The Hump?

GophersMN

Dumb question time....what is considered "the hump"? I've read a number of posts referring to this but haven't seen anything that says what it is. Is it a specific part of the ship(mid) or something where rooms are considered to be in higher demand? If so why? Just curious....

Thanks

They are mid ship cabins, right off the elevator but very quiet.

The advantage is that the balconies bow out into a semi circle so you can look forward and back and have a view both ways. People off the hump only see in one direction...because you sticking out so far block the other way!

Cabiins are close to WJ, dining, pool, etc.

Edited by jmezmom

Not all ships have a "hump"--you need to look at the deck plans to see it! On Radiance Class ships, the hump balconies vary in size. On Voyager and Freedom class, they don't. The hump balconies are the same size as any other side balcony.

Mainly, it's the convenient location that is the draw. None of the cabins are larger than any other in it's catagory.

The advantage is that the balconies bow out into a semi circle so you can look forward and back and have a view both ways. People off the hump only see in one direction...because you sticking out so far block the other way!

What?? First you say people on these balconies can look forward and back and have a view both ways, then you say they only see in one direction. Please explain. I have a hump balcony on the Freedom in March.:confused:

• 6 years later...

Ray....looking for info on a cruise and saw your handle of Retired LEO. I am a retired leo as well although they talked me into returning (I work one hr per week less). I will be going on my second cruise on Celebrity(TA) in October. Any, I just wanted to thank you for your service and congrats for making it to retirement!

George

We enjoyed being in a "hump" stateroom. If you're interested in seeing pictures, my wife took quite a few of our room, the balcony, and a view looking up at the ship as we tendered into port.

These give you a very good perspective of how that part of the ship is shaped into a bump out area.

Here is the link to the room slide show. We were in OS 1320 on Mariner of the Seas. She took these pictures and made them into a slide show for her website

Owner's Suite 1320

This obviously can't be true for all hump cabins. Ones toward the front or back of the hump are obscured from seeing in one direction by the hump itself.

What?? First you say people on these balconies can look forward and back and have a view both ways, then you say they only see in one direction. Please explain. I have a hump balcony on the Freedom in March.:confused:

Center hump can see both ways, cabins coming off the hump can see only one way. Anywhere on the hump is great. In any balcony, you have to lean a bit to see out, even on a hump balcony you will not be able to sit in a chair and see both ways because of the dividers. Have fun on the freedom, she is a great ship.