Serenade of the Seas, January 21 - 28, 2012 "Live" from....or "Almost Live"....or ??

Greetings to all the fellow cruise enthusiasts on Cruise Critic.

About three years ago, I did a Live report while on Rhapsody of the Seas and enjoyed it immensely.

I have been inspired by master artists Radio and Trainman2 over the last year to do another one as I so enjoy "riding along" on their cruise as a virtual passenger.

Some opening remarks on my part...actually most likely some disclaimers.

I am a continuing explorer on making my iPad work for me rather than me work for it. I have only it along on this trip, and we will see what happens.

If I just cannot keep going with it, please absolve me and I will complete this report after my return home. I am having a bit of a problem with uploading pictures, but think I have this figured out on my cool down period at my boutique hotel in San Juan.

Secondly, my DW and myself are all about relaxation and enjoying each other's company on this cruise vacation. As such, we will not be reporting on particular tours unless inspired to take one on the spur of the moment. Most of our tours will be "foodie expeditions" to sample local fare and libation together.

I think that is about it...on to the first issue of the pre-cruise report of our pre-night flight activity.

Thanks for joining, understanding my technoplight, and stand by.....:D

We departed good 'ol Dodge City for our nearest "big" airport in Wichita, Kansas on Tuesday afternoon. We enjoyed a delightful ride there (and I a very nice Bolivar Corona).

We checked into the Hilton Airport in Wichita and enjoyed being upgraded to a mini-suite for the evening.

Upon moving our luggage to the room, we embarked on some last minute errands. First was a stop at the Cigar Chateau in Wichita to purchase my cigars to enjoy on this trip. Chris, the manager, steered me onto a couple new selections that I had not yet tried and then I went to some of my old standbys. Upon selecting 10 puros for the trip, I checked out and made off in giddiness over the hours of enjoyment that lay ahead for us.

One more stop at the local Walmart across the street for a second money clip that I could not find when packing at home. We ran into a young lady that is from our home town along with her fiance'. We visited a short time and then moved off to enjoy our evening time together.

DW and I have an addiction to playing trivia at Buffalo Wild Wings. I still have a hard time not calling it BW3's from years back. We enjoyed trivia time, with my DW showing me just how much trivia I did not know until I got my head in the game. She was so kind to tell me that it was because I was on vacation.:D

We enjoyed appetizers, wings, and favorite libations of the evening Blue Moon and Killian's Irish Red.

photo-vi.jpg

Then it was back to the Hilton to try and make these posts. Much to my anguish, I could not get it to work and was rather distraught at taking the iPad and keyboard along.

A few frantic texts to my sister to enlist the help of her eldest son, my Apple techoexpert and then off to what turned out to be a rather fitful night of sleep.

I believe it was the excitement of finally winning ONE trivia game and the trip that lay ahead.

More on the travel and then our first posts of activity in San Juan.

Thanks for checking in.

What can I say...air travel is just a means to an end.

We arrived at the airport at Wichita and was benind a family making a major trip to Vietnam. They had enough luggage that a small boat might have been good. American Airline did well on the check bag fees with that family.

After what turned out to be a very short wait, we had our bags checked (we took two to allow room just in case on the way back and still be under the weight guidelines) we made our way through security rapidly and enjoyed a short wait at the gate.

Our 7:05 AM flight to DFW left on time and allowed us to arrive in Dallas to enjoy about a 2 1/2 hour wait until the second leg. We ate a nice brunch at Reata Grill in Terminal D. We shared Tamales, rice & beans and a Breakfast burrito. Of course, we had the tomato juice seasoned up to what most people will call a Bloody Mary. We were practicing for the cruise.

We did some walking to stay limber for the long sit to Miami. We chose to do Miami as a leg since it would allow us an earlier arrival into San Juan.

We arrived early into Miami. I enjoyed about an hour snooze on the flight. We then had a snack and a Mojito....practicing for the cruise once again.

We then walked some more to stay limbered up for the last leg to San Juan. We arrived early into San Juan and were delighted that both bags arrived intact.

We made our way to the taxi stand for a short 15 minute ride to the Coral Princess Inn in the Condado district.

Upon check in we went to the neighborhood Walgreens just around the corner for some crackers to enjoy our caviar with. We brought a small jar with us to celebrate arrival and pre-cruise. Oh yes, we purchased som Madalla to enjoy with it.

Back at the Coral Princess, we enjoyed the views and the quiet evening together with nice snack and drink. I also enjoyed my first puro of the Caribbean portion of my trip.

The following pictures are the breakfast nook area that we used. It is under cover outdoors and since it was raining, we asked if we could be there and received an affirmative answer.

photo-vi.jpg[/url]

photo1-vi.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement and understanding along with the nice comments!

During the anticipation of this trip, we had looked at a variety of different activities to do. However, as mentioned earlier, we finally decided that just "us time" was the ticket we wished to punch.

After a luxurious sleep (For those who do not know me, I wake up early NO MATTER what time I go to bed...it is the farmboy still in me) until 7:45 AM, I enjoyed coffee at the breakfast nook and thought about the day while waiting for DW to catch up with me.

She did and we enjoyed a sumptuous continental breakfast of sliced ham & cheeze, different types of pastries, fruit, and yogurt. I saw some hard boiled eggs, but being an egg snob, I was hesitant to try them when they were still hot to the touch!:rolleyes: I later regretted that choice. Good thing I have two more mornings to enjoy.

We prepared for our excursion of the day....a walkabout to see what dining venues would catch our attention and to soak in the local flavor along Ashford Street. The best sign of a store (and I did not get a picture-have to go back as it is close) was for "Fine Cigars and Condom World." I kid you not!:D:D

I did get a couple shots of water and sea life....

photo-vi.jpg[/url]

photo-vi.jpg

We eventually wandered down to a man-made reef system close to the San Geronomo fortress (we presumed) and enjoyed some time there in the sea breeze and giving the once over to the Caribe Hilton.

We walked back slowly hoping that the Waikiki would be open for lunch and it was. Pictures of lunch and its report to follow.

We had contemplated this restaurant and its menu on our walkabout. It had features that we were interested in. Authentic Puerto Rican food, cold beer, our favorite seafood appetizer, and an ocean view.

As we turned to head back and had worked up quite a thirst which needed satisfaction, we were thrilled to see that the Waikiki was open for business!

YAHOO!!!! Although, it gives one pause as there is no beach like Waikiki as it is quite rockey. We entered to a very clean and well kept establishment. We inquired about eating oceanside on the outdoor patio. We were welcomed!

ANOTHER YAHOO!

It would turn out that it would be a "private dining area" as no one else came out to that place. We quenched our thirst initially with cool clear WATER!

Then it was time for this beverage of choice at lunch!:D

photo1-vi.jpg[/url]

Note the nearness of the Atlantic behind the fence. It was perfect! We could hear the surf and enjoy a pleasant view.

photo1-vi.jpg

A little tidal pool complete with small fishes and a crashing surf! We stayed dry...thankfully....well except for the thirst part that we were doing our best to wet down with the Medalla!!!

Local wildlife provided entertainment as well!

photo4-vi.jpg

What a beautiful first morning!

Lunch report to follow...remember I said we do "foodie excursions!"

Our food order began to arrive.

We had a dozen oysters to start.....It took years to get DW to try them and now I can't eat mine fast enough to make sure I get my alottment! Just teasing about that....we are very good at sharing because we are each armed with forks and have excellent eye to hand coordination!

photo1-vi.jpg[/url]

Of course, you cannot say you have eaten Puerto Rican food and NOT HAVE Mofungo. We ordered the Mofungo with Ropa Vieja and asked for the use of Plantain instead of the yucca. It was delightful! I believe that we developed a partial recipe for it while enjoying it!

photo-vi.jpg

We also shared a Grilled Churassco. It had a sauce that was much like A1 but altered to have some sweetness to it. It also seems to be an easy dish to replicate on our date nights back in Dodge City.

photo2-vi.jpg

Well, there is much more, but I am on vacation. Will try to post a few pics of the hotel and tomorrow we visit Old San Juan.

I have been told to "Go Fly a Kite" a time or two, so I think we just will!

Thanks for sharing along with us!

Havana Day dreamin, Thanks so much for your "live" review. I just love them! We will be flying into San Juan next Thursday to board the beautiful Serenade on 1-28, when you get off. Please keep her in great shape for us.

Also, will you be using the bus system while in San Juan? We are staying 2 nights at the Sheraton Old San Juan. We are thinking about taking the city bus over to the Condado (sp) beach area for lunch and some beach time on next Friday.

Love your pictures! They are Great! I will be tuning in until Thursday morning when we fly!

Deb,

We have used the bus many times.Just make sure that you have exact change.We stay at the Embassey suites out there by the beach and use the bus into OSJ.If you have not been to OSJ,there is a free trolley that takes you up to the forts and around OSJ.

Havana Daydreamin,

Great "live from" so far. Enjoying both text and photos.

Wow! Because I have only lived in either New York City or now in northern New Jersey (which is just a 25 minute drive to Newark Airport), I never realized how difficult it is for people in the middle of the country to get somewhere. Glad you made all your connections. It would make me nervous to depend on so many connecting flights!

Have a great trip.

Just wanted to let you know that I am very jealous. For the past few years I have been sailing on Serenade every January. She is my favorite ship. We did a B2B a couple of years ago and I can't wait to do it again. This year we are sailing with a group of 18 friends and they all wanted to try out the Oasis. I am missing it already.

Please do yourself a favor and seek out Alok. He is a bartender aboard. You will have such a good time with him and he will take good care of you. Over the years we have developed a great friendship. Tell him that Marissa sent you and that I wish that I was sailing with him his year.

I hope that all of you have a wonderful cruise.

Wonderful review and pictures so far! Looking forward to the rest of your "live" review. We were on the Serenade last April and had a fabulous time. Have a great cruise and thanks for posting!

Sharon

After last posting, we packed ourselves and the camera and ventured onto the other direction of Ashford.

Our Mission: To find where we would be dining this evening.

We saw many interesting places but since we had our hearts set on PR food, we passed by Argentinian grill, pizza places, Mediterranean style food, Italian food, and a whole host of fast food shops that we can eat at back home in a pinch.

When it had become clear that we had reached an apparent end to the restaurant scene for Foodies on Foot we sat down on a bench to watch the world go by and plan our next move. We had observed a Cafe Del Angel earlier today and on the "recommendation" of Host Faith in her Serenade review, we decided to venture back the other direction.

BOY ARE WE GLAD WE DID! The business is clean and everyone pleasant. It is not cheaply priced, but neither extravagant in cost. Of course, we had to quench the thirst that we worked up once again!

photo2-vi.jpg[/url]

We decided upon an appetizer that sounded interesting. It is Sweet Plantain Balls stuffed with crab. While there was not a huge helping of crab, it was quite tasty.

photo1-vi.jpg

And while our waiter, Christopher, served us this appetizer he also assisted in ably answering our questions as we narrowed down our selections for food. DW ordered Angel's Puerto Rican Combination which is pictured next with Roast Pork, Rice & Pigeon Peas, fried sweet plantains and a pastel (the tamale looking item) She liked it all except the texture of the pastel was softer than anticipated and she was getting filled up. We probably should have walked further!!! :D

photo-vi.jpg

As a lamb junkie, I ordered Leg of Lamb in criolle sauce (a tangy carrot and tomato sauce). Christopher was quite pleased at this order and how deftly it succumbed to the skilled handling of my knife and fork. Since we were in public, gnawing on the bone was out of the question! LOL

photo-vi.jpg

We are currently enjoying Madalla Light on a patio at the hotel with a Montecristo Reserva Negra. It is splendid. There are some type of frogs called Couqui's singing in the darkness. They are very entertaining to listen to.

Up for tomorrow is old San Juan. Of course the forts are a must. I will most likely only post a shot or two there as there are plentiful shots of these historic sites. Of course, there will be the required food stops and libation delivery systems will be tested.

We have seen the Cathedral, but have another house of God on the horizon not far that we hope to take in. We are sure to be tired tomorrow.

Blessings to everyone's evening and thank you for checking in with us!

PS...I also like the larger pictures, so will hope to get back to them...at least while I have a good connection!

Archived