Licenses from NY, MN, NH, LA won't work in airports

blizzardboy

That isn't what that article says. At some time in the future you are going to have to have the new form of license, and it could be as early as January 1, BUT the date of implementation has not been finalized and it might be years away.

You will still be able to use your GE card as your ID for the TSA clowns to check for domestic flights.....

As the original posts were about DLs for TSA checkpoints, did not matter if domestic or international..

Yes, I am aware that you can use a GE card for TSA and did not say you couldn't. I was simply responding to a post comparing passport books to passport cards; I was not addressing GE cards. Threads often go off on tangents that may or may not be directly related to the original post. :rolleyes:

Bottom line: Passport card is fine as a check-in/TSA ID for boarding a domestic flight. An international flight requires a passport book.

It really doesn't. The passport is required to board the flight or enter the foreign country, but you can use a DL or passport card to get past security to get to the gate where you have to actually show a passport.

An international flight requires a passport book.

It really doesn't. The passport is required to board the flight or enter the foreign country, but you can use a DL or passport card to get past security to get to the gate where you have to actually show a passport.

No, it really does. Can you get through security with a DL or passport card? Sure, and I did not say you couldn't. But getting through security and actually boarding the plane are two different things, and as you yourself said, to actually take the flight, you need a passport book. So not sure what you are trying to say when you claim that an international flight does not require a passport book. :confused:

That isn't what that article says. At some time in the future you are going to have to have the new form of license, and it could be as early as January 1, BUT the date of implementation has not been finalized and it might be years away.

DHS gave the states 5 years to comply. Only 4 have regular licenses that do not. DHS has already told the states YEARS ago they would start enforcing this on 1/1/16. Seems like the 4 states made a choice not to comply.

Let's just say you don't have a Passport the TSA can't force you to pay the fee to get one. Would a Student Body Card work? Or a Gym Club Membership card work?

A Drivers License/State ID should be able to show that you are permanent legal residents by the DL/ID# when scanned the TSA should be able to see your status.

A green light means you are OK and a red light means there is a problem. There could be software that can be updated. If there is a warrant a red light appears with three buzzes (sort of like TSA Pre Check) and if everything is OK A Green Light with the Windows Tada sound) to indicate you are good to go.

Its not that hard to implement this system. Perhaps registering thumbprints and being required to place your thumb on a scanner along with the scan of the ID.

For those not permanent residents you would then be required to have a Temporary Resident Card that shows on the Drivers License and be required to carry it at all times. Failure to do so would be a misdemeanor.

We should punish the non-permanent residents by having them have a special Drivers License along with a second card that has all of their Visa status/criminal records/tax evasion/ overstay of Visa etc.

What are your thoughts?

I don't understand.

If this is the discussion on those "photo ID checks" that occur in US airports before going through security, then what does this process accomplish. As a Canadian I usually just present my passport or Canadian drivers license. The person carefully looks at my ID and circles or ticks off stuff if using a paper boarding pass. If using an electronic boarding pass on the phone they don't have any thing to circle or highlight. They may ask or make silly comments about Canadians them send me on my way to the next step in the process.

Once past security I can be rerouted or re-print the boarding pass and it then does not have all the circles, initials and highlighting that was done at the ID check.

In Canada there is no ID check before security. There is an ID check (done by the airline staff) at the gate when boarding.

Europe is even simpler.

I simply don't the purpose of this entire process. In Canada it is to ensure that the passenger on the aircraft match the manifest. In the US example, you don't have that assurance at all.

• 3 weeks later...
I think I'll be avoiding NY airports for a while. A lot of people are going to be needing passports and soon. I'm surprised that this has not been more widely reported.

What has been widely reported is just what is being reported in this article. 2016 is the earliest that this might be implemented, but there's no date, there's no firm plans, and they will let people know once the plans and dates are set.

This article was actually good, but you had to read it. The first sentence even nailed it, saying "as soon as" January...which is NOT saying "January".

That being said, I've been flying domestically for years with my passport. Airline tickets are issued in my full first and middle names and the passport is the only document that matches the ticket.

Why not just make your air travel in the name that matches your DL?

Let's just say you don't have a Passport the TSA can't force you to pay the fee to get one. Would a Student Body Card work? Or a Gym Club Membership card work?

My dad flies (domestically) without ANY ID. He just goes with some extra time.

I have NOT been allowed through security without showing that I have a passport. I'm going to assume that they are helping me out; I am grateful for that help. If I've forgotten my passport and I have gotten there the full 3 hours ahead of time, I personally still have time to race home and grab it. If I get all the way to the gate, though, I'm out of luck.

DHS gave the states 5 years to comply. Only 4 have regular licenses that do not. DHS has already told the states YEARS ago they would start enforcing this on 1/1/16. Seems like the 4 states made a choice not to comply.

Even in the article it says basically the semi-opposite of this. They haven't given a deadline of enforcement; they've given the deadline of when it COULD be enforced.

My dad flies (domestically) without ANY ID. He just goes with some extra time.

And the point of that is what, exactly? He just wants to be a rebel? To prove the point that you CAN do it if you're willing to take extra time to go through a Q&A with security? To prove that "no one is gonna tell ME what to do, by gosh!" I mean, seriously... he intentionally removes even his DL or state ID card from his wallet, to intentionally fly with no ID? Why would someone do something that they KNOW is going to require arriving extra early, when it can be easily avoided? Sounds like a classic example of cutting off your nose to spite your face. :rolleyes:

Edited by waterbug123

And the point of that is what, exactly? He just wants to be a rebel? To prove the point that you CAN do it if you're willing to take extra time to go through a Q&A with security? To prove that "no one is gonna tell ME what to do, by gosh!" I mean, seriously... he intentionally removes even his DL or state ID card from his wallet, to intentionally fly with no ID? Why would someone do something that they KNOW is going to require arriving extra early, when it can be easily avoided? Sounds like a classic example of cutting off your nose to spite your face. :rolleyes:

I had one of the "I'm going to do it my way and don't give a darn what the rules are" folks in front of me at MIA a couple years ago. After holding up the line (morning rush hour) and getting pretty much everybody in line behind him mad he was taken aside for "extra screening" by security. He kept running his mouth and soon some of Miami's finest showed up and had a "chat" with him. He missed his flight (he was departing form the gate next to mine) and threw another hissy fit with the GA's. There were a few of us laughing at him. (including a couple FA's and the GA's at our gate when they heard what happened). If he had just shut his mouth he would have made his flight with plenty of time to spare.