17OCT Sapphire Mexican Riviera cruise turned around!!!

basor

Captain just announced over the ship's loud speakers, that due to the hurricane our Mexican Riviera cruise has been canceled:mad: He has turned the ship around and we are heading back up the baja to California. Our "new exciting" ports of call will be Ensenada, Catalina Island, San Diego and San Fransisco!!

Know you are celebrating your 40th and are disappointed in the change in course, but better safe than at risk. Last time I looked the Mexico storm was a Force 5, winds above 150 MPH. Enjoy your new ports and the time together.

We are just happy to be cruising so no problem with us, hut there could be a "clothes problem" - not sure our PVR shorts, sandals and tank tops will work in SFO:) I have not been out and about to hear other cruiser's feelings - I am sure that there will be some that will be unhappy.

We are getting ready for our vow renewal and UBD tonight so nothing is going to make us unhappy!!!!

Captain just announced over the ship's loud speakers, that due to the hurricane our Mexican Riviera cruise has been canceled:mad: He has turned the ship around and we are heading back up the baja to California. Our "new exciting" ports of call will be Ensenada, Catalina Island, San Diego and San Francisco!!

Sorry about that ;)! We were on the Sapphire when the swine flu broke and had our Mexican Riviera itinerary changed. Ensenada will probably be just a short stop and no-one will be let off, but you never know. Ever been there? Might be worth a look, no matter how short. Catalina Island is a hoot, rent a golf cart and drive around the island, you WILL have a good time. San Diego has great sights and is a wonderful walk along the ocean. San Francisco, you get to sail under the Golden Gate plus enjoy the water front and if time permits, the city. You actually are very lucky. Enjoy your cruise.

See you on the water,

Rex

Since we live in Oregon, have visited all of our "new" ports many times....just in SFO and San Diego 3 weeks ago but always up for new adventures.

Actually now have a bigger problem - they just brought our clothes that we sent out yesterday to be pressed and we received a black tux 5 times bigger and 3 inches shorter than DH.... vow renewal in 1 hour and 45 minutes!!!:(

We were also on the Mexican Riviera cruise last May that was re-routed to San Diego, San Francisco and Santa Barbara due to the swine flu outbreak. We all received 50% of our money back as future cruise credit. Perhaps they will do the same for you if you are lucky! Hope you still enjoy your cruise and congratulations on your anniversary and vow renewal!:)

Captain just announced over the ship's loud speakers, that due to the hurricane our Mexican Riviera cruise has been canceled:mad: He has turned the ship around and we are heading back up the baja to California. Our "new exciting" ports of call will be Ensenada, Catalina Island, San Diego and San Fransisco!!

I am so sorry to hear this because I know exactly how you feel. I was on the Mariner OTS to Mexico this past April and because of the media hysteria about the swine flu, they turned us around and we just went to San Francisco.

But be thankful that you are on Princess because they and Carnival gave their passengers a 50% FCC to make up for the itinerary change. Royal Caribbean gave us nothing but "I hope that you will cruise with us again". I hope that Princess steps up to the plate again. :)

Since we live in Oregon, have visited all of our "new" ports many times....just in SFO and San Diego 3 weeks ago but always up for new adventures.

Actually now have a bigger problem - they just brought our clothes that we sent out yesterday to be pressed and we received a black tux 5 times bigger and 3 inches shorter than DH.... vow renewal in 1 hour and 45 minutes!!!:(

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?:eek:

Seriously, sorry things are not quite going as planned. I want you to sit down, close your eyes, and out loud say: "We are going to have a wonderful vacation." Make it come true. You know you can.

Congratulations on your anniversary.

I'm sure you'll still have a great cruise. Arriving in a city by ship is very different than any other transport, everything has a different aspect. The weather isn't too cold yet hear in San Francisco but we all know that can change at any time.

Anthony

We are not the kind of people who get stressed over things you can not control - poured ourselves another glass of wine and laughed....

:D

That's the way to live a happy life! Now, here's wishing that the whiners stay well out of earshot! Happy anniversary!!!

We are not the kind of people who get stressed over things you can not control - poured ourselves another glass of wine and laughed....

