Cruise Casino Comps - what to expect....

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruise Casinos
For those crazed about casinos on board!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:28 PM.
#1
44 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Was looking for experience from people who have been comped on cruise ships.

I play Blackjack from time to time, and instead of going to Vegas or somewhere else, why not go on a cruise?

So if I average about 300 per hand, and give them say 2 hours a day, what can I expect in comps? Will they pick up a cabin? Suite? Just drinks? Nothing at all?

What is the best cruise line to get the most comps?

Thanks is advance from a newbie cruiser.
#3
Virginia
65 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
I received comp rooms at the Venetian and the Palazzo in Las Vegas for 2 years after my Carnival cruise. That's about the level of comps I have received from a cruise ship. I guess Carnival has an agreement with The Venetian to share info.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#4
NYC
185 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Norweigan's "Casino at Seas" program is generally regarded as having the best comps. Avg bet is clearly sufficient, hours may be a little low. I would call and ask about their expectations (you'll probably also want to discuss adjusting table maximums, which they will do if you make arrangements in advance...but I don't know the requirements). Also, I've never heard of them comping an initial cruise without prior play, but they will definately give you comps against your on board account (I'd guess several hundred) based on your play.

After your first cruise I would expect a comped room in advance and comps against room charges based on play.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff
04/02 RCI Enchantment OTS
12/08 NCL Gem
12/09 NCL Pearl
12/11 NCL Pearl
12/14 NCL Breakaway
06/15 NCL Breakaway
12/15 NCL Star

#5
44 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Thanks Bchristie and Jeffffs.

In thinking of the hours available to gamble, it just seems that on a cruise it would be less than at a land based casino - with ports, dinners, shows etc - it just seems the available gambling time window is small - and that is why I said 2 hours......

Going to take your advice and call next week to the different casinos at sea programs.

Anyone else with prior experience?
#6
Massapequa, NY
400 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
First let me ask this, if you are that kind of gambler "will you marry me?" haha.
OK now that that is out of the way I will tell you my experiences. For the last 2 years I hardly go to land based casinos and only cruise. When I was playing on land at Harrahs properties I was Seven Star, so if you are familiar with that you know that i am a pretty "heavy" gambler.

In 2007 we went on the RCL's Liberty of the Seas. I play mostly slots. On the second night I was approached by the casino manager and invited to join Club Royale which is their player club by invitation only. We were given cards to drink free in the casino for the rest of the trip. They have special tournament cruises for their members (slots and blackjack) throughout the year. The cruise is complimentary(just port charges and taxes) and they give you a cashback from your last cruise.
On NCL, our first cruise was a complimentary from Harrahs(they have a partnership of some kind). We had free drinks in the casino throughout and at the end of the cruise depending on your play they take money off your final bill.

So basicly you have to sail first on most lines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#7
44 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by slotmomma3
First let me ask this, if you are that kind of gambler "will you marry me?" haha.
OK now that that is out of the way I will tell you my experiences. For the last 2 years I hardly go to land based casinos and only cruise. When I was playing on land at Harrahs properties I was Seven Star, so if you are familiar with that you know that i am a pretty "heavy" gambler.

In 2007 we went on the RCL's Liberty of the Seas. I play mostly slots. On the second night I was approached by the casino manager and invited to join Club Royale which is their player club by invitation only. We were given cards to drink free in the casino for the rest of the trip. They have special tournament cruises for their members (slots and blackjack) throughout the year. The cruise is complimentary(just port charges and taxes) and they give you a cashback from your last cruise.
On NCL, our first cruise was a complimentary from Harrahs(they have a partnership of some kind). We had free drinks in the casino throughout and at the end of the cruise depending on your play they take money off your final bill.

So basicly you have to sail first on most lines.
I would love to marry you, but my wife might get mad.

I actually called around today and got the same story you and other give. Royal Caribbean basically works on a rebate system, having to do with a percentage of your "theo" or theoretical loss. Pretty standard except that you get nothing on your first cruise, and then a cash rebate of your play for the previous cruise only on your next cruise. They also run certain cruises for certain people at certain times - but you have to be an established player.

NCL seemed more open to taking references from land based casinos, and they also seemed more likely to comp - I dont know that for sure - but it sounded that way on the phone.

Anyway, I am sure I will try this out - and thanks everyone for the responses in this thread!!
#8
Mount Arlington, NJ
682 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Originally posted by casinocompman
Forgot to add....

Bring a bankroll of say 25K.

