Weather in Sept.

ranchette

September can be still very hot, like the heat of summer, but it can be getting towards cool. I'd plan for hot, humid days, as it is still summer. It is not unusual to have daytime highs in the mid-90's with overnight lows only in the low 80's. And it is not at all unusual to have 95-100% humidity, so the heat indices are in the low 100's. Also, pop-up showers are common -- localized areas of brief but heavy rain. If you're lucky enough to be under a pop-up shower, it will be significantly cooler and drier, at least for a little while. But the pop-up showers really are the kind of thing where it's raining on one side of the street but completely dry on the other.

Later in September, towards October it will begin to get slightly cool and daytime highs will be in the upper 80's with overnight lows dropping into the 70's, and the humidity will start to fall.

I can tell you our experience.

In 2012 we sailed out of N.O. the first week of November. mid to high 70's during the day and maybe low 60's at night. Perfect.

We went first part of September in 2013. It was hot. I'm from the Midwest, close to Chicago, it gets pretty hot in the summer. Especially the last few summers. High 90 degree temps a lot. And there's humidity.

But the humidity in N.O. in September was crazy! LOL I swear it felt like someone had wrapped a large sopping wet wool blanket around me and told me to walk 10 blocks. It didn't just hit you when you walked outside, it kind of draped itself around and hung on you. ;)

And then it rained. Lasted only about 10 minutes, but it rained hard and it rained a lot.

One other thing the humidity caused was a smell. Now, don't get me wrong....I absolutely loved New Orleans. Its why we cruised our second cruise out of that port. But walking downtown with that humidity.....well the smell was just horrible. Maybe it was garbage pickup day or something so everyone had their garbage out. I don't know. But I know that everyone in our party said they couldn't believe the smell this trip.

We would cruise out of N.O. again. But would go back to November, when it cools off a bit.

I can tell you our experience.

But the humidity in N.O. in September was crazy! LOL I swear it felt like someone had wrapped a large sopping wet wool blanket around me and told me to walk 10 blocks. It didn't just hit you when you walked outside, it kind of draped itself around and hung on you. ;)

And then it rained. Lasted only about 10 minutes, but it rained hard and it rained a lot.

One other thing the humidity caused was a smell. Now, don't get me wrong....I absolutely loved New Orleans. Its why we cruised our second cruise out of that port. But walking downtown with that humidity.....well the smell was just horrible. Maybe it was garbage pickup day or something so everyone had their garbage out. I don't know. But I know that everyone in our party said they couldn't believe the smell this trip.

I tell people all the time that New Orleans is the world's largest free sauna in the summer. And my father-in-law will not believe me that it can be 100% humidity and not raining. It can, and is. Often.

The rain? That's the pop-up showers I mentioned. It's heavy, quick, but localized rain. But they bring such relief from the heat/humidity, especially if they happen after 3:00 pm.

And you're right, New Orleans has a unique fragrance. It's the elephant in the room for the tourist industry. There is no escaping it. And it's worse in the summer.

And you're right, New Orleans has a unique fragrance. It's the elephant in the room for the tourist industry. There is no escaping it. And it's worse in the summer.

Lol. Elephant in the room for tourists. That perfect! Indeed that exactly how it felt. Kept looking around like "you DO smell that right?"

That said, I loved the city. Would have loved the chance to make it to a park or planatation. And the food!! My Lord I would return for the food alone. LOL but again.....not before November

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Nadersmom, I love your explanation of the heat in New Orleans. It is hard to understand how it feels if you have never experience New Orleans heat.

"But the humidity in N.O. in September was crazy! LOL I swear it felt like someone had wrapped a large sopping wet wool blanket around me and told me to walk 10 blocks. It didn't just hit you when you walked outside, it kind of draped itself around and hung on you."

We are local and this description is very accurate. I can't remember a September where we had a cool front come through. September is a hot month, even early October can be hot. If we are lucky, we will have a few cool fronts make it down by the end of October.

A cool front in September is possible but rare. Expect summer weather that by the third week in September is a tad less unbearable than August weather. But September is still summer hot with high humidity.

Edited by Reggiefan

• 1 year later...
A cool front in September is possible but rare. Expect summer weather that by the third week in September is a tad less unbearable than August weather. But September is still summer hot with high humidity.

Good morning:

We are looking to book a week in NOLA late October, 2016. We are two old folks looking to soak up some of your beautiful city and history without having to walk too much. We're looking at Hilton properties near the French Quarter. Especially interested in the WW-II Museum.

What can we expect as far as the weather? Would the following spring be better?

Would much appreciate any advice you can offer.

Best regards,

Jennie

October is usually the nicest month of the year in New Orleans. The heat and humidity are gone and the skies are clear.

Spring is far less predictable.

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I feel better about going in October now.

Looks like the Hilton Riverside is in a convenient area. From what I've read, we can take the trolley from right outside the door to the Quarter and Jefferson Square. Would we also be able to get it going through the garden district from there? We really cannot do a lot of walking.

Again, thank you for your help.

Jennie

If you really want to see the Garden District (and it is well worth seeing), you would be better off taking a guided tour.

The St. Charles Avenue streetcar passes through the edge of it, but for a real tour you would have to get off and do a good bit of walking.

The Riverfront trolley does have a stop right outside the front door of the Hilton, and has a stop just across the levee from Jackson (not Jefferson) Square. You can see the top of St. Louis Cathedral when you are at the best stop.

Just got back and the weather was nice, except for the rain we got for half the day on Sunday. However, it cleared up by early afternoon and the sun was out. The rain actually cooled the temperature. I kept telling my DD we were lucky to be there at the end of September because the heat is unbearable in July and August.