Disappointed in Ecstasy Itinerary Changes

kwbound

I received an email at 2:30 this morning saying: "Due to operational considerations, we will change the sequence of the ports of call on the Saturday, 5 Day Western Caribbean cruises beginning on January 23, 2010 through April 30, 2011."

We are booked on a Sat-Thur cruise. The revised itinerary is now basically the same as the 5-day Mon-Sat cruises.

Our original schedule was:

Mon - Cozumel 9am-5pm

Tue - Progreso - 10am-6pm

The revised shedule is now:

Mon - Progreso - 7am-3pm

Tue - Cozumel - 8am-4pm

I realize that we are going to the same ports and will be in each port the same amount of time. But one reason we chose this sailing is that we prefer to arrive in a port between 9a-10am. That gives us time to get up and have breakfast on the ship and insures that shops/attractions are open when we get off this ship. We are the types that like to get off the ship asap and spend as much time in port as possible. We've been in several ports at 7am and basically you walk around looking at places to come back to when they are open. So really you do have less time to experience the port because for the first hour or two will be dead time. PLUS we are traveling with 8 young people ages 15-21. So you can imagine how thrilled they are going to be with getting up earlier.

Right now Carnival's website is still showing the original itinerary. I wonder if they are going to switch the Mon-Sat cruise itinerary to what the Sat-Thu itinerary was, and if so if they would let us switch sailings. Probably not since we are booked at ES rates.

Oh well, we will go and have a good time regardless. I'm just a little disappointed. I think I'm getting a little disillusioned with cruising in general. We have two scheduled for this year, but we may go back to land based vacations for a while in 2011.

(Note: To those of you who will be tempted to reply telling me that it's in the contract, they can switch itineraries at will, I agreed to the contract, blah, blah, blah, blah, etc. etc. (imagine Charlie Brown's teacher's voice)....Please save the wear and tear on your fingers and keyboards. I know all of that. I accept it. I'm not calling Carnival asking for anything. I'm just a little disappointed and this is a little vent. It's allowed.)

Happy cruising!

I understand you dissapointment/feelings, especially with the kids. We are lucky in that we are an "odd" family. We have 3 kids, but all are actively involved in high level competitive soccer, so between school, church on Sundays, and soccer season which lasts 9-10 monts of the year with frequent 7-8am games (which means being there between 6-7, and often a 30-90 minute drive before that), they are pretty much conditioned to getting up early. They will sleep in when they can, and certainly aren't morning people ... but it's not that tough for them to wake up, being so used to it.

Anyways, I digress ... I'm sure you guys will still have an awesome time. Sorry for the trouble, but that is part of cruising unfortunately, is needing to be adaptable and knowing that nothing other than the ship itself is set in stone.

After reading your note, I had to smile. :D

As a human being, you are allowed to be disappointed. ,,,,,,,,,,OK, it's over.

Now, go get ready to have a wonderful time. Also, sit back and enjoy those times listening to the teens grumble about having to wake up so early. In only a couple of years, they'll be gone making their own way into the world.

I miss mine

Donna - everything you said is fine, except Charlie Brown's teacher sounds like "Wahn wahn wahn", not blah blah blah. :D

I get you about the early to port times. "Oh, this looks cool, we'll have to come back. Oh, and this, too." We just stay on the ship later. We normally don't do excursions - we always go to lunch at Pancho's Backyard in Cozumel - killer Margaritas!

I knew there would be some understanding people on CC.

Todd - I understand about being use to early mornings. Our son played select baseball from age 7 through high school, and we had tournaments almost year round. However, a few years in college and that tendency to get up early has completely disappeared!

KJPG - You are right about Charlie Brown's teacher's voice. That's exactly what I hear everytime I read some posts, whose authors will go un-named.:rolleyes:

klfrodo - We've been to the original Pancho's Backyard, but not the new one at the pier. I agree about the margaritas.

I am not one to set around and fret over things I can't change. It is what it is, so we just have to make the best of it. We are planning on going to Playa Uvas in Cozumel and according to their website, they open at 8am, so we will be able to head over there as soon as we get off the ship. Our plan was to go to Playa Uvas for some snorkeling/lunch and then head into town for some shopping before winding up at Senor Frogs at the pier and having a drink or two before getting on the ship. Does anyone have an opinion on that Senior Frogs?

In Progreso, our plan was to just take the double decker bus tour around town and spend the rest of the day at the beach. Does anyone know what time the double deckers start running?

One good thing about this itinerary change is that Cozumel is our favorite port, and it's the one we like to visit last. So that will be the case now. Hopefully this will be our glitch and the rest of the trip will be smooth sailing!

I know you are disappointed but I think you will find it will turn out fine.

