Licenses from NY, MN, NH, LA won't work in airports

blizzardboy

FWIW, the CT DMV thinks this requirement won't come into play until 2017. With a 6 year renewal cycle, they began offering "Real ID" licenses in 2011 and plan on finishing up by the end of 2016. These are not Enhanced Driver's Licenses good for travel within North America, but do meet the minimum requirements for ID necessary to enter federal facilities and to permit air travel. I was allowed to wear my glasses when obtaining one.

I had to take off my glasses for this years DL renewal pic so the pics in state database provide a better base-line for facial recognition process. Other DL security measures have also been implemented over the last few years. The four states mentioned haven't reached acceptable level of compliance for TSA purposes for whatever reason.

I have never had to take off my glasses to renew my driver's license.

Neither has my husband.

FWIW, the CT DMV thinks this requirement won't come into play until 2017. With a 6 year renewal cycle, they began offering "Real ID" licenses in 2011 and plan on finishing up by the end of 2016. These are not Enhanced Driver's Licenses good for travel within North America, but do meet the minimum requirements for ID necessary to enter federal facilities and to permit air travel. I was allowed to wear my glasses when obtaining one.

PA - I got the new enhanced driver's license in August.

Interesting as TSA also does not accept the US passport card issued by the State Dept with the same requirements for application as a passport complete with photo ID to board a flight. Let's go for bar code tattoos!

Passport cards are acceptable identification for domestic air travel.

When I renewed my MA DL in December they made me take off my glasses. When the woman at AAA said "look toward the camera" I came close to saying "What camera?" Yes, I could see it but it sure was blurry.

That being said, I've been flying domestically for years with my passport. Airline tickets are issued in my full first and middle names and the passport is the only document that matches the ticket.

I have used my global entry card for domestic travel Id. Until recently my drivers license only had my initials for my first and middle names and not my full name because my last name is hyphenated and there were too many letters for my full name. Thankfully the new license format has enough room for my full name, so I can use my DL for id for domestic travel.

PA - I got the new enhanced driver's license in August.

You didn't get an "enhanced drivers license", which is a special license that is only issued by five states (PA is not one of them) and four Canadian provinces. The enhanced drivers license is similar to a passport card in that it is valid for certain types of international travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean but not international flights.

What you undoubtedly received was a REAL ID-compliant drivers license, which is not valid for any international travel.

I think I'll be avoiding NY airports for a while. A lot of people are going to be needing passports and soon. I'm surprised that this has not been more widely reported.

It hasn't been more widely reported because it isn't true. As of today the implementation date for REAL ID licenses hasn't been finalized, so anyone who claims that they will be required on Jan. 1 is wrong, at least as of today.

This isn't the first time premature implementation date reports have been circulated by incompetent media outlets. The REAL ID effective date has been postponed several times and each time some media outlets jumped the gun and reported an implementation date that was actually postponed.

Of course DHS could issue an announcement tomorrow for a Jan. 1 effective date, but unless and until they announce a date, Jan. 1 is just the potentially earliest date the requirement could be put in place, not a set-in-stone date.

Edited by njhorseman

The following piece was in today's USA Today regarding TSA not accepting 4 states' DLs as airport ID as of Jan 01, 2016:

http://roadwarriorvoices.com/2015/09/13/drivers-licenses-from-these-states-soon-wont-suffice-as-valid-ids-for-domestic-flights/

Minnesota and New York Enhanced Drivers Licenses will still be valid. We have NY EDLs.

Let's just say you don't have a Passport the TSA can't force you to pay the fee to get one. Would a Student Body Card work? Or a Gym Club Membership card work?

A Drivers License/State ID should be able to show that you are permanent legal residents by the DL/ID# when scanned the TSA should be able to see your status.

A green light means you are OK and a red light means there is a problem. There could be software that can be updated. If there is a warrant a red light appears with three buzzes (sort of like TSA Pre Check) and if everything is OK A Green Light with the Windows Tada sound) to indicate you are good to go.

Its not that hard to implement this system. Perhaps registering thumbprints and being required to place your thumb on a scanner along with the scan of the ID.

For those not permanent residents you would then be required to have a Temporary Resident Card that shows on the Drivers License and be required to carry it at all times. Failure to do so would be a misdemeanor.

We should punish the non-permanent residents by having them have a special Drivers License along with a second card that has all of their Visa status/criminal records/tax evasion/ overstay of Visa etc.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by travelplus

....Its not that hard to implement this system. Perhaps registering thumbprints and being required to place your thumb on a scanner along with the scan of the ID....What are your thoughts?