Thanks
just a side comment, you might run into issues carrying that type of cash through customs, and I don't know what the limit is on your sail and sign card per day, you might want to phone ahead for a line of credit.
#9
75 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by grod19
just a side comment, you might run into issues carrying that type of cash through customs, and I don't know what the limit is on your sail and sign card per day, you might want to phone ahead for a line of credit.
Yeah I used to fly to Freeport out of FLL quite a bit and the most you could (legally) leave the country with then was $3000. That was about 20 years ago--prolly higher now.
#10
Mount Arlington, NJ
682 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Originally posted by whosyer12
Yeah I used to fly to Freeport out of FLL quite a bit and the most you could (legally) leave the country with then was $3000. That was about 20 years ago--prolly higher now.
i think anything over 10k needs to be declared, and heading to the caribbean or south america is going to put the drug dealer label all over you carrying that much cash.
#11
New Jersey
4,927 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Dont expect much from Carnival.I spend around $5000 per cruise sometimes more sometimes less and they are really bad .Most I have gotten is drinks.I wrote them a nice letter last month to tell them how bad there system is(never got an answer either)


Mike
#12
991 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Just off NCL Dawn which was a comped cruise from last years play. Also got $400 off final bill and free cocktails while gambling. This time , gambling about the same, got $35 off the bill! Had heard they had changed the comps but that was ridiculous! Don't think there will be a free cruise from this one.so they will not have my complete loyalty
#13
brooklyn ny
2,407 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
We are taking our 4th comped NCL cruise in January. We signed up for the casino at sea card. They have the cards like land casinos that you put in the machines or give to your dealer. The points translate to $ off your account at the end of the trip. Im not sure of the ratio of points to dollars-sorry!

When booking through the casino at sea you get free drinks in the casino. This can REALLY save a lot of money! Regarding the comped rooms. You are comped a better stateroom depending on your play. We didnt play as much as normal last year so we were comped an inside cabin this year and upgraded to balcony. The best weve had was being comped an outside cabin and just upgrading to balcony. The Casino director comped us 2 dinners for 2 including wine at a restaurant of our choice-of course we went to Cagneys! Edited to say this was in addition to the money off our onboard account.
#14
Texas
227 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by bchristie1074
I received comp rooms at the Venetian and the Palazzo in Las Vegas for 2 years after my Carnival cruise. That's about the level of comps I have received from a cruise ship. I guess Carnival has an agreement with The Venetian to share info.
It's called Club Grazie and 'was' a partnership between them and Carnival. Just came back from Vegas and used my points I obtained on Carnival....which was great, but was informed by the supervisor 'the partnership has ended'...From what I understand Carnival only wants to focus on their own CPC program...that's cool!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Christopher

Future
12/13/15 Magic - Western Caribbean

Past
02/02/14 Valor - San Juan, Puerto Rico
07/06/13 Liberty - Eastern Caribbean
02/03/13 Legend - Western Caribbean - PLATINUM
12/21/12 Imagination - Bahamas
02/05/12 Magic - Western Caribbean
02/20/11 Conquest - Western Caribbean
10/18/09 Splendor - Mexican Riviera
06/14/09 Legend - Western Caribbean
02/22/09 Valor - Eastern Caribbean
02/17/08 Conquest - Western Caribbean
04/16/06 Conquest - Western Caribbean
11/19/01 Ecstasy - Catalina/Ensenada

#15
2 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Most table games had relatively low betting limits -- which was just as well, since many of the people at the cruise ship casino tables had relatively low gaming skills.Good thing, online casinos give great promotions. They even are very generous in terms of bonuses!
#16
666 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by boopsahoy
We are taking our 4th comped NCL cruise in January. We signed up for the casino at sea card. They have the cards like land casinos that you put in the machines or give to your dealer. The points translate to $ off your account at the end of the trip. Im not sure of the ratio of points to dollars-sorry!

When booking through the casino at sea you get free drinks in the casino. This can REALLY save a lot of money! Regarding the comped rooms. You are comped a better stateroom depending on your play. We didnt play as much as normal last year so we were comped an inside cabin this year and upgraded to balcony. The best weve had was being comped an outside cabin and just upgrading to balcony. The Casino director comped us 2 dinners for 2 including wine at a restaurant of our choice-of course we went to Cagneys! Edited to say this was in addition to the money off our onboard account.
We were booked thru CAS and rec'd two comped balcony rates off of one and about 10 percent for the second party of two. We booked BOT) Garden Villas so NCL still made a ton of $ off us our family. On this trip we gambled average of $10 per hand on video poker nd the "kids" played blackjack,
Poker, etc to the tune of $25 to $200 per hand. This is average o 5-6 hours per DAY!

