Earthquake near Santiago Chile -- Princess Sailings and Passengers

mmyorkston

They don't even have to dock, they can stay at anchor. Just a little paperwork that has to be done, and probably can be handled quickly.

Hopefully, the port of San Pedro will be unaffected and this is just an abundance of caution.

The Coast Guard has ordered ships to leave ports in Hawaii, so the schedule the Golden is on is quite fortuitous. The port calls were not impacted by the earthquake.

The devastation from the earthquake is horrible, I do hope that the death toll remains low for this one.

They don't even have to dock, they can stay at anchor. Just a little paperwork that has to be done, and probably can be handled quickly.

Hopefully, the port of San Pedro will be unaffected and this is just an abundance of caution.

The Coast Guard has ordered ships to leave ports in Hawaii, so the schedule the Golden is on is quite fortuitous. The port calls were not impacted by the earthquake.

The devastation from the earthquake is horrible, I do hope that the death toll remains low for this one.

Being at anchor is no help. The ship is only safe in deep water.

My dad in on the Star right now, and I've had email from him, stating that they have been told that risk to of a Tsunami while on board is minimal, as the ship will move with the height of the water.

They however have a Land excursion out of Santiago, and are unsure of whether that has been affected.

A ship in deep water is completely safe from any tsunami.

Someone on the March 2nd roll call received a tweet from someone currently onboard the Star Princess:

"THE CAPT says we r safe, 3000 metres deep, no further word on what we do from here."

So thankfully everyone on the Star Princess is safe.

That is correct, a ship in deep water is perfectly safe.

If anyone hears anything please email me or post regarding the star princess....my mom is onthe the ship and Im concerned how things are going there.

Lenny

conelectric @aol.com

mom

Pearl Ruchefsky

If the Star Princess is in deep water then it is perfectly safe.

I just read the following on foxnews.com - our prayers with everyone.

Ships trying to enter the port of Honolulu have been told to turn around, and any vessels now in the port are advised to leave ahead of a potential tsunami aimed at Hawaii, Chief Petty Officer Chad Saylor, a Coast Guard spokesman, told FoxNews.com.

They are clearing out the port so that emergency supplies and assistance will be able to easily get into the state if necessary.

The Coast Guard has made contact with all large vessels in the area, including a cruise ship, to let them know about the advisory.

The cruise ship was reported to have been refueling and was planning to depart before 6 a.m. (11 a.m. ET).

I was watching a live feed from a Hawaiian TV station (http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/category.asp?C=176904&nav=menu55_1_5) and they had a scene showing pleasure ships leaving a marina by the score.

Gas stations all around the Hawaiian Islands are closing as they run out of fuel.

I am concerned about the seas if there is any problem with the waves from the earthquake today........my sister is in route to Costa Rica on Coral.......? Would love any opinions or news on how it may affect the ship sailing? thanx, sailinsal

A ship at sea, meaning in deep water, is perfectly safe. The tsunami will pass harmless below the ship.

Maybe it's going off topic but...did Poseidon Adventure ever say that wave was a tidal wave? Or just a rogue wave?

Anyway, how is Hawaii doing? Does Princess have any ships there in port this moment?

In the first Poseidon Adventure, they mention an earthquake, so it was apparently a tidal wave (but not based in reality). The second one was a rogue wave...

The Sapphire Princess is in San Pedro today. There was a big earthquake near the northern part of Chile early Saturday morning. This has resulted in a tsunami advisory for San Pedro at 12:15pm ...

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/0227-tsunami-warn_2010-02-27

I wonder if the captain of the Sapphire Princess will stay in port or go out to sea until the danger passes.

Animation_41b.jpg

• Forecast arrival times below (within 30 minutes) for Southern California:

San Pedro Harbor: 12:15 pm PST

Santa Monica Harbor: 12:25 pm PST

Santa Barbara Harbor: 12:31 pm PST

Port San Luis Harbor: 12:35 pm PST

The Sapphire is docked. She's about a mile inside a protected harbor and should be okay. The danger will be over hours before she has to sail.

The danger for the Star Princess has been over for hours. She probably didn't even notice the wave passing under her.

The Golden, as long as she's at sea, won't have a problem either. And yes, she can just anchor offshore at Ensenada if there is any damage to the port to perform her required paperwork.

In the first Poseidon Adventure, they mention an earthquake, so it was apparently a tidal wave (but not based in reality). The second one was a rogue wave...

The Sapphire is docked. She's about a mile inside a protected harbor and should be okay. The danger will be over hours before she has to sail.

The danger for the Star Princess has been over for hours. She probably didn't even notice the wave passing under her.

The Golden, as long as she's at sea, won't have a problem either. And yes, she can just anchor offshore at Ensenada if there is any damage to the port to perform her required paperwork.

Some of the US Navy has been instructed to leave Pearl Harbor and other Hawaiian ports immediately. Pleasure boats are leaving marinas and heading to sea in droves.

I just heard that they think the surge will be about 13-16 feet... that'll do some damage. :(

Just heard from my sister on the Golden. "a large wave will hit Ensenada when we were to arrive, so the captain is postponing our arrival by 1 hour."

I had noticed that the bridge cam earlier showed them near land and now shows them out at sea.

I heard on the news this morning that Costa Rica and Panama were affected by the Chilean tsunami and was wondering how this may effect the Panama Canal Cruise ?

We are due to board the Island Princess tomorrow with Huatulco being our 1st stop on Monday which does not sound promising based on a previous post.

I heard on the news this morning that Costa Rica and Panama were affected by the Chilean tsunami and was wondering how this may effect the Panama Canal Cruise ?

We are due to board the Island Princess tomorrow with Huatulco being our 1st stop on Monday which does not sound promising based on a previous post.

