Rangiroa

desert2C

We were on the PG last year and went to Rangiroa. Its a place for diving and snorkelling. We dont do either so we took a glass bottom boat to see the aquarium. It was pretty good and teeming with aquatic life. We also walked off the dock and enjoyed the calm waters in the lagoon. You will need to wear water shoes and its a bit rocky.

It's a beautiful lagoon. We just sat in the clear aquamarine warm water. You can easily walk to the other side of the island and see how the people live. Try a chilled coconut for a refreshing drink . There was a private home near the tender jetty that doubled up as a drink station when ships were in port.

Enjoy paradise.

Cheers,

Anna

We actually stayed on Rangiroa for a week prior to the cruise and loved every minute of it. We took a bike ride, several long walks and enoyed lots of water sports. "Shooting the Gap" was fabulous and quite the adventure. We saw just about everything, included being part of a huge manta ray school. Sharks, dolphins, turtles all were well represented.

Some folks complain that there isn't much to do here and that's true - you are limited in your scope, but it's a fabulous place to wind down and chat with the locals, have some refreshing adult beverages and remember what the tropics are all about.

• 2 weeks later...

Meherio - We are on the PG later this month. The pictures showing the pink sand beach are awesome. How does one get there and what is it called?

Thanks. Linda :-)

I would also like information on snorkeling in Rangiroa. We will be there in November on the Pacific Princess. If we don't find a tour that day, I will be perfectly alright sipping on a Hinano and sitting by the beautiful water of the Pacific.

TheDee - Small world - I grew up in Hamilton and lived in Middleton for many years; we now live in the great state of Arizona. We will be back in November for a class reunion. Can't wait to eat some fried clams and lobster. Yum.

Vette

Vette - It's always good to hear from another North Shore native. Arizona is a far cry from New England. I understand that you've had a very hot summer. We have had no summer!!

Cloudy, rainy, cool, ( 50's and 60's). Enjoy your cruise and your reunion in November. We've been on the Tahitian Princess twice, once to FP and the Cook Islands and the other from Papeete to Honolulu. We had a great time on both. We're on the PG at the end of this month. Can't wait to go back.

Linda :-)

Actually, June was very cool. It didn't start heating up until a couple of weeks ago. Not bad for an Arizona summer. A friend of mine just returned from a vacation up there and it rained practically every day she was there. I felt really bad for her. But she did enjoy the food.

We have also cruised on the TP in 2007 and I loved every minute of it. I just couldn't wait to go back and now I have my chance to return to the beautiful islands. Yay! You enjoy the PG and let us all know how it was on your return - especially what you did on Rangiroa

Ia orana

time permitting

I would suggest a visit of the pinks sand or the blue lagoon area, out of this world..

photos at :

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=75234&id=1280668565

Meherio

My husband & I will be there in a few weeks for 2 days courtesy of the Paul Gauguin. I've read that the Pink Sand Beach is quite distance from where the tenders pull in. Do you have any info as to how to get to this beach? Info would be appreciated. By the way, I enjoyed your photos.

I would also like information on snorkeling in Rangiroa.

TheDee - Small world - I grew up in Hamilton and lived in Middleton for many years; we now live in the great state of Arizona. We will be back in November for a class reunion. Can't wait to eat some fried clams and lobster. Yum.

Vette

This is quite amusing. I'll be on the same cruise as "The Dee" - we've communicated. I also grew up in Mass. (Medford), and I currently live in Arizona (Phoenix). How's that for coincidences?

See, it is a small world! lol. You and TheDee make sure you let me know any fun stuff you find on the islands (especially Rangiroa) and write a review when you come back. I wish I was going with you - I still have 4 long months to wait.

Vette

Ia orana

Tough question:

the pink sands are called... pink sands ( or in french : Les Sables rose)

This is a 3 hour "schlep: by boat round trip. Iwould contact the kia Ora Hotel before hand to set up that excursion or get the details for the timing of such a visit. truly worth it!

Meherio

• 2 weeks later...

We were there a few years ago and the snorkelling was excellent. We didn't do an excursion and I don't think one is reallt necessary.

At the dock, turn left and walk along the trail near the beach for about a 150 meters (yards) or so .. pick a spot on the shore to drop your stuff ... and just wade in. We have our own snorkel equipment and there was plenty to see. Rays and lots of different types of fish. We colud have stayed there all day but the heat finally got too us.

Further on up the beach is a hotel that cruise passengers are not allowed. We were well away from there.

Hope this helps.

Archived