I have been to both ports close to the same time. On the Holiday and Fantasy, we always docked at 7a.m. - 4 p.m. in Progresso and 9 a.m.to 5 p.m. in Cozumel. In Progresso, you might want to book an excusion to one of the ruins. There really isn't a whole lot to do in Progresso. In November, we ate in the dining room with a family with a 16 year old and a 12 year old who went to Chichen Itza. I believe they got on the bus for Chichen pretty close to the time we docked. It takes a while to reach any of the ruins and by the time you get there everything is up and running. By the way, they had a great time.

In Cozumel most of the beach clubs open by 9 a.m. I believe I also read in a guide book that Chakanaab opens at 7 a.m.

Also you could get off the ship and eat breakfast at a local place while waiting for the shops to open.

Hope you have a great time.

Im kinda glad Im on Ecstasy later this month, as Id be more concerned this cold snap is affecting my Mexican ports and sailaway than the switched ports.

I already had a colder than ever cruise last month on Triumph, Im hoping for good weather and a tad warmer with Ecstasy like last couple of Januarys.

Im kinda glad Im on Ecstasy later this month, as Id be more concerned this cold snap is affecting my Mexican ports and sailaway than the switched ports.

I already had a colder than ever cruise last month on Triumph, Im hoping for good weather and a tad warmer with Ecstasy like last couple of Januarys.

FireFly - I'm hoping it warms up for you too. Our frist cruise ever was the first week in Feb 2005 on the Ecstasy. It was cold in Galveston when we left. In all of our sail-away pictures we are all wearing coats. But by mid-day the next day their were lots of people out at the pool. In Cozumel it was warm enough for the kids to play in the surf, not me though...but I'm a wimp like that. However, I'm not sure I remember having a winter with as many cold days as we've had this year. I'm on the north side of Houston and it has been below freezing here since yesterday afternoon, with windchills in the teens! That's what we call crazy-talk!

BTW - Just want to tell you that I appreciate all the advice you hand out on the boards. I always enjoy your posts.

Have you ever been to Progreso before? There's not really much to do there. There's a market to shop at which I promise will be open when you arrive. They sell your general assortment of knickknacks, clothing, vanilla and jewelry.

I was there for the first time back in November and based on what I saw, it's not really a beach place. Yes they have beaches, but the water isn't clear because it's gulf, not ocean, so there's no sense in snorkeling. And with the constant approach from locals (adults and small children) combing the beach wanting to sell you something, I can't imagine it being relaxing.

We did the bus tour and it was worth the $2, but if we ever find ourselves in Progreso again we'll either stay on the ship or do the ruins, which is (depending on the site you choose) a good 1 to 2 hours away by taxi, therefore I would assume that stuff would also be open by the time you get there.

As for Cozumel, switch your order up - shop first, beach/lunch next, then wind up at Frog's (we did Carlos and Charlie's so I can't give you any info there.)

And if your children can't get up, tough. They can enjoy a stationary sea day while those who were on time are off having fun.

FireFly - I'm hoping it warms up for you too. Our frist cruise ever was the first week in Feb 2005 on the Ecstasy. It was cold in Galveston when we left. In all of our sail-away pictures we are all wearing coats. But by mid-day the next day their were lots of people out at the pool. In Cozumel it was warm enough for the kids to play in the surf, not me though...but I'm a wimp like that. However, I'm not sure I remember having a winter with as many cold days as we've had this year. I'm on the north side of Houston and it has been below freezing here since yesterday afternoon, with windchills in the teens! That's what we call crazy-talk!

BTW - Just want to tell you that I appreciate all the advice you hand out on the boards. I always enjoy your posts.

Why thank you so much. You made my day. I just want it to warm up by the next day. We have Quality Inn and Suites Beachfront, and Im hoping to walk along the ocean in my hoodie the morning before I go, but I know it might be too cold. I just have my fingers crossed for unusually warm weather this time.

It sure is cold here North of Dallas, was up to a balmy 16 when I last looked.

Why thank you so much. You made my day. I just want it to warm up by the next day. We have Quality Inn and Suites Beachfront, and Im hoping to walk along the ocean in my hoodie the morning before I go, but I know it might be too cold. I just have my fingers crossed for unusually warm weather this time.

It sure is cold here North of Dallas, was up to a balmy 16 when I last looked.

I think all of this cold weather is one reason I'm spending so much time on the CC boards....dreaming of warmer places!

Wow, I misread your original post and thought you were sailing in April 2011. I was pretty impressed but somewhat confused as to why you had your whole day in Cozumel planned out when the cruise isn't for over a year!! Figured you must be REALLY into planning!!! Haha. Makes more sense now that I know you're sailing THIS YEAR!!! Have a great cruise!

