Earthquake near Santiago Chile -- Princess Sailings and Passengers

mmyorkston

DougH (from this board) flies out this afternoon for his cruise (32 day) that starts on Tuesday, March 2nd. I wonder what he is going to do (along with all the others). I just read on the roll call that the Santiago airport is closed until 3/3.

Most importantly - I am so sorry for the people who live there. It sounds like a mess. This area is supposed to be so beautiful and it sounds like a lot of damage was done and many deaths.

DougH (from this board) flies out this afternoon for his cruise (32 day) that starts on Tuesday, March 2nd. I wonder what he is going to do (along with all the others). I just read on the roll call that the Santiago airport is closed until 3/3.

I just read another account that said airport closed for 24 hours. It is probably too early to know anything.

Prayers going out to all of those affected in South America!

Having just been in Valparaiso, Vina del Mar and Puerto Monte last month, my heart goes out to all the people there. Earthquakes are nothing new to the region, but this one was a mother! And such a beautiful area and people. This is sad news indeed!

This breaks my heart, Chili is such a beautiful place and the people so wonderful.

Just checked out the Star BridgeCam, everything looks calm . . . you know that the crew are on top of things and trying to get out of harms way.

The far reaching effects of this is very worrisome.

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers to everyone who has been and will be effected by this terrible disaster.

This breaks my heart, Chili is such a beautiful place and the people so wonderful.

Just checked out the Star BridgeCam, everything looks calm . . . you know that the crew are on top of things and trying to get out of harms way.

The far reaching effects of this is very worrisome.

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers to everyone who has been and will be effected by this terrible disaster.

Hopefully someone from the ship can post soon. It will be difficult to get all of those passengers off the ship and flying home in a few days. I am sure Princess will take care of all of those people. It is those who live there that I am most worried about.

Must be South American cruise ships off the coast. :eek: MSC England is there, off shore fortunately!

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml

8.8 apparently is about 800 times stronger than the Haitian quake.

The Boxing Day Quake disaster covered a sea bed slip of 800 kilometers... and was about the same magnitude as this one :eek:

Santiago, 200 k away from the epicenter is a mess.....

Tsunami warning for the entire Pacific

Santiago Airport officially closed for at least 72 hours. Big time terminal damage

A friend I met on Star in Jan is in Vina I hope she is OK She was supposed to go back to California this weekend .I hope she left early !!!!I know she lives in a highrise by the sea ...OH LORD!!!

I can just imagine the effect of this quake on Valparaiso with all the old buildings near cliffs

I hope our guide and his family are OK I hear there were 25 aftershocks so far .THOSE POOR PEOPLE!!!

My thoughts are with all of them ...and now to worry about Tsunamis !!!

How sad....and to think we were just there!!!

Michele

Just checked ship tracker and MSC England is the only cruise ship it shows off South America on the Pacific side....

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml

but the Star Princess is apparently in the Beagle channel at the tip of the continent

They will be sounding the tsunami sirens in Hawaii at 6am local time. This one is a baddy

I was scheduled to fly down to Santiago today to catch the Star on Tuesday. Talked to Princess and at this point they have no idea about what plans will be. I'm scheduled to be on the Star for 32 day, worst case is I pick up the ship in Buenos Aires of Rio for the 2nd half of the cruise

I was scheduled to fly down to Santiago today to catch the Star on Tuesday. Talked to Princess and at this point they have no idea about what plans will be. I'm scheduled to be on the Star for 32 day, worst case is I pick up the ship in Buenos Aires of Rio for the 2nd half of the cruise

When were you supposed to board?

BTW A tsunami is now official. Robinson Crusoe Island was hit hard and Hawaii is going to evacuate at risk areas in anticipation of the wave to arrive around 11am local. There are a number of cruise ship in the Hawaiian Islands right now and my guess is today will be a sea day for all of them

So sad. I haven't seen much on the internet yet. A few videos but of course it was dark outside. We were in Valpairaso and Santiago in early December. Our guide commented that they were just starting to allow high-rises in Santiago again. They might have to re-think that.

I wondered when the Star was due there again. I'll be really interested to hear how they handle it.

My heart goes out to the warm and friendly people of Chile. We've been there twice and loved it both times.

