like any of the other trip insurance policies better because if you cancel for one of those medical reasons, you get 100% back, and not the 90% of HAL CCP. Plus the medical benefits are much better if you get sick when on the trip.

... if one has a pre-existing medical condition ..., the only protection that I have found is HAL's CPP. If anyone knows of another insurance carrier who can match or better than protection plan, I would love to hear of it.

Recognizing that price is seldom the most important factor in choosing travel insurance, we have taken the Allianz "Classic for Virtuoso" coverage for all of our cruises (and other vacation travel, as well), as IMO it is the best coverage available. YMMV

I like any of the other trip insurance policies better because if you cancel for one of those medical reasons, you get 100% back, and not the 90% of HAL CCP. Plus the medical benefits are much better if you get sick when on the trip.

But which of the "other trip insurance" policies offer cancel for any reason, with no pre-existing medical condition provision? I have not found one.

But which of the "other trip insurance" policies offer cancel for any reason, with no pre-existing medical condition provision? I have not found one.

Probably not with the cancel for any reason clause. I found it one time, along with the pre-existing exclusion waiver, but don't routinely see it.

It probably is a choice between the better coverage or the cancel for any reason. Everyone has to decide which is more important to them.

Actually just input a fictional trip for next year into insuremytrip.com and got 22 policies that included cancel for any reason and no pre-esisiting condition exclusions.

Prices ranged from $366 (many around this price) to $825 (an outlier )

Recognizing that price is seldom the most important factor in choosing travel insurance, we have taken the Allianz "Classic for Virtuoso" coverage for all of our cruises (and other vacation travel, as well), as IMO it is the best coverage available. YMMV

I just checked the Classic Plan. I did not see a Classic for Virtuoso. Like other insurance policies, it does not provide a cancel for any reason. There is a cancellation provision, but for specific covered reasons. Furthermore, it would only pay 50% of the trip cost at a price of approximately 14% of the trip cost. The CPP has been costing about 10%.

The CPP is not an insurance plan, and comparing travel or trip insurance with the CPP is comparing apples and oranges. I am not looking for trip insurance. I want to be able to cancel for any reason. Does anyone know of such a plan outside the CPP.?

Many thanks mkl55 for your details. Sounds like an excellent supplement to consider, never thought about that before.

And very good to hear that the road to recovery is unfolding, especially toward another cruise planned! m--

I just checked the Classic Plan. I did not see a Classic for Virtuoso. Like other insurance policies, it does not provide a cancel for any reason. There is a cancellation provision, but for specific covered reasons. Furthermore, it would only pay 50% of the trip cost at a price of approximately 14% of the trip cost. The CPP has been costing about 10%.

The CPP is not an insurance plan, and comparing travel or trip insurance with the CPP is comparing apples and oranges. I am not looking for trip insurance. I want to be able to cancel for any reason. Does anyone know of such a plan outside the CPP.?

I suggest you re-read my Post (more carefully this time), as I was not referring to HAL's Classic Plan, but rather to a travel insurance plan (that we have purchased many times) offered under the umbrella of the Allianz Global Assistance & Allianz Travel Insurance brands. A Google search will lead you to more information about the Allianz insurance plans. You might also want to consult a good attorney or insurance broker who might be able to clarify these matters for you.

Smooth sailing $$$

Actually just input a fictional trip for next year into insuremytrip.com and got 22 policies that included cancel for any reason and no pre-esisiting condition exclusions.

Prices ranged from $366 (many around this price) to $825 (an outlier )

I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but when I plugged into that website, there were "0" policies for "cancel for any reason"; "8" for waiver of pre-existing condition;"12" for trip cancellation; and "6" for Cancel for Work Reasons.

I am not trying to be difficult. I really would like to find another carrier that does provide for Cancel for Any Reason, i.e. "I just changed my mind"; "my pet is ill", etc., etc. If I am looking in the wrong place, please advise. Thanks.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but when I plugged into that website, there were "0" policies for "cancel for any reason"; "8" for waiver of pre-existing condition;"12" for trip cancellation; and "6" for Cancel for Work Reasons.

I am not trying to be difficult. I really would like to find another carrier that does provide for Cancel for Any Reason, i.e. "I just changed my mind"; "my pet is ill", etc., etc. If I am looking in the wrong place, please advise. Thanks.

If you have a trip already booked, likely the 2 options aren't available; they are only options if booked early in the deposit process. Try with a "new booking" for a trip in the future. That's what I did and the left hand side had options to select various filters.

...I am not trying to be difficult. I really would like to find another carrier that does provide for Cancel for Any Reason, i.e. "I just changed my mind"; "my pet is ill", etc., etc. If I am looking in the wrong place, please advise. Thanks.

See my Post # 17 above.

See my Post # 17 above.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my earlier post, because I had Googled Allianz and was referring to that and not to HAL's CPP. However, I just plugged again into Insuremytrip.com, and this time it came up with a window to insert date of initial payment. (This window had not come up on my previous attempt.) Voila! There were several companies that offered "cancel for any reason" - at a healthy price, of course. However, since we are intending to make a deposit on a lengthy cruise, should it be offered in 2018, it will be well worth the cost. Thanks for your help.

If you have a trip already booked, likely the 2 options aren't available; they are only options if booked early in the deposit process. Try with a "new booking" for a trip in the future. That's what I did and the left hand side had options to select various filters.

I just tried that, and it worked. Thanks so much. I thought that I was probably doing something wrong.