Upon our return, when we called to inquired about discount towards next cruise, we were quoted around 17 per cent.....and two free balcony cabins for two of us......

Needless to say, we are looking elsewhere for net cruise. After $40k for tow Villas AND spending over $30-$40 k in the casino, we think that we can do better. Or we will just continue free suites, limos, gourmet restaurants, etc.at the Wynn....

Sort of disappointed as NO ONE was playing at the rate/level of our family of 11 !!!!!!!
#17
Charleston, SC
779 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
I am only a $100 a day player but perhaps the Casino Host on the Fantasy took a liking to me as I played all day on the $100. and I did put up with a alot of training new dealers.
She kept me in free drinks for most of the cruise, at least 2 a day and even comped a ball cap the last night which turned out to be very lucky at the craps table.
But otherwise do not expect too much from Carnival in the way of comps
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Conquest Upcoming Sailing Sept 26th, 2015
Carnival Fantasy Upcoming July 25, 2015
Carnival Fantasy Sailed September 6, 2010, May 4, 2011, May 14, 2012, Sept 1, 2013, Dec 9, 2013, and May 26, 2014, Sept 4, 2014, Dec 7th, 2014, March 1, 2015 and May 7th, 2015
Carnival Fascination Sailed November 15, 2012 and May 2, 2013
Carnival Glory Sailed May 24, 2010
Carnival Pride Sailed August 21, 2009
Carnival Valor Sailed May 6, 2007
#18
Texas
33 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
We are taking our 6th and 7th "comped" NCL cruises in July and December of this year. On each cruise, we have been comped anywhere from balcony to penthouse cabins, which we have then paid to upgrade when we wanted more luxurious accomodations.

We also receive restaurant and spa comps while at sea, and always a certain discount off the final charges for the cruise, all based on level of play.

It is worth noting that NCL is now partly owned by Harrah's. We are Diamond level players with Harrah's, and do all our NCL comp bookings through our Harrah's Regional Manager and the NCL Casino Marketing group. While the Harrah's Diamond level does not translate to any certain level in NCL's program, it does reflect in the level of comps because they can be reasonably certain of our level of play on each cruise.

Of course, the level of comps for each cruise is based on two things: Your level of play on the previous cruises, and the popularity (destination and time of year) of the cruise you are trying to get comped. You will generally recieve better comps for less popular destinations, older ships, and off-season cruising. Stands to reason: These are the ships they need to work harder to fill.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 7/05
Carnival Fantasy 1/07
Carnival Glory 11/08
RCCL Freedom of the Seas 3/09
NCL Pearl to Alaska 7/25/10
NCL Epic 8/28/10
NCL Sun East Carib 1/1/11
NCL Spirit W. Carib 7/17/11
NCL Dawn So. Carib 12/4/11
NCL Pearl Alaska 8/5/12
NCL Pearl W. Carib 10/21/12
NCL POA Hawaii 5/15/2014 1100 FWD
NCL Pearl Alaska 8/3/14
NCL Pearl Alaska 8/2/15
NCL Escape June 25, 2016 E Caribbean
NCL Escape June 3, 2017 E Caribbean
NCL Escape Nov 11, 2017 E Caribbean


#19
Arizona
1,696 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by mikel24m
Dont expect much from Carnival.I spend around $5000 per cruise sometimes more sometimes less and they are really bad .Most I have gotten is drinks.I wrote them a nice letter last month to tell them how bad there system is(never got an answer either)


Mike
Next time you go email the Carnival Players club and have them look at your play on the last cruise. You should at least qualify for a Bon Voyage package sent to your state room. Still not much but better than nothing.
#20
643 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by mikel24m
Dont expect much from Carnival.I spend around $5000 per cruise sometimes more sometimes less and they are really bad .Most I have gotten is drinks.I wrote them a nice letter last month to tell them how bad there system is(never got an answer either)


Mike
I am sure if you contacted the Ocean Players Club before your next cruise you will also be entitled to casino cash plus the bon voyage package. Also spending that kind of money you will qualify for the free drink card in Casino on your next cruise. I don't spend near what you spend in the casino and I contacted them 3 weeks ago about my upcoming 4/03/2011 and I qualify for casino cash.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature