Boarding etiquette question

elycelynne

...As to the airline boarding rules, they are what they are, and each passenger should endeavour to follow them. That being said, if I missed my boarding turn, my conscience would insist that I line up at the end and wait my turn. It doesn't matter that I paid more or less. A little common courtesy goes a long way.
If I was in F/J, or an elite, my conscience would insist I take advantage of a defined benefit and board whenever I feel like regardless of the people lined up in groups 2-5 (United). Since I'm not, I line up at the end of the appropriate queue. I don't get upset with people who take advantage of a perk. No different than elites or suites on a cruise ship getting preferential treatment as a defined benefit.

""I'm in Group 1, thank you" was a fairly mild rebuke. Some of the elites can be unpleasant towards the unwashed masses who dare question them. Also no different than a cruise ship :)

For purposes of clarification, in this case both Groups 1 and 2 boarded through the premier boarding side, so boarding through the regular boarding side hadn't even yet begun. Also, first-class boarding was even earlier than Group 1, so she wasn't part of that super-elite group either.

Not that it changes anything one way or the other. If that's United's SOP, so be it.

For purposes of clarification, in this case both Groups 1 and 2 boarded through the premier boarding side, so boarding through the regular boarding side hadn't even yet begun. Also, first-class boarding was even earlier than Group 1, so she wasn't part of that super-elite group either.

Not that it changes anything one way or the other. If that's United's SOP, so be it.

For UA, First Class boards in Group 1.

you aren't there for your boarding group, your SOL in my opinion. Even the rare cases I've flown first and missed my time, I jump over into the lane for that special group and politely wait until they let me through.

Your post makes no sense. First you say if you miss your boarding group you're SOL. Then you say that when YOU fly first and miss YOUR boarding group, you DO use the special lane to essentially jump in front of the remaining coach pax. :confused:

(Yes, I know, you wait politely til they let you through, but IME the GA's generally acknowledge those pax in the special lane rather quickly, so no real waiting to speak of.)

you aren't there for your boarding group, your [sic] SOL in my opinion. Even the rare cases I've flown first and missed my time, I jump over into the lane for that special group and politely wait until they let me through.

Great, but your opinion is completely irrelevant. As stated numerous times already, the airlines make the boarding rules, not you. No one has advocated being rude when boarding.

Elite frequent flyers and those flying first or business spend a lot of money and time flying. They have every right to take advantage of the perks offered to them by the airlines.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

you aren't there for your boarding group, your SOL in my opinion. Even the rare cases I've flown first and missed my time, I jump over into the lane for that special group and politely wait until they let me through.

I am not sure anyone was suggesting otherwise. On AA when you are taking advantage of Priority boarding you usually us the Priority lane even if you are boarding first. Although it is not clear why this would make one SOL. I do not think anyone was suggesting that a Priority boarder should push themselves ahead of anyone in the General boarding line. AA has two lines to avoid any potential conflict.

As a United airlines 1K and million miler I appreciate the priority boarding lane and don't always make it in time before general boarding begins. Many times I am barely making it to the airport in time to catch my flight or I could be caught in the lounge finishing up an important business call. I don't always have the luxury of spending thirty minutes ahead of schedule waiting in a cattle shoot. United is trying to give priority to their highest value customers allowing them to board at their leisure.

I don't condone being pushy or rude, but I frequently use the Group 1 lane and am motioned over by the gate agent even when the general boarding chutes are funneling in. By using that lane I have a shot at some overhead bin space.

The new bag fees imposed on the general flying public has lead to an increase in cabin baggage. Most of the time when they finally make it to Group 5 the overhead bin space is full. I know that no one likes waiting for checked bags, but when you are on the road week after week being able to squeeze your bag in the overhead locker is a huge benefit of being a frequent flyer. There is no rule that airlines have to follow in being "fair" in boarding. They will do whatever it takes to maximize the bottom line.

Great, but your opinion is completely irrelevant. As stated numerous times already, the airlines make the boarding rules, not you. No one has advocated being rude when boarding.

Elite frequent flyers and those flying first or business spend a lot of money and time flying. They have every right to take advantage of the perks offered to them by the airlines.

and this is why we have thousands of members who only have 2-3 posts. people like you attacking them.

and this is why we have thousands of members who only have 2-3 posts. people like you attacking them.

I didn't feel the post you quoted was at all rude or an attack. You have your opinion, but it is not shared by the airlines or most other travelers. That doesn't mean anyone is being rude or attacking. If anything you are the one lacking manners for not admitting that you don't make the rules, the airlines do.