WEST COAST/ALASKA

• At this time, only a tsunami "advisory" is in effect for the California coast, as well as the Alaskan Pacific coast.

• Per the National Weather Service in Los Angeles, only a minor (non-destructive) tsunami is expected in Southern California. That being said, these lower amplitude tsunamis still can produce dangerous currents and surges in harbors and bays.

• Forecast arrival times below (within 30 minutes) for Southern California:

San Pedro Harbor: 12:15 pm PST

Santa Monica Harbor: 12:25 pm PST

Santa Barbara Harbor: 12:31 pm PST

Port San Luis Harbor: 12:35 pm PST

Animation_41b.jpg

OTHER PACIFIC AREAS

• Arrival of first wave:

Acapulco, Mexico: 11:15 am EST

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico: 12:49 pm EST

Mazatlan, Mexico: 12:53 pm EST

Pago Pago, American Samoa: 2:51 pm EST

Wellington, New Zealand: 2:55 pm EST

Sydney, Australia: 4:46 pm EST

Japan: 11:35 pm EST

Philippines: 12:27 am EST Sunday

Animation_41a.jpg

So sad. I haven't seen much on the internet yet. A few videos but of course it was dark outside. We were in Valpairaso and Santiago in early December. Our guide commented that they were just starting to allow high-rises in Santiago again. They might have to re-think that.

I wondered when the Star was due there again. I'll be really interested to hear how they handle it.

My heart goes out to the warm and friendly people of Chile. We've been there twice and loved it both times.

I just hope we only have to think about the effected being Chilean... this is an all day disaster that will unfold as the tsunami makes it way across the Pacific....:eek:

CNN is reporting that Robinson Crusoe Island (well off Chili but one of the closest islands to the quake epicenter) has been very hard hit by a tsunami

My parents are on the star at the moment and should be ending up in Santiago and spend a couple of days there before heading back to London UK. Any idea what they will do or if the Star will dock as normal?

Will Princess look after them once they do dock?

Thanks

According to my TA - they are still figuring this out as she has been on the phone several times with them this morning.

My parents are on the star at the moment and should be ending up in Santiago and spend a couple of days there before heading back to London UK. Any idea what they will do or if the Star will dock as normal?

Thanks

Too early to say, CNN is now reporting the Santiago airport will be closed for 24 hours.... not 72 as earlier report suggested....

Thanks

I have no doubt Princess will take care of them!

According to my TA - Princess is still trying to figure things out. I would call your Princess office (I assume you are in UK). Though - I am not sure if they know anything yet - it may be worth waiting a few hours before you call as I am not sure they have their plans in place yet. Please post if you hear from them. The Captain on the ship right now (Ed Perrin) is supposed to be a great Captain so I am sure he has them safe somewhere. My guess is the passengers on the ship is their number one concern (with the March 2nd passengers and their travel arrangements their number 2 concern).

Have just spoken to Princess UK and they say that the next star cruise is going ahead as normal at this present time.

When I asked about my parents who are presently on board they said they have no information and the staff on board are sorting out regarding hotels etc They said they probably will fly them out the same day but I have no idea if they even know the logistics of doing this. :confused::confused:

Have just spoken to Princess UK and they say that the next star cruise is going ahead as normal at this present time.

When I asked about my parents who are presently on board they said they have no information and the staff on board are sorting out regarding hotels etc They said they probably will fly them out the same day but I have no idea if they even know the logistics of doing this. :confused::confused:

There is no way anyone can say what's what in Santiago or what the situation will be over the next few days so early into this disaster. Without information, Princess staff would have to say to everyone all's well and on schedule.

Believe me, the Star Princess is a very low priority to Chili right now. If they can't dock, or the airport can't handle the passenger traffic they will likely have to wait as everyone on board has everything they need and are safe, sound and well fed.

Your parents are fine and will get home when they get home. In fact, they are part of a sadly very exciting moment in time. :eek:

My dad in on the Star right now, and I've had email from him, stating that they have been told that risk to of a Tsunami while on board is minimal, as the ship will move with the height of the water.

They however have a Land excursion out of Santiago, and are unsure of whether that has been affected.

Archived