Carnival Sunshine.. New Ship or Lipstick on a Pig?

maxamuus

Just curious people's opinion on the "new" Carnival Sunshine. I know its really just the Destiny, and its had issues in the past with propulsion.

Is Carnival truely gutting the ship where it will be almost like a new ship? Or is it just a dry dock with some new curtains and a coat of paint?

Some of the European trips look cool next year, but i still keep thinking its just the Destiny. :confused:

If Carnival is your bag, then it should be fine. If you get tired of Carnival, get out and compare prices. I hear Sunshine is really cheap for those European cruises.. and if you want to see Europe.. this might be your best chance.

I dont have her booked yet.. sort of booked up until early 2014.. and looking already for deals then... but Im sure I will do her since I can drive to NOLA.

Its like Conquest.. most of the changes are new bars.. but a few things like the hamburgers and Mexican .. so new food choices to mix it up a little. Im looking forward to seeing the changes. Of course I got a huge deal on conquest .. so the changes are icing on the cake with the good price.

Personally, I think it will be lipstick on a pig. I just don't see how adding more cabins and reducing public space to a ship that's already overcrowded to begin with is going to improve the cruise experience.

Having sailed her as the Destiny feeling I was in a Sardine can, adding more cabins and cutting public space will have me extremely far from ever sailing her.

Was a bit insulted when they initially called her NEW before finally dropping that.

I agree with Pcheng. I think it's lipstick on even more of a pig. I'd be impressed if they were stretching it out to Conquest size, but I don't see how Carnival can claim putting another few hundred people on this ship, bringing it up to Conquest load (or more) can be a positive thing.

Only if everything you wanted to see was a hour from shore. Rail is actually the best way to see Europe.

if that were completely true.. and people didnt take europe cruises to see europe .. they would just cruise from their home port.

You go to europe .. and try to see as much as you can in the time allowed.. and get a little bit of several ports.

It's LIPSTICK ON A PIG!!!

Just got off destiny and they are remodeling cabins as we were sailing?!?

Deck 6 was done and they were doing the aft port corner of deck 7.

I had the aftcabin 7327 I was shocked when they started tearing the rooms apart imagine being in the cabin next to one they are remodeling.

This is my cabin

20121101_131912.jpg

THIS is what finished deck looks like

20121101_004057.jpg

20121101_004103.jpg

This is work in progress

This is the aft wrap I came back to get a pic of the progress on the last day but a worker was sleeping in cabin

20121101_003937.jpg

20121101_003912.jpg

20121103_004355.jpg

if that were completely true.. and people didnt take europe cruises to see europe .. they would just cruise from their home port.

You go to europe .. and try to see as much as you can in the time allowed.. and get a little bit of several ports.

Yep. Have done one Europe cruise...planning another. It would be many cruises before I will have seen everything an hour from shore. With the dollar being so poor...cruising is the way to go and the Sunshine itineraries look good and have good prices for Europe! I was on RCCL for my med cruise and hardly remember the ship at all!!

Having sailed her as the Destiny feeling I was in a Sardine can, adding more cabins and cutting public space will have me extremely far from ever sailing her.

Was a bit insulted when they initially called her NEW before finally dropping that.

Couldn't say it better.

I dont understand calling this a flagship though.

Is it going to be the "flagship"??? :confused:

I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude with this ship (wouldn't be the first time that a ship is condemned by the skeptics), but to name a 16 year old refurbished ship the "flagship" of the Carnival fleet sounds like an ill-conceived idea.

I dont understand calling this a flagship though.

why bring that up.. John has said it is NOT a flagship.

Only Sargent Shultz posts it is.. is this a personal thing between you.. because no one else posted this on this thread and only Sargent has said it was.

Having cruised extensively, and toured Europe, I can assure you a cruise is NOT the way to see Europe.

It's LIPSTICK ON A PIG!!!

Just got off destiny and they are remodeling cabins as we were sailing?!?

Deck 6 was done and they were doing the aft port corner of deck 7.

I had the aftcabin 7327 I was shocked when they started tearing the rooms apart imagine being in the cabin next to one they are remodeling.

This is my cabin

20121101_131912.jpg

THIS is what finished deck looks like

20121101_004057.jpg

20121101_004103.jpg

This is work in progress

This is the aft wrap I came back to get a pic of the progress on the last day but a worker was sleeping in cabin

20121101_003937.jpg

20121101_003912.jpg

20121103_004355.jpg

Any idea if 7292 or 7295 were done?

I never said it was the BEST way... it is one way to see some of Europe.

Between this and stu trying to stir the waters.. lol. bored much?

Not sure why you wold want to argue an opinion, unless you was trying to boost post count. Bored much?

Archived