How to choose?

steveo2916

So I'm looking at two different transatlantic cruises next year:

1. Seabourn Quest - November 8, 13 days

2. Crystal Serenity - December 8, 13 days

Single traveler, cruise-only, Veranda - both come in right at $5800, Crystal includes 1000 OBC (some from Crystal, some from agency)

Room is bigger on Quest. Also, more "all-inclusive" than Serenity, but that's offset by the OBC. I gather Serenity may offer more in the way of entertainment and public spaces.

While I'm happy to dress up in a tux, if I don't need to, all the better. I'm by nature not all that formal and have a low "snootiness" tolerance.

So, opinions on pros and cons of the two?

Many thanks in advance!

SteveO.

There are lots of threads comparing these two lines and I suggest you do a search. The bottom line is that they are both great cruise lines and you won't go wrong with either. The biggest differences imo are:

Ship size: 450 on SB vs. 1000 on Crystal.

Dining:Assigned seating on Crystal vs. Open dining on SB

Dress code: On SB you can now dress more informally (just jacket) even on formal nights

All inclusive vs. OBC: depends on whether you don't mind signing for every drink even if you have the OBC to cover it.

Therefore I would also let the itinerary be one of the guiding factors.

And last, I'd gett a hold of a good, knowledgeable TA in the luxury cruise area, talk to him/her about your wants and needs and be guided by his/her advice.

So I'm looking at two different transatlantic cruises next year:

1. Seabourn Quest - November 8, 13 days

2. Crystal Serenity - December 8, 13 days

Single traveler, cruise-only, Veranda - both come in right at $5800, Crystal includes 1000 OBC (some from Crystal, some from agency)

Room is bigger on Quest. Also, more "all-inclusive" than Serenity, but that's offset by the OBC. I gather Serenity may offer more in the way of entertainment and public spaces.

While I'm happy to dress up in a tux, if I don't need to, all the better. I'm by nature not all that formal and have a low "snootiness" tolerance.

So, opinions on pros and cons of the two?

Many thanks in advance!

SteveO.

I've sailed the Serenity many times. Have not sailed on the newer generation of Seabourn ships but have sailed on the triplets.

Remember, what is a pro to one person might be a con for you.

They are both very good cruise lines.

My advice is simple.

Read the posts on Seabourn and Crystal to get a feel of what most people say about the lines. Go with the 80/20 rule. In other words if 80% of the people say similar things accept that as fact until you experience it yourself.

Get a copy of each lines brochure and read the information on their respective web sites. It tells you also and study the diagram for each ship.

Pick up a copy (you can order it from Amazon) of a book on Ocean Cruising that is updated each year which is written by Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz and has a nice writeup on most cruise ships including these two.

Find a good TA who not only specializes in Luxury Cruising but has sailed on both cruise lines.

And keep an open mind while you do the research and realize that some will post based on their own bias. This is why I would first do the research I mentioned.

Keith

Forgive me, Steveo for going a bit off topic but I really appreciate both wripro and Keith1010's knowledge and could use a little guidance.

I usually search and schedule our own travel and cruises but hope to do a cruise on the Paul Gaugan in 2012 and am a little lost on how to find a good TA that specializes in Tahiti or luxury cruises. I can google and find some but how do I know if it is not just advertisement. I realize recommendations can not be made here on CC but so many talk of how they have found a great TA.

sandm, when I was looking for a new TA (my old TA sold his business and got out of the travel business) I asked some people who I respect for recommendations. In my case, I wanted a TA who specialized in luxury cruise lines. I got recommendations that also included TA's from major travel consortiums (Signature, Virtuoso and Ensemble) and I then spoke with each of the TA's. I basically interviewed each one and then I made my decision after reviewing each proposal and concluding a phone interview with each of them. If you know others who cruise ask them what they think of their TA and try to find some potential candidates who specialize in Luxury cruising. I wouldn't worry if they are very knowledgeable with Tahiti because hopefully you'll use them for other cruises in the future.

Keith

Keith1010, Thank you. I really do value your thoughts. Unfortunately most of my cruise friends are those here on CC that I have never met or spoken to. I simply feel they are my friends through reading their responses or trip reports (like yours). I will continue to investigate then conduct phone interviews, as you suggested. Thanks again for all your input here on CC.

