Tender at Icy Strait Point

weevie

Hi!

One of the stops on our cruise is Icy Strait Point. I'm hoping to book an independent excursion here, but wondering how long it takes to get of the ship as this is a tender port. If the ship is scheduled to dock at 9am, would I be able to get off in time for a 9:30am excursion?

What is the procedure for getting off the ship at this port, do you get assigned time slots for the tender?

The procedure for getting off the ship at a tender port depends on the ship. You can ask your question on the board for the ship you are on.

ISP is building a dock, but I am not sure when it will be done.

Edited by pizzalady1

According to news reports in the Alaska media the new floating dock at ISP was scheduled be completed in late August or September of this year. I have no idea of the project is on schedule.

weevie: After checking on the tender procedures for your particular cruise line (i.e., do they give priority to passengers who are in suites or have reached higher levels of the line's loyalty program) and determining if you will have a priority status for tender, consider asking the tour provider what time folks are generally off of the ship.

Hi!

One of the stops on our cruise is Icy Strait Point. I'm hoping to book an independent excursion here, but wondering how long it takes to get of the ship as this is a tender port. If the ship is scheduled to dock at 9am, would I be able to get off in time for a 9:30am excursion?

What is the procedure for getting off the ship at this port, do you get assigned time slots for the tender?

Most private tour providers in ISP are very aware of the tendering process and will more than likely wait for you a reasonable amount of time...don't worry...double check with your operator. We have never had any problem getting off in ISP...very quick and organized.

According to news reports in the Alaska media the new floating dock at ISP was scheduled be completed in late August or September of this year. I have no idea of the project is on schedule.

Well, hopefully it will be complete by September 2016!

Well, hopefully it will be complete by September 2016!

Sorry...but I don't personally think it's a good thing for ISP.... the tendering is beautiful and sad that it's turning into just a terminal like any other port...I felt the same about Labadee...it's taken something away from it. JMHO.

Sorry...but I don't personally think it's a good thing for ISP.... the tendering is beautiful and sad that it's turning into just a terminal like any other port...I felt the same about Labadee...it's taken something away from it. JMHO.

I agree and I never mind tendering in Alaska and really enjoyed that in Sitka!

However, I am looking forward to my first visit to ISP in May 2016 :D

With any independent tour, you always, have to disclose your port time at the initial contact for reservations, then go with their recommended schedule. Of course- it's then up to you to get off your cruise ship in time. :)

I agree with you and feel the same way about Sitka.

Loved the views from that scenic tender ride right into town at Sitka and find it disappointing now to have a cruise ship dock miles away up the coast, requiring passengers to ride a shuttle bus instead of a tender.

I agree. We enjoyed the ISP tender ride and all the other tender ports that we have experienced over the years. There is something special about arriving this way. My wife loves them for the photo opportunities.

Edited by JimAOk1945