what to do???

CaribbeanBound1987

I'm in key west from 7-1 and am trying to figure put the best thing to do. We've done the excursion thing in key west before so we thought maybe we could shop a little in the morning. Then go to the beach. So is there any beaches near port or within walking distance? Or is there any hotels that let you use there pool and beach for a price?

Key West isn't really a "beach" destination....the beaches are pretty crappy....save beaching it for a different port!

Shopping and eating and drinking are all walkable...Heck...the entire island is only about 4+ miles long!!

I doubt the shops are open at 7am...so have a leisurely breakfast, then head into town. Smathers beach is public, if you want a beach for a bit.

If you want to go to a beach in KW, I recommend changing the order of your plan and going to Ft. Zachary Taylor first. It's small, in a park (so you have to pay to get in, $2-2.50/pp if you walk), but very pretty, with picnic tables and pine trees behind the beach, you can watch boats coming and going from the harbor..... If you read reviews, people have very mixed views of it, but I'm someone who really likes it. Main issue is that sand is small rocky coral, not fine sand, so it's hard to walk to the water. If you go early, it will probably be empty and peaceful. It's roughly a 1/2 hour walk from the dock if you walk through Truman Annex. Then, you can loop back by going via Petronia, which has some nice shops, to Duval.

There is no beach right near the dock. There is a very small beach area at the end of Simonton Street.

The stores won't open until 9 or 10.

If you want to hang out at a pool, you can go to Dante's restaurant. Food is adequate, but pool is very large and nice. I don't think it's open for breakfast, so you would need to check when it opens.

You can wander casually all the way up Duval doing a little shopping with the intention of ending up at the Southernmost Beach Café on the left at the end ---> http://www.southernmostbeachcafe.com/

The beach there is a public beach so you could rent chairs, but I'd sit at the café and between drinks wander out onto the beach and maybe wade into the water a little. Walk back down on Whitehead to see a few more things - Hemingway House, Lighthouse, Audubon house, etc.

Pjk

A lot of people like "Blue Heaven" restaurant for Breakfast. You could do that, then the shops would be open. After shopping you could check out Ft. Zachary Taylor if you desire a little beach time! Smathers is public, but would require a taxi ride.

on this same thread, reading that the ship will dock on military property and we will be bussed to the instillation gate? where is that cross street wise?

thinking the wife and I may just wonder around south but trying to find the starting point.

Michael

on this same thread, reading that the ship will dock on military property and we will be bussed to the instillation gate? where is that cross street wise?

thinking the wife and I may just wonder around south but trying to find the starting point.

Michael[/quote

You are not really bused per se. You will be taken to town in open air conch trains or in trolleys at no extra cost. You will be taken to a very convenient area right outside the Shipwreck Historeum and it is an easy walk from there to Duval and other Key West attractions. You are not dropped right outside the Navy property because that is quite far to walk to downtown attractions unless you are fit.

You will take the trolleys or conch trains from the same place back to the ship, so get some landmarks in mind to remember your way back there, but it isn't hard. Just look for the tall tower at the Shipwreck Historeum.

I hope you like Key West as much as I do.

Michael

You'll be dropped off near the intersection of Whitehead and Front Streets. From there, it's an easy walk down either Duval or Whitehead Streets.