No its not hard, but expensive to implement. Gov't entities tend to be dysfunctional when it comes to implementing tech. On the Left Coast here, the DMV spent about a decade and $100s of millions "upgrading" the d license and vehicle registration systems. I believe they're now talking about buying out the current vendor and scrapping the whole upgrade and try to recoup some $ by suing the previous vendor.

Secondly, if determined legal, it maybe politically impossible as you get into all sorts of "rights" issues with certain organizations.

Edited by Philob

As a NYers it was so not a surprise to me when the story made the news last week. This is the state that got no fault divorce 20 YEARS after the rest of the country and still automatically charges a 16 year-old as an adult.

I actually looked into upgrading my non compliant license to an EDL, to do so I needed way too many documents. We're talking my current passport, tax return, and proof of residency.

The plan for after the next cruise is getting a passport card for when I travel domestically. All that needs is a photo, a check, and my currently valid passport book. And yeah, for the January vacation I'm taking the train down to Baltimore and flying from there. So not dealing with the TSA disaster lines.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Interesting as TSA also does not accept the US passport card issued by the State Dept with the same requirements for application as a passport complete with photo ID to board a flight. Let's go for bar code tattoos!

Actually, they do, but on occasion you find a TSA agent that has never seen one and doesn't know what it is. Then, you have to ask them to get their supervisor and hope they know what the passport card looks like.

The last DL my DH got they made him remove his glasses. He was shocked as he never was without his tri-focals and he looked very different without his glasses. The rule used to be if you needed the glasses to pass the eye exam, your photo had to have you wearing them.

Maybe it has something to do with the 'photo recognition' technology? Maybe the glasses impede getting an image?

Yes, it is because of the photo recognition. When I had to take my glasses off this year for the first time that is what the clerk explained to me.

The photo technology software might recognize me, bit none of my friends would. :D

I traveled to Boston with a family member, and her DL was missing when we were going through security for the flight home. She had visited a bank and they forgot to return her DL. TSA was actually very helpful, a supervisor took her aside and ended up asking if she had *anything* with her name and photo on it. After a few minutes of questions and looking on their computer, her Costco card was acceptable!

Incorrect. I use either my passport card or GE card all the time. I never use my DL anymore and have NEVER had any issue at an airport. Whether it is some podunk little airpot or a big international one like EWR or IAH.

I guess I am out of the loop as I have NO IDEA what a EDL or "Real ID" is. (Nor do I really care) . I have a CDL with a hazmat endorsement (which requires fingerprinting and a background check.) along with a TWIC card (again finger printing and background check). Add those to my Global entry and my passport and passport card......I guess I'll just file this under "things that do not require me to get worked up over." :p

Incorrect. I use either my passport card or GE card all the time. I never use my DL anymore and have NEVER had any issue at an airport. Whether it is some podunk little airpot or a big international one like EWR or IAH.

Your Passport card has limitations compared to the Passport book. Check this link:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card/Difference-Between-Passport-Book-and-Card.html

Your Passport card has limitations compared to the Passport book. Check this link:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card/Difference-Between-Passport-Book-and-Card.html

Bottom line: Passport card is fine as a check-in/TSA ID for boarding a domestic flight. An international flight requires a passport book.

Bottom line: Passport card is fine as a check-in/TSA ID for boarding a domestic flight. An international flight requires a passport book.

You will still be able to use your GE card as your ID for the TSA clowns to check for domestic flights. I prefer to use my GE card, anyway - no PII on it for felonious TSA eyes to see ;)

As the original posts were about DLs for TSA checkpoints, did not matter if domestic or international. TSA itself does not say anything different for domestic/international for ID when going through the TSA checkpoint:

"Identification

Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)

U.S. passport

U.S. passport card

DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)

U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)

Permanent resident card

Border crossing card

DHS-designated enhanced driver's license

Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)

Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID

HSPD-12 PIV card

Foreign government-issued passport

Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card

Transportation worker identification credential"

The passport issue is between you and your air carrier - they are the ones responsible for verifying that you have the correct documentation for the country you are flying to.

I'm well aware of what the card can/can not be used for. I use it for id when gong through TSA security. Though like Slidergirl I use my GE card most of the time.

And that is all I use it for. I usually leave my DL in my car at the airport anyway. that way there is no chance I lose it while away. Either international or domestic (unless not the rare occasion I am renting a car). So it is either passport card or GE card for my id when traveling.

I'm well aware of what the card can/can not be used for. I use it for id when gong through TSA security. Though like Slidergirl I use my GE card most of the time.

You obviously have it all figured out. However, there are others out there reading your pearls of wisdom who might think your passport card can get you back into the country flying through a "big international one like EWR or IAH." I offered the link to avoid a future problem for a CC member by giving them a reference source, a foot note if you will.