Yes, thanks cb_at_sea for clarifying this important point - I am not talking about how people dress. My point was definitely aimed at how people behave. In fact, I think I'll just do a little more research and then start a whole new thread on the very topic. And I'll be sure to put on my Kevlar jammies behore I hit "Submit".

If I had to choose between only those two cruise lines (having not been on either), I would definitely select the Seabourn Quest. Crystal is a bit too formal, upscale, etc. Plus, the thought of signing for each and every drink I have . . . . plus adding a tip. . . reminds me too much of what life is like not being on vacation.

We are doing a transatlantic next year. . . . I did my research and selected Siilversea. . . . (based on a great itinerary both before and after the crossing).

Which ever luxury cruise line you choose should be great. Happy sailing!

If I had to choose between only those two cruise lines (having not been on either), I would definitely select the Seabourn Quest. Crystal is a bit too formal, upscale, etc. Plus, the thought of signing for each and every drink I have . . . . plus adding a tip. . . reminds me too much of what life is like not being on vacation.

We are doing a transatlantic next year. . . . I did my research and selected Siilversea. . . . (based on a great itinerary both before and after the crossing).

Which ever luxury cruise line you choose should be great. Happy sailing!

LOL.

I have sailed on both the cruise lines and one is not anymore formal than the other. And formality goes beyond the number of nights that one is casual or in more formal attire. I found both cruise lines to be what I would call elegant in terms of the overall atmosphere. That would be elegant as in classy not elegant as in "stuffy".

And, when I sign for a drink the tip is automatically added.

Those who cruise Crystal often book with agents that include the pre-paid tips.

Having sailed on both Seabourn and Crystal both these lines, they both remind me of being on a vacation as they both provide five star experiences.

Keith,

Actually, SB has become a bit more informal in that now, on formal nights one can wear just a jacket into the MDR if one chooses. Black tie and suits are optional, not required. I don't believe that is the case on Crystal.

Keith,

Actually, SB has become a bit more informal in that now, on formal nights one can wear just a jacket into the MDR if one chooses. Black tie and suits are optional, not required. I don't believe that is the case on Crystal.

Crystal still requests a dark suit as a minimum on formal nights, but on my last cruise on the Serenity, ending just 3 1/2 weeks ago, there was no more than 50% in tuxes and about 15% in what I would call sport coats. It does vary from cruise to cruise, but I don't think Crystal is as formal as it once was...to some peoples consternation.

I agree with Keith, formal does not mean stuffy. I really enjoyed a New Year's eve party on the Symphony if Black Tie.

On our first Crystal Cruise, I wore a dark business suit, my wife a pants suite and my son (then 8) wore a sports jacket. We were a little put off by the formal nights. We ended up really enjoying getting dressed for dinner (who does this anymore) and seeing everyone else dressed up. It was not stuffy at all. On our next cruise, I bought a tux for myself, rented one for my son, and my wife went out and got a cocktail dress.

As a related story, I am convinced that it is the men who protest dressing up the most, and their ladies who let them get away with it. Let me explain how I came to this theory. Our school district holds a fund raiser every year. The first 3 years, it was black tie optional and everyone got dressed up. Then, at the behest of the men in the community, all dress codes were dropped. At the last 3 events we attended, the women were all dressed to the nines, and about 25% of the men were dressed as slobs. I was in a suit, as I feel that it is appropriate for a fundraiser.

At 55 I was one of the older men in the room. Those near my age were all dressed in a similar manner to myself. Those men in the 45 and younger age group were more likely to be dressed casually. I also believe that if their wives pushed them, they would dress up as well.

My biggest bone to pick with Crystal's dress code is the informal nights. I feel that the code should be Formal or Country Club Casual. Packing extra sports coats are a slight pain. Yet I still follow that particular dress code under semi protest.

You said you were sailing solo, so I assume you checked the difference in the single supplements? The reason why I stopped sailing Seabourn is their solo unfriendly single supplements. On Crystal, their SS for solos for most of their cabins is 25%, as opposed to 75% for Seabourn. The one thing that really made me angry with Seabourn is the fact that if you go ROH, you can get the lower single supplement, but you're at the mercy of those who assign cabins. For me, I need an accessible cabin, and Seabourn would not budge on their single supplement because I HAD to select a cabin, rather than let them do it, so I had to pay a much higher SS. Though I told them this policy was discriminatory to those solo cruisers with disabilities, they refused to grant the lower SS.