Wow, I misread your original post and thought you were sailing in April 2011. I was pretty impressed but somewhat confused as to why you had your whole day in Cozumel planned out when the cruise isn't for over a year!! Figured you must be REALLY into planning!!! Haha. Makes more sense now that I know you're sailing THIS YEAR!!! Have a great cruise!

LOL - Yes, we are sailing this year. But in the interest of full disclosure I will admit that I am kind of an OCD vacation planner...or maybe just an obsessed vacation planner...or a possessed planner?? If it's not an obsession, then it's at least a hobby. In truth I have a couple of 2011 vacation ideas kicking around already!

I think all of this cold weather is one reason I'm spending so much time on the CC boards....dreaming of warmer places!

I know when I have a cruise date drawing near Im here even more than usual (lol). We have the hotel for Jan 22nd, a Friday. Im doing a Saturday departure, same as OP. They had one good pack n go rate for earlier in Jan, but my date the price is going higher and higher. The cheapest inside is now $444 and OVs still sold out.

Well that will certainly make us reconcider going on the Ecstasy then...

I could have done Conquest for less per day. When you consider I can also add a next cruise credit and stock credit of $100 each to Conquest, the price difference was only $50 more to have booked Conquest ... but Iv done Conquest 4 times lately, so I wanted Ecstasy.

You will find better deals on Triumph too out of New Orleans, much cheaper than out of Galveston. Pays for the extra gas and hotel to drive.

I could have done Conquest for less per day. When you consider I can also add a next cruise credit and stock credit of $100 each to Conquest, the price difference was only $50 more to have booked Conquest ... but Iv done Conquest 4 times lately, so I wanted Ecstasy.

You will find better deals on Triumph too out of New Orleans, much cheaper than out of Galveston. Pays for the extra gas and hotel to drive.

How far of a drive is it from DFW to do the Triumph?

How far of a drive is it from DFW to do the Triumph?

google maps said it was only 2 more hours, but I think at least 3 more hours. For one thing we have to stop and eat and gas up and I can drive to Galveston straight thru.

Drury was so great, best hotel Iv ever stayed in, (ok I may be naive), but even folks who stayed in other Drurys were impressed. They have food starting soon and strong drinks at their free happy hour, free phone calls, free cruise parking, and some other stuff, cokes and coffee all day etc. The room was gorgeous with stunning 20 ft or higher windows and black marble with a huge LCD tv. We couldnt believe how nice the staff was and just enjoyed the hotel. I know there are other hotels, but Drury is the one a lot of CCers pick... now I know why. We did a B2B to get the most out of our free parking. You can also walk thru French qtr from the hotel, I did. If you have questions on either ship, just email me.

I would stay there if you can. You can walk to the port, but the roads are pretty rough. We took a taxi back and they charged me $14 for the 1 mile or less walk. I saw Triumph as cheap as $299 for the 7 day for TX residents and they had a great rate on balconys. Triumph is very like Conquest though. I also love the Ecstasy and the CD and the crew. Its my favorite ship.

I know when I have a cruise date drawing near Im here even more than usual (lol). We have the hotel for Jan 22nd, a Friday. Im doing a Saturday departure, same as OP. They had one good pack n go rate for earlier in Jan, but my date the price is going higher and higher. The cheapest inside is now $444 and OVs still sold out.

Not trying to hijack, but Fire, we are staying at the same place on Friday. How are planning on getting to the pier?

Not trying to hijack, but Fire, we are staying at the same place on Friday. How are planning on getting to the pier?

Im moving my car to EZCruise, since a taxi both ways would cost about the same amount. $30 online at EZCruise and I know their shuttles will get me on the road FAST.

I hope it warms up for you for the beachfront. Its supposed to maybe hit above freezing here finally by tomorrow.

Im moving my car to EZCruise, since a taxi both ways would cost about the same amount. $30 online at EZCruise and I know their shuttles will get me on the road FAST.

I hope it warms up for you for the beachfront. Its supposed to maybe hit above freezing here finally by tomorrow.

UGH! Brr! It's been cold up here too. I think we are going to Taxi from the hotel to the pier. We'll have a towncar picking us up at port when we return.

Have a safe drive!

I'm so glad I saw this. We are on this cruise in March and didn't get the email. I just looked and although our itinerary is changed online, our excursion is now booked on the wrong day and hasn't been changed. Guess I need to call tomorrow. Thanks so much for the information!

I see absolutely no reason to be disappointed. But the post proves that, even with the luxury of a cruise upon them, some folks are bound and determined to find fault and to become disappointed.

Why not turn it around and see things in a positive light? You will be happier?

I mean, what possible good was it to post a "disappointed" message? Do you want Carnival to change its mind. Maybe you think a plate of chocolate-dipped strawberries is in order to assuage your disappointment?

Or maybe it is just a way to pass the time before the cruise?

Archived