Good idea! Congratulations on your anniversary, have a great evening and a great cruise, think of it as a mystery cruise!!! what will happen next?

Hi Guys

I’m sure you have heard of the hurricane headed for Mexico. Right now it’s a category 5, HUGE!! So we are all most at Cabo but the Captain has informed us that we are turning around and heading back the other way. Now we will be stopping at Ensenada, Catalina Island and San Diego, and San Francisco. Don’t know what order that we will visit these areas. Probably the way I put it in. But wanted to let you know that we are safe. We are a little disappointed but you know us, we love the cruising experience so it’s not that big of deal. Don’t know yet how this will affect next week, I guess it depends on if the hurricane hits and what damage it causes. Actually to me it’s kind of fun knowing we will be going to different places. However I hope it’s not too cold at these places as I didn’t come prepared for cool weather. We will make due. The cruise line just wants to keep everyone safe. So now we are off on a new adventure.

PS Update, heading to San Fran will be there tues 7:00 AM come on down and say Hi!!!!!!, then Catalina, San Diego, Ensenada Baja Mexico then LA… OHHH just saw a school of dolphins jumping out of the water.

Rob & Marty

We are just happy to be cruising so no problem with us, hut there could be a "clothes problem" - not sure our PVR shorts, sandals and tank tops will work in SFO:) I have not been out and about to hear other cruiser's feelings - I am sure that there will be some that will be unhappy.

We are getting ready for our vow renewal and UBD tonight so nothing is going to make us unhappy!!!!

Not to worry, Princess will be selling sweat shirts or something.

We, also, were on the May "California Riviera" cruise. Even though we had been to all the 'port' cities many times, we still enjoyed entering them from a different perspective. Had a great time going to Alcatraz on the ferry and taking a 'rickshaw' ride around the port in San Diego. "Life may not be what we hoped for, but ----".

Now that is the attitude to take. We we good friends on board with you and we just heard about the change in itiniery and they feel the same way as you do. No biggie and adjusting quite nicely.

Marilyn

sorry Mexico isn't working out but

That hurricane looks tremendously

Frightning

In sf u can buy cheap sweatshirts

At fishermans wharf for 15 bucks

Or so

Run to the gift shop on the ship

And buy one as another option

Be glad the Captain is sensible---hurricane Rick looks really dangerous!! San Francisco does have a different climate, for sure...but if it helps it's a nice place to celebrate an anniversary, very romantic.

Glad you both have each other and a great attitude, which ensures you will have a great trip! ;)

P.S. Have a whole bottle of wine, what the heck!!! A few more glasses and hubby might think the tux fits lol.

Congratulations on the vow ceremony and thanks for keeping us posted.

Happy Anniversary BASOR! Have champagne and celebrate, enjoy dinner a little longer. Happened to us in April, loved Catalina, great shopping found some wonderful botiques and walked alot. We stayed on the ship in San Diego and had the lotus pool all to ourselves and the spa benches. Our weather except for San Diego was like Alaska, hopefully you will have better. Book another cruise and celebrate again that is what we are doing. Cheers!

We were also on the Mexican Riviera cruise last May that was re-routed to San Diego, San Francisco and Santa Barbara due to the swine flu outbreak. We all received 50% of our money back as future cruise credit. Perhaps they will do the same for you if you are lucky! Hope you still enjoy your cruise and congratulations on your anniversary and vow renewal!:)

I am so sorry to hear this because I know exactly how you feel. I was on the Mariner OTS to Mexico this past April and because of the media hysteria about the swine flu' date=' they turned us around and we just went to San Francisco. [/color']

But be thankful that you are on Princess because they and Carnival gave their passengers a 50% FCC to make up for the itinerary change. Royal Caribbean gave us nothing but "I hope that you will cruise with us again". I hope that Princess steps up to the plate again. :)

Somehow I don't believe that Princess will be offering any FCC's for this itinerary deviation nor do I think they should. This is a simple weather-related safety issue. The swine flu hysteria earlier this year was just that... hysteria. I know from reading this board that at least half those passengers affected then would have had no problem continuing the MR cruise. I don't think anyone onboard now would want to sail into a Category 5 hurricane.. :rolleyes:

Archived