Licenses from NY, MN, NH, LA won't work in airports

blizzardboy

Hope that expands to all states.

Why? This only affects domestic flights. There is no real reason to require a passport for a domestic flight. Passports are for proving you are a citizen and/or have a right to enter the country without visas or other documentation. They are for proving nationality and citizenship.

A flight from Louisiana to California has no need for anyone on it to prove they are citizens of the US, as the flight never leaves the US, so there is no issue with entering without proper visa. And passports are not needed for people who travel between states in personal cars or buses or trains. Requiring them for flights between states is just ridiculous.

I had to take off my glasses for this years DL renewal pic so the pics in state database provide a better base-line for facial recognition process. Other DL security measures have also been implemented over the last few years. The four states mentioned haven't reached acceptable level of compliance for TSA purposes for whatever reason.

Edited by blizzardboy

There still seems to be some time for the 4 states to move towards compliance. New York on the list surprises me though.

Every country has different requirements for identification within the country. Some require national identity cards. Our rejection of this option, which is consistent with our emphasis on state's rights, means we are reliant on state by state drivers licenses, What it does is create a hardship for those who don't have a driver's license. For example I did not have one until I was 45. I didn't have a passport until I was 20, but fortunately I had the passport by the time air travel identity checking became commonplace.

This makes no sense to me as NY is one of the 4 states that issue an Enhanced Drivers License (EDL). http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/enhanced_dl_fs.pdf
AH I found it here http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief " +Federal officials may continue to accept Enhanced Driver’s Licenses from these states." Evidently not NY DL's are EDL's.

AH I found it here http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief " +Federal officials may continue to accept Enhanced Driver’s Licenses from these states." Evidently not NY DL's are EDL's.

This is true. EDLs are available in NYS at an additional fee. Proof of US citizenship is required to obtain an EDL, but not for a regular DL.

Why would anyone want to take away what has been considered, and according to TSA still IS considered, a valid form of ID?

I think Post # 5 above answers this question very well. Most of us want better airport/flight security.

Edited by avian777

I had to take off my glasses for this years DL renewal pic so the pics in state database provide a better base-line for facial recognition process. Other DL security measures have also been implemented over the last few years. The four states mentioned haven't reached acceptable level of compliance for TSA purposes for whatever reason.

DH just renewed his license today (two hours at Div of Motor Vehicles!!!), and they had him remove his glasses for his photo. I don't think they've done that before.

Because so many flights are being hijacked???

Airport security is a joke - and a very expensive one, at that.

And just how many planes have been hijacked since the enhanced procedures went into effect? If I can count well- zero.

Are they perfect? Of course not. Humans are involved- that makes perfection very difficult to obtain.

Why don't you try putting a handgun in your carry-on and see what a joke the security it is? ;)

TSA 95% failure rate proves that airport security is a joke. Yes, that is a 95% failure rate, not a 95% success rate. http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielreed/2015/06/08/the-tsas-95-failure-rate-be-carefull-what-you-ask-for-when-demanding-that-congress-do-something/

Why don't you try putting a handgun in your carry-on and see what a joke the security it is? ;)

And just how many planes have been hijacked since the enhanced procedures went into effect? If I can count well- zero.

Are they perfect? Of course not. Humans are involved- that makes perfection very difficult to obtain.

Great posts - I agree!!! But don't hold your breath waiting on agreement from certain CCers.

The last DL my DH got they made him remove his glasses. He was shocked as he never was without his tri-focals and he looked very different without his glasses. The rule used to be if you needed the glasses to pass the eye exam, your photo had to have you wearing them.

Maybe it has something to do with the 'photo recognition' technology? Maybe the glasses impede getting an image?

The last DL my DH got they made him remove his glasses. He was shocked as he never was without his tri-focals and he looked very different without his glasses. The rule used to be if you needed the glasses to pass the eye exam, your photo had to have you wearing them.

Maybe it has something to do with the 'photo recognition' technology? Maybe the glasses impede getting an image?

I think it probably does have to do with recognition technology. Maybe the glasses produce glare that we don't see in a good photo, but the computer does? The thing is, DH wears his glasses all the time, and would be going through security with them on. Will glasses be yet another thing people have to take off????

The following piece was in today's USA Today regarding TSA not accepting 4 states' DLs as airport ID as of Jan 01, 2016:

http://roadwarriorvoices.com/2015/09/13/drivers-licenses-from-these-states-soon-wont-suffice-as-valid-ids-for-domestic-flights/

DHS has not announced a Jan. 1, 2016 enforcement date for the REAL ID licenses. That is the earliest date possible date, not a date set in stone. In fact they have postponed implementation several times and could easily do so again.

The first sentence of the last paragraph says: "For now, it’s unclear exactly when this will happen or how people will be alerted."

I was issued my real ID DL earlier this year.

I suspect it will be some time before we see nationwide enforcement of the real ID requirement.

Much like the EMV credit cards, they are supposed to be issued by October 1. I expect some time before it becomes accepted by all merchants.