Seabourn Spirit Rome/Venice 25 Sept preview/review

Jim Avery

Nearly time to cram the tin tube for a (hopefully) nice flight from VPS (Podunk Intl) to Rome FCO via Charlotte, NC on USAir.:eek: I will attempt to do some live updates on this thread but since there are at least 10-12 couples from Cruise Critic on board, I probably will not get a word in edgewise.:D I really want to thank all the Seabourn regulars for all the great advice and particularly Martita who has been encouraging me to take the Seabourn plunge for a few years now. I guess I am just a slow learner Martha. I echo Cammiem in that I feel a bit disloyal to my regular ride, SeaDream, but then, they rent out "my" stateroom when I am not aboard so fair is fair. There are quite a few of our group that we know of who have also sailed SeaDream so the inevitable compare/contrast comments will come up. We are looking forward to the extra inside venues on SB for Europe as SD is mainly all about the open decks and in the Caribbean, they are fabulous. So, the Kindles are loaded, the last pair of shoes arrived via Zappos today, the dog sitters are all ready for baby, all confirmations are in hand, the bags are packed and I have 5 Euros!:eek: Bet the exchange rate at FCO will water my eyes. Need cash for Stefano with RomeCabs for the ride to Civitivecchia and a few for a lunch/vino while waiting for 2:00PM and the race to the Sky Bar!:D Looking forward to meeting all from these boards as well as the famous Capt. Dag and his stellar crew. Safe travels to all you Seabourners out there.

Jim & Lois

Jim

I have alerted the Staff/Crew on the beautiful white Spirit Castle to keep the lights on for you and your "Gang of Merrymakers!" Sean will be waiting for you on Sat. at the Sky Bar ~~and Sat. evening, Armand will welcome you to the dining room! I know all of you will enjoy Captain "Dag" (I'm looking forward to meeting the famous Regent Master)

Have a fantastic and magical sailing ~don't forget the 'luncheon fried onion rings!

Safe travels ~'Bon Voyage:p

Martita B.

Seabourn Scalawag

Wishing our friends Jim and Lois safe travels as they head out from Podunk via CLT (have a Bloody Mary for me in the USAir Club) to Rome!

Glad that the last of the Chico's run and Zappo's deliveries have been made. Please tell me you really are taking more than two pair of shoes:eek:

Looking forward to your reports/comparisons/contrast as you SeaDreamers are lucky enough to experience yet another luxury experience:cool:

While I don't have a reserved anything on SB (but you do know where to find "my" spot on SD) please gather the CC gang at the front whirlpool at sunset and raise a glass of champers for all of us who traveling vicariously with you!

Fair winds and a following sea my friends!

Wishing our friends Jim and Lois safe travels as they head out from Podunk via CLT (have a Bloody Mary for me in the USAir Club) to Rome!

Glad that the last of the Chico's run and Zappo's deliveries have been made. Please tell me you really are taking more than two pair of shoes:eek:

Looking forward to your reports/comparisons/contrast as you SeaDreamers are lucky enough to experience yet another luxury experience:cool:

While I don't have a reserved anything on SB (but you do know where to find "my" spot on SD) please gather the CC gang at the front whirlpool at sunset and raise a glass of champers for all of us who traveling vicariously with you!

Fair winds and a following sea my friends!

Bon Voyagee, Jim and Lois! Two pair of shoes, and carry-on's? Two kindles... I WILL have to follow this trip report!:cool:

Hmmm...perhaps we're on the same flight ? Tom and I are flying to Rome, (originate LAX) via Charlotte on USAir #720 Biz Class arriving in Rome @ 9:30am Saturday (includes Seabourn transfer to Civitavecchia).

As Regent regulars, we have more than 300 nights with Capt. Dag at the helm (aka Captain Gorgeous) You're in for a treat. He's an excellent "driver", very personable and a great all around Captain.

Safe Travels to all !

Marcie

Have a grand time ~sounds like from the CC posters you'll be with a really fun, friendly group!

Don't be surprised if Captain Dag sees yours and Tom's name on the manifest ~usually the day before a sailing the Senior Staff has a meeting where they go over/look at the passenger list for the next sailing. My lips have been sealed and I've kept your'lit surprise secret ~he'll be so happy to see both of you.

I know you'll enjoy the food, wines, service and the wonderful fellowship aboard the Spirit!

Martita B

Hmmm...perhaps we're on the same flight ? Tom and I are flying to Rome, (originate LAX) via Charlotte on USAir #720 Biz Class arriving in Rome @ 9:30am Saturday (includes Seabourn transfer to Civitavecchia).

As Regent regulars, we have more than 300 nights with Capt. Dag at the helm (aka Captain Gorgeous) You're in for a treat. He's an excellent "driver", very personable and a great all around Captain.

Safe Travels to all !

Hi Marcie:

We are in 3G/H. Are you behind me? Don't be kicking my seat all the way across. We have about 3 hours in CLT. Hope to meet you in the lounge.

J & L

Say hello to Armand for us. He is the most accomodating maitred' you will ever meet.

We will be on the Oct 16th Rome to Rome. We are actually flying Aer Lingus as most of the flights leave too early in the morning on the way back. We will be using Rome cabs also. Prior to departure, we will be spending four nights in Rome. Can't wait!

Hoisting an Iced Diet Green Tea your way Jim since it isn't quite 5 p.m. here ... YET ... and I'm not on vacation ... YET:p

I saw that Cammiems left yesterday as I was following her adventures on FB:D

Don't forget to add a review of the Business Class service on USAir to your trip report! DJ's DH and I are flying Envoy (Biz Class) to Lisbon in a few short weeks. It will be my first time in Envoy crossing the pond while DJ's DH has done it too many times to count and therefore not a good reviewer:p

When DJ's DH arrives home this evening we face southwest (the general location of CLT from our house) and hoist a Vodka martini your way (maybe I can get DJ's DH to stuff some olives with blue cheese for me:p)

Safe travels to you and Lois as well as all the other CC travelers!

we took the SD to Adriatic in June,,but booked the SB Norway cruise for next May,,,so look forward to comparisons..we loved SD food and service but the cabins were too small and no balconies, made us switch to SB...esp.for Europe weather....also going on Regent to W.Carribean in Nov...look forward to your posts....

PS..all you SD CC posters were very helpful before my first time cruise....thanks...now hope same with first SB....:)

We're onboard and off to a great start. When we boarded yesterday we were docked near the Regent Voyager so for us, it seemed like old home week. Our USAir flight from Charlotte was fine, we got to meet Jim and Lois across from us in Biz class...very nice couple!

The service was great, watched some movies and got a little (very little, not USAir's fault) sleep. I had the filet migon but it was very over cooked IMO, not medium rare as I would have preferred.

The ship looks great to us. Being the first time on this (or any Seabourn) ship we don't have a basis of comparison. Our room stewardess, Cheryl is a doll and so attentive. Last night we ate in restaurant 2 and had delicious surf & turf. Tonight is Captain's Welcome party and we're eating at Capt. Dag's table in the main dining room. Anyway, not a lot to report yet but we're off to a very good start. :)

Thanks for reporting in petlover (may I call you Marcie?)!

Glad to you had a good flight across the pond. I appreciate the report on biz service on USAir.

Sounds like you are off to a great start. The Captain's table on the night of the Captain's reception ... very impressive!

Enjoy your day!

I'll have to make sure to give Jim and Cammiem a hard time since they promised live reports and you had the first report!:p:D:p

Be Nice, DJ:

Hey the weather is perfect. Absolutely love our cabin and the service has been perfect so far. Quite the cruise critic group on board so they need to chime in too but the computers are pretty slow. Anchored off Sicily in a picture perfect setting. Will post pix later. Went into the "pool" off the stern into the clear, blue 78deg. Med. Great! Only thing not to my liking so far is the often mentioned pool deck. Not very user friendly. In fact, the open deck spaces/deck chairs are lacking when compared to the beautiful teak furniture and wonderful open deck spaces on SD. Am loving the inside venues. Always quiet places with views and superb drink service while figuring out the Kindle.:eek: I know, a slow learner. Actually, really love it. Capt. Dag is great and we are dining with him tonight. Went ashore in Lipari, Italy yesterday. From prior research on the net, it did not sound like much. Don't listen. It is a lovely quaint village much like Portofino but without the traffic and crowds. Very well worth doing. Ganttc was just in here on his way to the SKY BAR (Very reminicient of the TOY BAR) and is ordering me a Vodka/soda. Martita, your stool has been used reverently. Sean is as you described: a mind reader and a medical practicioner of the finest kind. His personal version of Long Island Iced Tea is the best ever.:D So far, a fantastic trip. I second Marcie's take on USScare Biz class. The worst seats ever in Biz but the space and especially the service was great. Ship is full, lots of Brits and other Europeans and NO KIDDIES!:D:D The only time it feels crowded at all has been on the open decks and there is considerable "chair hogging" going on. Good thing we are not here for the sun. Will have more later as it is time for a toddy. Tomorrow is Chef's Walk in Corfu in the morning, car tour of the island and Restaurant 2 reservations for Indian Night tomorrow night. Ellen, thanks for the email update on the Tide. Sounds like last years Auburn game. Hope all the rest go well. I am counting on you this weekend. RTR!!!

Jim & Lois

Jim

Many thanks for your Spirit review ~we appreciate your taking valued and precious time to post.

Pleeeze tell Sean I send congratulations to he and Regina ~and that I miss him! Keep my stool 'perch warm!

Who is your Executive Chef? The Chef's shopping excursion is always a highlight and not to be missed. Don't forget....if while looking/shopping you and Lois see something you would like, don't hesitate to tell Cheffy ~ I'm sure he'll purchase fish and good local cheese.

Have a wonderful evening with Captain Dag and fellow shipmates!

Martita B

Archived