BTW, Crystal, starting next month, will have open seating and traditional. And another point, I just don't get this whole "I don't want to sign for drinks", despite the fact that the generous on board credit usually covers everything on board. What's the big friggin deal about signing a piece of paper? If that's the only reason why someone won't cruise a particular line........well.........

martinsfo: You make an interesting point. . . one that Regent and Seabourn have picked up on already. Men under 45 want to dress more casually. Whether those of us over 45 like it or not, most luxury cruise lines are targeting passengers under 50. Maybe the over 45/50 crowd should be less resistant to change;)

Again, it's because the under 40 crowd has never had to do anything that they do not wish to do. They were never required to dress up, so they don't. Like I said in my other post, the women who are attached to these under 40 year olds are all dressed to the nines. It's the men who resist. Check out 20 somethings and how they dress! Now, I am a child of the 70's who wore nothing but jeans and workshirts all through high school and college. When I gratuated college and went looking for a job, an HR person took pity on me, told me I looked like a hippy and no one would hire me. I borrowed money from my father, cut my hair and bought a suit. I still resist 'uniforms' but I understand them. Looking professional, and well dressed, says something about your intentions and how you respect others as well as your companions. Sorry to get in a tizzy. I am about to leave work and put on my blue jeans. To everyone a Merry Christmas.

Hmmm, sounds like a lot of Crystal loyalists on this board. I don't understand why people don't mind set seating (or seating by reservation only - rather than the open seating available on Silversea, Regent, SeaDream and Seabourn) and signing for everything. I don't find myself thinking about this too much as everyone has the right to their own preferences.

On most luxury lines (Regent, Seabourn, SeaDream and Silversea) signing is not required for most items (exceptions include the purchase of items in the boutique, cigars and ultra top shelf liquor and wine). Although Regent, Seabourn and SeaDream have restaurants that require reservations (as Crystal will do in order to have "open seating"), they also have dining venues that you can just walk in to and ask for a table for 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.

The experience on Crystal is different than all the other luxury lines. There is nothing wrong with that. Crystal has been rated #1 many times and has a wonderful reputation. Whatever all of you enjoy about Crystal is fine. The reason we cruise Regent (and also Silversea) is simply because we want to be spontaneous and eat whenever our stomachs are hungry, order drinks and not interrupt conversations to sign anything. Perhaps we just enjoy being lazy while on vacation:confused:

Happy almost New Year to all.

P.S. Maybe in the New Year, when a question is asked about which cruise line is preferred and why, we can just give our personal opinion, instead of disagreeing with other opinions. Think it will make the boards a bit friendler and will make things a bit easier for the OPs in 2011.

Yes, thanks cb_at_sea for clarifying this important point - I am not talking about how people dress. My point was definitely aimed at how people behave. In fact, I think I'll just do a little more research and then start a whole new thread on the very topic. And I'll be sure to put on my Kevlar jammies behore I hit "Submit".

Steve, having sailed on both the cruise lines you have mentioned, in general, people behave quite well. Take 100 people though and you are going to have a range of people. For us, we have enjoyed the majority of people we have sailed with on both these cruise lines.

We didn't find that passengers on one line were more formal in behavior than the other line or more or less snobby if you know what I mean.

In general, you will find a much more seasoned traveler on the luxury lines.

With that said, some of this is affected by time of year, length of cruise, and promotions that may or may not be in place. These factors will affect the demographics of the passengers including their overall average ages.

We have made a number of life long friends on both cruise lines and we have enjoyed cruising on both these lines. Again, when it comes to Seabourn I have only cruise on their smaller ships.

I would study those deck plans, study the itinerary, read posts on the respective two cruise critic cruise lines, view the internet sites for the two cruise lines and also pick up a copy of the book that I mentioned. The author actually talks a bit about his view of the demographics of the passengers on each cruise line. And, be sure to seek out a travel agent who not only specializes in the luxury lines but also has sailed on them.

My opinion is both lines have lots of positives so I am sure which ever one you go with will be a great cruise.

Keith

Archived