The danger from a tsunami will be over by the end of the day. Your cruise will be fine.

news_photo_news.jpg

News Article

2/27/2010

Earthquake in Chile and Tsunami Warnings

We are aware of various tsunami warnings as a result of the magnitude 8.8 earthquake in Chile this morning. Any potential impact to our fleet has been reviewed thoroughly. As a result, some changes to port calls today and tomorrow have been made to ensure the safety of our passengers and crew. Passengers are being kept updated onboard.

</B>Voyage 9005 -- Star Princess</B>

Our shoreside offices have been in constant communication with management onboard Star Princess, and, where possible, our contacts in Chile. We have assessed the situation based on the information we currently have.

At this time, we do not anticipate any changes to our arrival in Valparaiso, Chile on Tuesday, March 2. We are currently reviewing the scheduled call to Puerto Montt tomorrow and will advise passengers who are onboard as we learn more.

Our best information at this point is that the Santiago airport will be closed through Monday. This is a very fluid situation and could change at any time. When we have additional information we will provide updates to our passengers onboard.

</B>Voyage 9006 -- Star Princess</B>

Star Princess is still scheduled to arrive on Tuesday in Valparaiso, Chile on Tuesday, March 2. Based on the statements that the Santiago airport will be closed for the next 72 hours, at this time we expect embarkation to commence as planned. This is a very fluid situation and could change at any time. We encourage passengers to make any necessary adjustments to plan their flight to arrive in Valparaiso on Tuesday, March 2

From the Princess web site:

2/27/2010

Earthquake in Chile and Tsunami Warnings

We are aware of various tsunami warnings as a result of the magnitude 8.8 earthquake in Chile this morning. Any potential impact to our fleet has been reviewed thoroughly. As a result, some changes to port calls today and tomorrow have been made to ensure the safety of our passengers and crew. Passengers are being kept updated onboard.

</B>Voyage 9005 -- Star Princess</B>

Our shoreside offices have been in constant communication with management onboard Star Princess, and, where possible, our contacts in Chile. We have assessed the situation based on the information we currently have.

At this time, we do not anticipate any changes to our arrival in Valparaiso, Chile on Tuesday, March 2. We are currently reviewing the scheduled call to Puerto Montt tomorrow and will advise passengers who are onboard as we learn more.

Our best information at this point is that the Santiago airport will be closed through Monday. This is a very fluid situation and could change at any time. When we have additional information we will provide updates to our passengers onboard.

</B>Voyage 9006 -- Star Princess</B>

Star Princess is still scheduled to arrive on Tuesday in Valparaiso, Chile on Tuesday, March 2. Based on the statements that the Santiago airport will be closed for the next 72 hours, at this time we expect embarkation to commence as planned. This is a very fluid situation and could change at any time. We encourage passengers to make any necessary adjustments to plan their flight to arrive in Valparaiso on Tuesday, March 2.

"Star Princess is still scheduled to arrive on Tuesday in Valparaiso, Chile on Tuesday, March 2. Based on the statements that the Santiago airport will be closed for the next 72 hours, at this time we expect embarkation to commence as planned. This is a very fluid situation and could change at any time. We encourage passengers to make any necessary adjustments to plan their flight to arrive in Valparaiso on Tuesday, March 2"

All the flights are canceled to Santiago on Mar 02. how do you get to get onboard?

I am on the same cruise. I spoke to some friends a while ago who are doing a pre-stay in Acapulco and they said everything was fine there. There was another post in the thread saying the ship couldn't dock in Huatalco today, but that shouldn't impact us for Monday.

Hopefully the damages are minimal for everyone.

Interesting news release from Princess. I was scheduled to fly to Santiago today and have not heard from Princess what to do or when I fly now. Luckily my air this time is thru Princess. As long as they get me to the ship on Tuesday I'll be happy but looks like at least the couple of days pre cruise are history.

Just heard from my sister on the Golden. "a large wave will hit Ensenada when we were to arrive, so the captain is postponing our arrival by 1 hour."

I had noticed that the bridge cam earlier showed them near land and now shows them out at sea.

It looks like she's now sorta hovering outside the harbor.

Interesting news release from Princess. I was scheduled to fly to Santiago today and have not heard from Princess what to do or when I fly now. Luckily my air this time is thru Princess. As long as they get me to the ship on Tuesday I'll be happy but looks like at least the couple of days pre cruise are history.

I'm a TA and have been working with LAN and American on flights for some of my clients on this voyage.

All I can say is that I think it highly unlikely Princess can operate on Tuesday as scheduled. Notwithstanding the significant damage to local infrastructure that our local ground handling company is reporting - the situation with flights is insane.

All flights today are cancelled, and I understand that all flights tomorrow are pending cancellation. There are flights on Monday still scheduled for now, which would arrive on Tuesday just in time - but they are completely full. I just don't see how Princess is going to be able to operate when some 2,600 passengers just can't get seats on planes once the airlines (hopefully) start flying again on Monday. Even guests due to fly down 2 or 3 days early haven't been able to get down there (flights last night were sent back/diverted) so I expect that the number of guests for this sailing whom are already down there is very very small and the vast majority are still in North America or other parts of the world and will have extreme difficulty getting there.

The only other option I can think is that Princess may charter flights for guests booked on Princess air (this is purely speculation - I have not been told this by Princess). For guests with independent air, it's just insane situation.

And of course, notwithstanding the above, I add my thoughts and best wishes similar to those that have already posted earlier, for all the families and individuals in Chile that have been impacted by this.

The effects of the quake are reaching NZ as I post.

Reports are coming in of unusual tidal surges and many low lying areas have been evacuated.

Dawn Princess arrived in Auckland early this morning, but mid morning it left its berth and is now sitting in the middle of the harbour.

Archived